PDA

View Full Version : syntace dropouts

bicycletricycle
07-12-2020, 12:07 PM
Anyone have a frame that uses syntace dropouts? I like the look of them in general. Curious if people have any experience with them, good or bad.

nmrt
07-12-2020, 12:10 PM
i have one in my No22. works fine. no problems at all.
though i do remember a thread here where some builder did not like them for some reason. thought they were just crap. sorry, can't find that thread.

Anyone have a frame that uses syntace dropouts? I like the look of them in general. Curious if people have any experience with them, good or bad.

jtakeda
07-12-2020, 12:16 PM
I also have them. No complaints

unterhausen
07-12-2020, 01:21 PM
Are you looking at bike that has them? I was thinking about using them back when Paragon didn't have a lot of options for through axle. I'm not a big fan of dropouts that bolt together like that, but a number of good builders use them.

GonaSovereign
07-12-2020, 02:29 PM
Plenty of top builders use them. I’ve got them on my No22 and have a Paragon QR skewer holding the wheel in place. Given no the choice, I’d opt for them again.

bicycletricycle
07-12-2020, 02:47 PM
Are you looking at bike that has them? I was thinking about using them back when Paragon didn't have a lot of options for through axle. I'm not a big fan of dropouts that bolt together like that, but a number of good builders use them.

thinking of getting a custom with thru axles. looking at the options and the paragon syntace ones look nice. I like the super thick hanger and slightly adjustable eccentric options.

zzy
07-12-2020, 02:54 PM
Rodeo Labs uses X-12 thru axles and thinks they're the best and simplest.

JPS123
07-12-2020, 03:06 PM
Parts availability is also a consideration. A builder has told me that is one of the reasons they use Syntace. They can be found in stock at a lot of bike shops. Bonus for road trips/tours in a pinch if you happen to need one and are far from home.

I just stocked an extra hangar for my Rocky Mountain 29er (non-Syntace). Took 3 weeks to ship to a LBS. As a proprietary part, got me thinking, if they go belly up or decide to discontinue, well, good luck if you need a replacement.

happycampyer
07-12-2020, 08:33 PM
i have one in my No22. works fine. no problems at all.
though i do remember a thread here where some builder did not like them for some reason. thought they were just crap. sorry, can't find that thread.This was the thread:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=249926

Around page 9 or 10 or so, Butch (one of the key builders at Moots for many years) commented that he was not a fan.

FriarQuade
07-12-2020, 11:15 PM
I built my 29'er with them, they're great. The hanger design is one of the better options out there, nice and stiff.

doomridesout
07-12-2020, 11:45 PM
This was the thread:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=249926

Around page 9 or 10 or so, Butch (one of the key builders at Moots for many years) commented that he was not a fan.

I believe his comment was based mostly on weight and not function. They do look quite burly, I wouldn't be surprised if they weigh significantly more than competing options.

happycampyer
07-13-2020, 06:30 AM
I believe his comment was based mostly on weight and not function. They do look quite burly, I wouldn't be surprised if they weigh significantly more than competing options.
Yeah, and then Tyler posts photos of Firefly’s 3D-printed dropouts which incorporate the Syntace thru-axle system. Not sure if it was intentional, but those dropouts are a striking contrast to the bulbous 3D-printed dropouts that Moots uses.

lsisle02
03-27-2023, 07:39 PM
Hi,

I had my Merlin in for service at my local bike shop. The mechanic seems extremely knowledgeable and they did a great job dialing in my bike (Shimano Di2) but he went off on the Syntace dropouts/derailer hangar. He told me it is impossible to secure the hanger in place based on the design and one bad shift or any extra tension in that area will put the hangar out of alignment. Is this a valid concern/opinion?

Also, I notice my axle is not a Syntace X-12 axle so I purchased one. Perhaps this provides the durability? Should I swap my axle. Does it matter? See attached pictures of hanger, current axle and new axle.

Thanks