PDA

View Full Version : Let’s talk about the “squishy” tired phenomenon

Tickdoc
07-12-2020, 10:33 AM
I’ve notice forever that on long rides (not every long ride but many) there comes a point in the Ride where your tires feel slow....almost squishy?

I know it is just mental, and probably due to exhaustion, but it happens a lot and I don’t remember it being discussed here before.

Anyone else experience this? Surely it is not just me. Hell, I'll even look down to make sure I haven’t flatted half the time, before realizing it’s just this squishy tired phenomenon.

Thoughts?

reuben
07-12-2020, 10:36 AM
I think it's your legs that get squishy after a long ride, not your tires.

weisan
07-12-2020, 10:41 AM
We deflate as we deplete our energy supply.

Mark McM
07-12-2020, 10:59 AM
I have experienced something like that. I don't think it is merely mental, but instead I think it is due to a neuro-muscular condition caused by fatigue, the mind perceives (or in this case mis-perceives) as squishy tires.

Back when I ran track in high school, sometimes after a really hard 440 or 880 (we ran in yard instead of meters back then), the ground would feel "wobbly" for a short time until my legs recovered. The likely explaination is that my legs/muscles didn't respond the way they way they normally would when walking around, and my mind perceived the awkward gait as due to the ground moving under my feet/legs, rather than my feet/legs not moving on the ground as my mind expected them too.

Sometimes, when I practice sprints on my bike, after a short by extremely intense effort, while soft pedalling to recover the bike feels like it is made of rubber, at least until my legs recover. Again, I suspect it is because under the fatigued state of my legs, the pedals (and the rest of the bike) don't move as my mind expects it should, so my mind mis-perceives the sensations as due to floppiness of the bike.

Maybe this thread should be linked the thread on Planing?

spoonrobot
07-12-2020, 11:05 AM
Sitting more on the seat and pedaling instead of riding the bike IMO.

ddtn
07-12-2020, 02:42 PM
Every time I swear it's the bike that gets soft and slows down after 2-3 hours of riding. Then I take a break and get on the saddle again and realize it's time to go home while the bike feels fast.

fijichf
07-12-2020, 04:12 PM
Are you using latex tubes as you can easily lose 15-20 psi in 24 hours? 4 hour ride = a loss of ~ 2.3-3.3 psi...check to see if your valve core is tight too.

godfrey1112000
07-12-2020, 04:24 PM
Everything was squishy today

Dead Man
07-12-2020, 04:43 PM
huh.. its kinda the opposite for me.. i always feel like my tires are too low at the outset, but it stops bothering me as i ride.

im also 145lbs and ride my tires 65/70 psi.. probably factors in

Ozz
07-12-2020, 06:00 PM
I am constantly thinking my tires are flat and brakes are rubbing....what else could it be?

Monsieur Toast
07-12-2020, 06:01 PM
I've got one loop where multiple times over the years I've looked back at my rear tire, thinking it was losing air pressure because it felt "squishy" around the three hour mark.

First couple times this happened I jumped off the bike and squeezed my tire to check pressure. Completely and totally fine.

Funny phenomena though, right?

Tickdoc
07-12-2020, 06:11 PM
Ok so it’s not just me. Makes me feel better, now if I could only get some of dead mans phenomenon:rolleyes:

I also notice how pure a given bike is at the first of a ride....like everything is in sync and working flawlessly, then after an hour or two I start noticing little things like a rattle or a slow gear change at a certain point. Probably just me again.

charliedid
07-12-2020, 06:31 PM
The worst is when you start out squishy tired...

Steve in SLO
07-12-2020, 06:36 PM
The worst is when you start out squishy tired...

Like when I get out of bed.

eddief
07-12-2020, 06:46 PM
eat two and call me in the morning.

Toeclips
07-12-2020, 07:24 PM
I've been there too,
Maybe I'm wrong but I think that the tarmac melts and we ride through the soft road top

Ever pull up to a stop light and you see the pavement "rolled" from cars stopping they push soft pavement forward

Might add I watched my face melt once but that was different times and stories

dgauthier
07-13-2020, 12:28 AM
I’ve notice forever that on long rides (not every long ride but many) there comes a point in the Ride where your tires feel slow....almost squishy? (...) Anyone else experience this? (...)

Count me in the opposite camp: when I'm really tired, it feels like every tiny bump in the road is magnified.

Tickdoc, do you pump your tires up to full pressure before every ride?

Tickdoc
07-13-2020, 05:09 AM
Count me in the opposite camp: when I'm really tired, it feels like every tiny bump in the road is magnified.

Tickdoc, do you pump your tires up to full pressure before every ride?

yes, 100 rear, 90 front prior to eavery ride.

soulspinner
07-13-2020, 05:29 AM
yes, 100 rear, 90 front prior to eavery ride.

I feel it often. I blame fatigue causing my form to go off. Also I ride a Cervelo with curved rear stays that do give some. YMMV. Oh, 85 front 90 rear 25 mm tires 170 lbs.