PDA

View Full Version : Cervelo Aspero: Real World Reviews?

jonbek
07-12-2020, 09:18 AM
I find myself without a road bike of any sort, so I'm leaning towards a gravel or a bike "all road" oriented. Not super into all the tech like the Diverge or Topstone, just looking for a straight forward 60/40 road-dirt or even 70-30 road dirt bike. I'll be in Wisconsin until fall and then likely Tucson for the winter.

I'm drawn to the Aspero, as a competent road bike that can do some dirt seems perfect, and the geo looks good, rather than the Stigmata which seems mostly dirt and some road. That being said I can't really discern much about the ride from the reviews. Is a "race oriented" gravel bike just hyperbole for unforgiving and stiff, or no?

Tz779
07-12-2020, 09:39 AM
buying a completely built cervelo may be ok. buying a frame and diy build may be a problem. check out what Hambini thinks of cervelo on his youtube channel. im not into carbon bikes myself, and have NO experience with them. just saying.

Jaybee
07-12-2020, 09:58 AM
I take it you’ve seen the cyclingtips review?
https://cyclingtips.com/2020/04/cervelo-aspero-long-term-review/

James Huang is pretty clear that the ride is stiff and not very forgiving relative to other bikes in this class. That was my take as well for the 30 minute test ride I took. It wasn’t “dirt” enough for me (a little too quick on the steering for my tastes) and I also didn’t think I was getting value for the spec. I ended up on a Checkpoint.

That said, if you want to feel like you’re on a modern road bike, just with chubby tires, that’s what this is.

yinzerniner
07-12-2020, 10:06 AM
I find myself without a road bike of any sort, so I'm leaning towards a gravel or a bike "all road" oriented. Not super into all the tech like the Diverge or Topstone, just looking for a straight forward 60/40 road-dirt or even 70-30 road dirt bike. I'll be in Wisconsin until fall and then likely Tucson for the winter.

I'm drawn to the Aspero, as a competent road bike that can do some dirt seems perfect, and the geo looks good, rather than the Stigmata which seems mostly dirt and some road. That being said I can't really discern much about the ride from the reviews. Is a "race oriented" gravel bike just hyperbole for unforgiving and stiff, or no?

Over at weightweenies there’s a while 40+ page thread going on about it. I was seriously considering the Aspero and many times so from reading through every post, ride report and review the following was pretty clear:
-The lengthened geo and wider bars works really well for going faster over rougher terrain
-Pretty light although not quite as flickable as others, maybe due to that geo or the frame design
-Limited tire clearance at the rear vs competitors. Especially in 650b sizing
-BBright bottom bracket is not the best/is the worst
-Not the most comfortable layup/design.
-Flip chip at the front is a cool idea but requires brake adjustment

So it should work for your needs but could get sketchier as the gravel gets grimier. Probably the best in depth review of the aspero came from, who else, cycling tips as both James Huang and Dave Rome are excellent technical writers

fignon's barber
07-12-2020, 11:54 AM
I'd check out the Orbea Terra. I've had one for about 2 years. Solid performer and can be found relatively cheap, with free custom paint.

tomato coupe
07-12-2020, 11:55 AM
I've had an Aspero for about a year. It functions well in the role you envision. I most often ride mine on tarmac and good quality unpaved roads, but also use it for gravel races. I run 32 mm smooth tires 90% of the time, switching to 40 mm knobbies for rougher terrain (e.g. Steamboat gravel race) or 25 mm road tires for longer road rides (e.g. Mt. Lemmon).

I purchased mine as a frame, and had no problems building it up. It took some trial and error, however, to get the front derailleur set up correctly.

radsmd
07-12-2020, 12:34 PM
Sounds like my Parlee Chebacco. PM me if you are looking for a medium.

mktng
07-12-2020, 04:44 PM
For 70/30. Depending on what sort gravel you're riding for that 30. Maybe look at the C series. If the Aspero draws you in.

Used to wrench at a lbs who dealt Cervelo's. There were never any problems that couldn't be fixed. BBright isn't the best, but it's not bad.

Aspero though...comes with a BBright PF (threaded) BB. So at least theyre trying!!

C3/C5 builds up a bit lighter. It's ever so slightly more nimble and more towards a Road bike than the Aspero.

Where you lose out is clearance. Manufacturer dependant. You can accommodate some 38 slicks.... Think Rene Herse and Panaracer.

GonaSovereign
07-12-2020, 07:25 PM
BBRight is probably the best of the press-fit designs.
The bike is nice and sounds like it’s a good choice for what you’re looking for.

Monthly Payment
07-13-2020, 07:06 AM
I was looking for a 70/30 road/dirt mix bike too. I took a look at Synapse, Domane, Roubaix lines. Especially the domane which fits 35mm tires. Not sure how aggressive your dirt sections are and if you need a more gravel capable ride.

Onno
07-13-2020, 07:22 AM
I was looking for something similar a couple of years ago, and went with the Cannondale Synapse, mostly because the geometry hit the sweet spot for me. I have two sets of wheels, one with 28mm road tires, and another with 33 mm gravel tires. Before that, rode a Serotta Concourse and a Parlee Z5. This bike is more comfortable and solid than both of those--probably not as responsive as the Z5, however (which is designed only for up to 23mm tires).

jonbek
07-13-2020, 09:32 AM
Thank you for all of the contributions, super awesome--thank you. :)