PDA

View Full Version : OT: Did you watch Hamilton on Disney+?

bikinchris
07-11-2020, 09:45 PM
Who has Disney plus and watched Hamilton? What did you think?

tuxbailey
07-11-2020, 10:29 PM
Yes.

I liked it. Asked my 12 yr old to watch with us and she was able to watch the whole thing. The songs were quite catchy.

I know that creative license applied to many events in the play, but it is still a good way to be introduced to the era of the founding fathers.

And now I also don't have to obsess that it will cost an arm and a leg to find tickets for a live show.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

jemoryl
07-11-2020, 10:42 PM
I was always an Aaron Burr guy....

https://thebaffler.com/salvos/hamilton-hustle-stoller

dmurphey
07-11-2020, 10:58 PM
Yes, Lewis Hamilton is the best, driving for Mercedes at the Austrian Grand Prix, he was second to Bottas.

echappist
07-11-2020, 11:59 PM
Who has Disney plus and watched Hamilton? What did you think?

Just started watching it with my wife, who's a big fan of the musical. I personally found quite a few of the numbers to be quite campy (e.g. the one with George III). Guess that comes with the territory for musicals. Then again, I'm the type who believes that 85% of the scores in Les Mis should be excised.

I would totally watch a version of the show with half of the music though.

Also, Lin-Manuel Miranda's Drunk History episodes are great. They really should show it in middle school/ high school social studies classes.

To hell with Aaron Burr. I may be biased, as I attended Columbia.

FlashUNC
07-12-2020, 02:04 AM
Come for the Mobb Deep and Biggie love, stay for King George. Totally steals the show.

superbowlpats
07-12-2020, 04:51 AM
Watched it on Disney+ the other night and saw it live in Providence last summer. I remember coming out of the theater utterly stunned at how amazing it was. By far the best musical production i have ever seen. See it live if you ever have the chance (and if COVID allows for it).

verticaldoug
07-12-2020, 05:13 AM
If you don't like the musical, then read the book.

I had to see it 3 times in the theater since my guests wanted to see it in London when visiting.

I can say, it is better the second and third time, since I find the word play in the second act clever. There is a lot going on and you'd be surprise how much you miss the first time around.

I don't think it works on the small screen. I think the setting of the theater and live audience adds a lot

ElvisMerckx
07-12-2020, 08:01 AM
I'll be watching Hamilton in a few minutes. After that blistering qualifying time yesterday, Hamilton is starting from pole position in Steiermark this morning. Race starts in 10 mins!

Yes, Lewis Hamilton is the best, driving for Mercedes at the Austrian Grand Prix, he was second to Bottas.

Actually, Hamilton was fourth in Austria.

Elefantino
07-12-2020, 08:15 AM
Saw it live on Broadway three years ago, from the third row center.

Haven't watched the Disney+ show yet but what we saw was a masterpiece.

There are only a few shows that compare: Seeing Tevye in "Fiddler," Colm Wilkinson in "Les Mis," Ted Neely and Carl Anderson in "Superstar" and Keith Carradine in "Will Rogers Follies." And Tommy Tune in "My One And Only."

DfCas
07-12-2020, 09:41 AM
We watched it twice. Once with the TV speakers and the second time I hooked up my stereo. I highly suggest using a good audio system with it. Lots of intricate harmonies and an awesome bass track that I complketely missed on the TV speakers.

Tz779
07-12-2020, 09:45 AM

🤣🤣🤣

windsurfer
07-12-2020, 09:50 AM
Not second today !

Spdntrxi
07-12-2020, 09:50 AM
seen it live with SF cast.. watched it on disney+ with full dolby 7.2 system. Either way it's pretty good.

tuxbailey
07-12-2020, 10:11 AM
We watched it twice. Once with the TV speakers and the second time I hooked up my stereo. I highly suggest using a good audio system with it. Lots of intricate harmonies and an awesome bass track that I complketely missed on the TV speakers.

I am going to watch it again with a better audio system in the basement.

FlashUNC
07-12-2020, 10:44 AM
seen it live with SF cast.. watched it on disney+ with full dolby 7.2 system. Either way it's pretty good.

The SF cast showed the limits of their flow in a couple songs, especially the post Paris Jefferson whose rhymes get pretty complex. Not everyone is Daveed Diggs.

echappist
07-12-2020, 11:05 AM
I am going to watch it again with a better audio system in the basement.

Maybe I should do that as well.

Once upon a time, I had a really good computer sound card and a decently good 5.1 set-up. Instead we listened to it through my computer laptop. That was a mistake...

Actually, scratch that, I still have that 5.1 set-up (which I haven't used in ages), just that I need a good external sound card.

bikinchris
07-12-2020, 12:48 PM

I can't find that on Disney+.

jpritchet74
07-12-2020, 03:34 PM

Thanks for sharing this.

Hai H. Ho
07-12-2020, 03:42 PM
Saw it last night. Amazing!! Miranda has a vision and he nailed it. His talent is out of this world.

King George was my favorite. Can’t believe his performance was a total of 9 minutes total during the 3 hour show.

If you haven’t seen it, then you are missing out. It’s something very special.

sg8357
07-12-2020, 05:41 PM
Just started watching it with my wife, who's a big fan of the musical. I personally found quite a few of the numbers to be quite campy (e.g. the one with George III). Guess that comes with the territory for musicals. Then again, I'm the type who believes that 85% of the scores in Les Mis should be excised.

Andrew Loyd Webber writes Musical Shaped Objects.

Check C-Span, Ron Chernow, sings in some of his Book TV,
interviews.