PDA

View Full Version : Age old question (carbon post in carbon frame)

brucehappy
07-11-2020, 08:25 PM
I've got a 27.2 Ritchey superlogic carbon post and a Salsa Warbird carbon frame. The post fits into the frame perfectly fine. I will, of course, be torquing the seatpost clamp to spec, but what are people's opinions on whether to apply some ParkTool SuperGrip Assembly Compound to it for install?

Thanks all!

mokofoko
07-11-2020, 08:34 PM
I've got a 27.2 Ritchey superlogic carbon post and a Salsa Warbird carbon frame. The post fits into the frame perfectly fine. I will, of course, be torquing the seatpost clamp to spec, but what are people's opinions on whether to apply some ParkTool SuperGrip Assembly Compound to it for install?

Thanks all!

I personally go with Finish Line's Fiber Grip when dealing with anything carbon (and set my torque wrench to at least 10%-20% less than what's recommended for the component). I'd heard good things about the park tool version you've listed though.

lhuerta
07-12-2020, 09:34 AM
^THIS^ ... but be sure not to confuse MAX TORQUE stamped on most collars, stems etc. with RECOMMENDED TORQUE

kppolich
07-12-2020, 09:39 AM

Thanks all!

How much do you weigh?
What sort of riding will you be doing?
Carbon paste and recommended torque would be a good place to start without knowing if you are a big or small person or plan on taking it on some rougher terrain.

djg21
07-12-2020, 10:20 AM

Thanks all!

Why wouldn’t you use carbon assembly paste? It’s relatively inexpensive. It certainly helps to prevent post slippage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mikej
07-12-2020, 10:54 AM
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/motorex-carbon-paste?s=a

I use this, no grit, no marks.

mokofoko
07-12-2020, 11:18 AM
^THIS^ ... but be sure not to confuse MAX TORQUE stamped on most collars, stems etc. with RECOMMENDED TORQUE
Oops, you're absolutely right, thanks for pointing that out! Honestly only ever remember seeing max torque settings listed (which I consider "recommended"), but my wording was potentially very misleading.

mokofoko
07-12-2020, 11:22 AM

Thanks for that, will have to give it a shot sometime. Was wondering if there was anything on the market that didn't have too much grit, as I do sometimes like to use it on AL posts as well (which sometimes causes scratches)

picstloup
07-12-2020, 12:02 PM

Could you please write out the name for me. Product. Etc.

When i hit your link i get the home page for alpiniste.fr cause I'm in france and they, competitive cyclist, well something to do with gdpr regulations, they are no longer available outside the US. But they say 'alpiniste' is a sister site. And they do have cycling products. And I'm about to buy a seat post and my frame is carbon so i'm like an interested party

:cool:

brucehappy
07-12-2020, 12:10 PM
Thanks for all the responses.

I'm about 150, and the riding will be mainly farm roads with some gravel, and some well maintained trails and single track at the local watershed. I don't expect super rough terrain.

As this is my first build, I just wanted to check with the experts on this. I bought the park tool assembly compound, anti-seize, and polylube when I got all the tools and things I figured I'd need to put everything together. I assumed I should use the assembly compound, but my google searches before posting this turned up quite a number of different thoughts on the matter, as you might imagine.

jefenger
07-12-2020, 02:15 PM
Could you please write out the name for me. Product. Etc.

When i hit your link i get the home page for alpiniste.fr cause I'm in france and they, competitive cyclist, well something to do with gdpr regulations, they are no longer available outside the US. But they say 'alpiniste' is a sister site. And they do have cycling products. And I'm about to buy a seat post and my frame is carbon so i'm like an interested party

:cool:

Looks like it's Motorex Carbon paste.