PDA

View Full Version : Is there anything fresh, new, worth watching on Netflix?

colker
07-11-2020, 08:19 PM
I like film, movies, motion pictures and can watch all kinds of it including TV shows, series, sitcoms. I travel a lot by plane and usually watch 3 movies in a row.. I am not that picky but it´s been 3 mo already that i open the menu of titles on Netflix and can´t find anything i bare to watch. It´s all derivative of stories, dialogue, photography i have seen before.
It wasn´t like that a couple yrs ago; madmen, fargo and many other brilliant series were available. Now the brilliance seems to be gone.

uber
07-11-2020, 08:21 PM
If you can get Amazon prime, try Counterpart. Two seasons. Very slick.

mhespenheide
07-11-2020, 08:48 PM
If you're into food documentaries at all, I enjoyed both "Ugly Delicious" with David Chang and "The Chef Show" (more cooking) with Roy Choi.

mktng
07-11-2020, 08:53 PM
I'm currently a few episodes in on Kingdom . If you don't mind subs and enjoy zombies. You'll enjoy this.

So far. Very good.

I won't hype it up though.

I find that there's alot of trash on Netflix (can). So when something like this comes up. It's a great treat.

cgolvin
07-11-2020, 08:57 PM
I’ve been enjoying The English Game, not so much about soccer as class battles, written by Julian Fellowes.

Also definite +1 on Counterpart

BryanE
07-11-2020, 09:09 PM
Mindhunter
Glow
Norseman

veloduffer
07-11-2020, 09:12 PM
Kominsky Method - Alan Arkin and Michael Douglas. Funny.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

colker
07-11-2020, 09:13 PM
Kominsky Method - Alan Arkin and Michael Douglas. Funny.

I saw that one. Excellent. Real talent at play.

colker
07-11-2020, 09:13 PM
Mindhunter
Glow
Norseman

Saw those too. Excellent.

BryanE
07-11-2020, 09:17 PM
Rake
The Crown
Rectify - is mandatory viewing
Travels With Father

Tickdoc
07-11-2020, 09:22 PM
Watching the Epstein thing now. Don’t watch that unless you want to feel like throwing up every 10 min.

David in Maine
07-11-2020, 09:31 PM
Tales from the Loop on Amazon Prime. Slow, moody and compelling sci fi.

David

veloduffer
07-11-2020, 09:34 PM
Also, i enjoyed The Bodyguard on Netflix (BBC series). Only 1 season (6 episodes) but may rumoured to have a second season. Well done.

yinzerniner
07-11-2020, 09:48 PM
But if so Palm Springs is an excellent new flick.

Also you then can stream a lot of tv that’s no longer available on Netflix, like Terriers which might be the single best single season show ever.

Might want to check out (not sure of exact streaming availability)
-Watchmen
-Justified
-Hannibal
-The Boys
-Better Call Saul
-Halt and Catch Fire
-The People vs OJ Simpson
-Legion
-Thief

joep2517
07-11-2020, 10:15 PM
If you're into food documentaries at all, I enjoyed both "Ugly Delicious" with David Chang and "The Chef Show" (more cooking) with Roy Choi.

Great shows. Another food show that was fun to watch was "Somebody Feed Phil".

On Amazon Prime, you may want to check out "Hanna".

Cantdog
07-11-2020, 10:32 PM
‘Pose’ is great fun, and ‘Disclosure’ is a tremendous documentary. Highly recommended.

whateveronfire
07-11-2020, 11:23 PM
‘Pose’ is great fun, and ‘Disclosure’ is a tremendous documentary. Highly recommended.

So agreed on Disclosure. Exceedingly well done and compelling.

choke
07-11-2020, 11:28 PM
I've really enjoyed the Scandinavian shows on Netflix.

Occupied
Bordertown
Deadwind
Nobel
Borderliner
Valhalla Murders
Warrior

And on Amazon

Trapped

williammmm
07-11-2020, 11:50 PM
Unorthodox
Giri/Haji

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcteague
07-12-2020, 12:16 AM
Dark

Truly mind bending, although it is in German with English subtitles.

Tim

Blue Jays
07-12-2020, 12:37 AM
Happily awaiting for Ozark to return for another season!

paredown
07-12-2020, 06:09 AM
I really enjoyed
-Babylon Berlin--German, subtitles: Caberet meets Phillip Marlowe in late 1920s Berlin
-1983 (alt history): Polish, subtitiles--set up: Solidarity is not successful
-Spirited (Australian): a whimsical ghost love story with a punk rocker

+1 on Unorthodox

oldpotatoe
07-12-2020, 07:03 AM
New movie on NF, "The Old Guard"..haven't seen it yet so don't know

Watching Longmire for second time..watched it once, bought and read all the books, watching it again.

uno-speedo
07-12-2020, 07:16 AM
Spiral (Engrenages) French TV Series. Absolutely brilliant.

ntb1001
07-12-2020, 08:04 AM
Watching the Epstein thing now. Don’t watch that unless you want to feel like throwing up every 10 min.

So true!!

Watched the series and how this guy existed all these years blow my mind.
What gets me the most is all the high profile “friends” he has from the Clinton’s to Trump to Royalty. Hope it all come out with his girlfriend getting arrested.

josephr
07-12-2020, 08:17 AM

Great lines from Ozark:
"I don't know $#!* about F^@*!"
"For which she is contrite."
"What about tar? What would i catch with that?"

Waiting for Season 4 of Ozark and Seasons 3&4 for Mindhunter. A few good movies on Netlfix, but the movie selection looks weak as the big production companies are holding out for HBO and Showtime-- both late to the both streaming game and are now paying big bucks for content. Some movies I'd like to see, but we're already paying for Netflix/Hulu/Prime so budget is tight.

worth watching again Netflix- People vs. OJ Simpson, The Town, Poltergeist, Silence of the Lambs, The Help, Schindler's List, The Pianist, Taxi Driver, Donnie Brasco, Alpha Dog.

Hulu - Once We Were Brothers (about Robbie Robertson and The Band), US vs John Lennon, How Its Made, I Tonya

Prime - Parasite, Knives Out , Manchester By the Sea (very depressing), My Friend Dahmer

Tickdoc
07-12-2020, 10:42 AM

Watching Longmire for second time..watched it once, bought and read all the books, watching it again.

Old guard is not bad. Definitely going to be more of them. It makes the second Charlize Theron film I’ve seen where she plays a god-like immortal (ish) character.

I’m much more partial to movies than series.

Thinking back of the best Netflix I’ve seen in the last year I think I likes “highwaymen” best. Such a good modern western with a touch of truth to it.

buddybikes
07-12-2020, 11:39 AM
Comedy's?

kppolich
07-12-2020, 11:41 AM
All of Cheers is on there. I'm on Season 3

BryanE
07-12-2020, 12:22 PM
Comedy's?

Norsemen
Humor is subjective

colker
07-12-2020, 12:42 PM

I really liked Pose: done by pros, talented and experienced w/ film narrative.

colker
07-12-2020, 12:44 PM
I've really enjoyed the Scandinavian shows on Netflix.

Occupied
Bordertown
Deadwind
Nobel
Borderliner
Valhalla Murders
Warrior

And on Amazon

Trapped

Watched those except for Occupied, Nobel and warrior. DEadwind borderliner and Valhala are excellent. Bordertown.. hmm. And i never thought finnish was such a weird language.

colker
07-12-2020, 12:46 PM
Unorthodox
Giri/Haji

Done. Watched those as well... Giri is very good.
I think my problem is that I have watched everything. I can marathon two maybe three seasons on a weekend.

William
07-13-2020, 01:05 PM
UPPITY: The Willy T. Ribbs Story

So much skill, perseverance, and determination to never give up. My dad was involved in motorsports when I was a kid back in the 70's so I was always interested in racing. I loved watching Willy T. race, the man always brought it. Excellent documentary imo, well worth watching.

W.

cmg
07-13-2020, 01:18 PM
what's the opinion on "Warrior Nun"? my nieces like it. Does it have over the top violence?

jtbadge
07-13-2020, 01:22 PM
Repair Shop is a perfect combo of people being nice to each other and gratuitous detail shots of craftspeople taking really great care restoring antiques.

C40_guy
07-13-2020, 01:23 PM
I saw that one (Kominsky Method). Excellent. Real talent at play.

Really?

How did that feel?

:)

When I first heard that line, I burst out laughing...I ask exactly the same question when I'm debriefing inside sales people after a call!

A great series...

Dino Suegiù
07-13-2020, 01:35 PM
My recommendation is to not waste any time on "Casa de Papel" ("Money Heist"). It starts out OK, and quickly becomes clichéd and excruciating.

"Inside Man", the film*, is excellent; this Spanish NF series rip-off is the opposite, bad.

*The first "Inside Man" film with D. Washington, C. Owen, J. Foster; the sequel film called "IM: Most Wanted" is unwatchable after the first 2 minutes.

colker
07-13-2020, 01:42 PM
My recommendation is to not waste any time on "Casa de Papel" ("Money Heist"). It starts out OK, and quickly becomes clichéd and excruciating.

"Inside Man", the film*, is excellent; this Spanish NF series rip-off is the opposite, bad.

*The first "Inside Man" film with D. Washington, C. Owen, J. Foster; the sequel film called "IM: Most Wanted" is unwatchable after the first 2 minutes.

I watched inside man. Quite the complicated plot if i remember correctly.

Dino Suegiù
07-13-2020, 01:46 PM
I watched inside man. Quite the complicated plot if i remember correctly.

Yes, a real twist finale and an excellent take on the "caper" genre.
Washington/Owen/Foster/Plummer are all super in their roles.
Spike Lee made it, so the direction is great and the cinematography is beautiful too.

Davist
07-13-2020, 02:19 PM
On prime the expanse is the best I've seen lately..

Hanna s2 was ok..
just starting dark s3 I like it so far

BryanE
07-13-2020, 02:29 PM
what's the opinion on "Warrior Nun"? my nieces like it. Does it have over the top violence?

We gave up after the third episode.
One mindless fight scene after another.
Stupid.

Cantdog
07-13-2020, 04:12 PM
Also, I found Cheer really compelling. File it also under ‘series I thought would be totally boring or dumb, but I couldn’t turn away from’

Cantdog
07-13-2020, 04:14 PM
I really liked Pose: done by pros, talented and experienced w/ film narrative.

Right?! The second season is great. I also really like that I had zero knowledge of the ballroom scene before and this exposed me to a whole culture that very much influenced pop culture now, but I had no idea existed. Really cool.

colker
07-13-2020, 08:02 PM
Also, I found Cheer really compelling. File it also under ‘series I thought would be totally boring or dumb, but I couldn’t turn away from’

It´s excellent! One of the best things i have watched ever.

colker
07-13-2020, 08:03 PM
Watching Nobel. It´s good. Very good.

LJohnny
07-13-2020, 08:38 PM
Another vote for Dark on NF.
finished season 3 recently. This is extremely well done and the last season wrapped things up in a way that I have not seen any other show do.

Watched “DEVS” on Hulu and it was interesting, but unlike the above, not neatly wrapped.

David Tollefson
07-13-2020, 08:41 PM
One mindless fight scene after another.
Stupid.

Maybe good trainer fodder...

cal_len1
07-14-2020, 08:03 AM

I actually quite liked this show. It did get a bit soap opera-ish at times, but by and large I thought it was a clever show.

cal_len1
07-14-2020, 08:20 AM
I really enjoyed the 2nd season of Hanna, if you liked the first season, I think the second one stacks up well.

Some others I've liked and watched since quarantine started
Comrade detective - Prime - Romanian communist propaganda film from the 80's, that's been remastered and dubbed by Channing Tatum, Nick Offerman, etc. Genius concept.
Ozark - excellent
Home Game - Netflix - I enjoyed this random look at sports you have never thought about.
Waco - I learned a lot about this incident, but also came out angry at the gov't
Molly's Game - Excellent movie on Netflix
Narcos Mexico - All the Narcos seasons are great, this is no expectation

jmoore
07-14-2020, 09:37 AM
Repair Shop is a perfect combo of people being nice to each other and gratuitous detail shots of craftspeople taking really great care restoring antiques.

I love that show! My wife can't understand why I watch it.

There's another similar one, Money for Nothing maybe? It's good also.

axel23
07-14-2020, 09:56 AM
+1

i actually quite liked this show. It did get a bit soap opera-ish at times, but by and large i thought it was a clever show.

floxy1
07-14-2020, 09:58 AM
Feeding Phil has been entertaining. His dorkiness takes a while getting used to

whateveronfire
07-14-2020, 12:50 PM
Watched those except for Occupied, Nobel and warrior. DEadwind borderliner and Valhala are excellent. Bordertown.. hmm. And i never thought finnish was such a weird language.

Occupied is fantastic. I haven't finished the current season yet, but the first three were very well done.

zetroc
07-14-2020, 12:54 PM
"The Old Guard" is great for a fun action movie with Charlize Theron kicking ass.

colker
07-17-2020, 06:34 AM
Occupied is fantastic. I haven't finished the current season yet, but the first three were very well done.

Trapped´s first season is TV perfection. Funny cause i gave up watching the first time: It builds up slowly. Story is the old "small town riddled w/ sin and evil beyond the unpretentious facade" but the cast of actors is so brilliantly above the silly sxyness of hollywood while directors play the winter landscape into the story. Personal feelings are also exposed in a realistic manner like scandinavians know how to do.

mcteague
07-17-2020, 06:51 AM
Just re-watched Train to Busan...best Zombie film ever IMO! Sort of Parasite meets 28 Days Later. Great cinematography and acting. Characters are fully formed and you really care about it when they die. And, like Parasite, there is quite a bit of social subtext throughout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ovgxN2VWNc

Tim

Mr. Pink
07-17-2020, 08:39 AM
Haven't read the whole thread, but, if you are/were a Bourdain fan, the Chef's Table series is well worth a try. Excellent camera work. The episode featuring the butcher of Panzano, Dario Cecchini, is my favorite. Check it out just for the views of Chianti.

tuxbailey
07-17-2020, 09:25 AM
The Avatar is there now :)

pooneej
07-17-2020, 01:40 PM
Dead to Me is great (in my opinion). Christina Applegate and Linda Cardellini are perfectly cast together in this. Bingeworthy big time

thegunner
07-17-2020, 01:41 PM
Just re-watched Train to Busan...best Zombie film ever IMO! Sort of Parasite meets 28 Days Later. Great cinematography and acting. Characters are fully formed and you really care about it when they die. And, like Parasite, there is quite a bit of social subtext throughout.

Tim

a sequel is coming FYI :)

Ozz
07-17-2020, 01:44 PM
We just wrapped up watching S1 and S2 of "Homecoming"....it was pretty good. Whole family seemed to enjoy.

SlowPokePete
07-17-2020, 02:06 PM
Sex Education.

NOT for the whole family....

SPP

Allcarbon
07-17-2020, 02:11 PM

+1 on this.
Molly's Game is also on Netflix as well.

Personally, I highly suggest Peaky Blinders if you're into old-school gangster dramas. I really enjoyed the character development, camera shots, and the costume/wardrobe design is great too.

tbike4
07-17-2020, 02:52 PM
Sex Education.

NOT for the whole family....

SPP

This. Very graphic language and sexuality and the cast is mostly teenagers but what happens with the adults is interesting, quirky and IMO entertaining. Gillian Anderson. ;) For mature audiences. Or mature 15 YO. Who knows these days.

reuben
07-17-2020, 03:19 PM
No.

Get a DVD of A Sunday in Hell and watch that.

colker
07-17-2020, 03:27 PM
No.

It´s on youtube. Seen it 10x at least already. Btw.. director is scandinavian as all the good stuff on netflix.

superbowlpats
07-17-2020, 03:55 PM
Down to Earth with Zac Efron. Just watched the one on Iceland last night. Educational and entertaining.

reuben
07-17-2020, 04:42 PM
It´s on youtube. Seen it 10x at least already. Btw.. director is scandinavian as all the good stuff on netflix.

Mmm... boogered that, and don't see how to delete this post. See below.

reuben
07-17-2020, 04:45 PM

Free Solo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urRVZ4SW7WU

180 South, which is actually based on Mountain of Storms, by a new generation, decades later.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK3TOHLFL50

No idea if they're on Neftlix or not.

Lotta history in those two flicks, if you're into, or interested in, hiking/climbing/sailing/surfing, or general outdoor adventure. Way too long to detail here.

Hindmost
07-17-2020, 04:49 PM
Snowpiercer

I'm not much of a one for apocalyptic sci-fi but the imagery and drama of this thing simply hurtle down the tracks.

wtex
07-17-2020, 08:03 PM
Not on Netflix, but cycling related - Ventoux:
https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/ventoux

jamesdak
07-17-2020, 08:35 PM

I've watched Longmire 3 times, you've got some catching up to do. ;)

mcfarton
07-18-2020, 05:52 AM
We just finished watching breaking bad. We never watched it when it was new. We really enjoyed it. The story had a great build each season.

oldpotatoe
07-18-2020, 05:55 AM
No.

Throw in Stars and Watercarriers and Le Course en Tete..the trifecta of Eddy movies...

reuben
07-18-2020, 06:06 AM
Throw in Stars and Watercarriers and Le Course en Tete..the trifecta of Eddy movies...

Yeah, but where to find such DVDs now, with WCP gone? I had an older LBL or GV DVD, but it seems to have disappeared. Or maybe it was another PR, I can't even remember anymore.

oldpotatoe
07-18-2020, 06:18 AM
Yeah, but where to find such DVDs now, with WCP gone? I had an older LBL or GV DVD, but it seems to have disappeared. Or maybe it was another PR, I can't even remember anymore.

Pretty sure they are available on YouTube, yup, just checked and pretty easy, with the right 'stuff', to stream to TV..

mcteague
07-18-2020, 06:28 AM
a sequel is coming FYI :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRvHl1dThlg

Judging from the trailer it looks quite different. The first was very character driven. This looks like Mad Max meets World War Z.

Tim

reuben
07-18-2020, 07:11 AM
Pretty sure they are available on YouTube, yup, just checked and pretty easy, with the right 'stuff', to stream to TV..
Well, I can stream internet stations to my stereo, so I guess I can do the same to my TV. Maybe I need a YouTube subscription or something, I dunno.

My TV can stay turned off for months, so I've never subscribed to anything, which sorta limits my choices on the rare occasion I want to watch something. I pull in the free OTA stations and a coupla billion streaming stations via Roku that I never watch. Well, I take that back - I did stream a couple of free documentaries from National Geographic.

choke
07-18-2020, 07:55 AM
Well, I can stream internet stations to my stereo, so I guess I can do the same to my TV. Maybe I need a YouTube subscription or something, I dunno.

My TV can stay turned off for months, so I've never subscribed to anything, which sorta limits my choices on the rare occasion I want to watch something. I pull in the free OTA stations and a coupla billion streaming stations via Roku that I never watch. Well, I take that back - I did stream a couple of free documentaries from National Geographic.There's a Youtube app for the Roku. You don't even have to sign in to Youtube to watch.

williammmm
07-18-2020, 09:34 AM
We just finished watching breaking bad. We never watched it when it was new. We really enjoyed it. The story had a great build each season.

Breaking Bad is probably my favorite show of all time. So tense. So many moments I was literally clenching my fists given the stress of the situation. Great character development and really hooks you starting the second season on...

William
07-18-2020, 09:52 AM
Breaking Bad is probably my favorite show of all time. So tense. So many moments I was literally clenching my fists given the stress of the situation. Great character development and really hooks you starting the second season on...

Ding, ding, ding,.....Agreed, so many interesting and tense characters, plot twists, and storylines.

https://thoughtcatalog.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/bell.gif?w=454&h=256

:)
William

mcfarton
07-18-2020, 09:57 AM

I was impressed by how it ended. Many series like this end poorly. The whole thing was well written. Watching it now makes you realize that it was on cable. That made it even harder for them to make it so thrilling. I am excited to check out the movie and better call Saul.

williammmm
07-18-2020, 12:56 PM
I was impressed by how it ended. Many series like this end poorly. The whole thing was well written. Watching it now makes you realize that it was on cable. That made it even harder for them to make it so thrilling. I am excited to check out the movie and better call Saul.

Better Call Saul is a great show too. I just want to warn you it is a lot slower to build up and not as intense but good show nonetheless!

slowpoke
07-18-2020, 01:07 PM

Set your expectations low for El Camino, but Better Call Saul carries its weight. I agree with williammmm that it builds up slowly, but it's good. Just don't expect it to be a prequel.

colker
07-18-2020, 01:46 PM
I am watching Trapped.. second season. Somethings i really like: no one is sexy or hot w/ ripped abs or great hair. On the contrary; mostly ugly and bizarre like us common people.
Then there is the humour: the story lines are full of gruesome, bloody, horrific details but the writers can´t help laughing at themselves here and there along the way. It lowers the dramatic intensity and becomes more human and clever; closer to reality. Only the scandinavians have this kind of brutal, dark atmosphere twisted w/ a sick sense of humour.

reuben
07-19-2020, 05:07 PM
There's a Youtube app for the Roku. You don't even have to sign in to Youtube to watch.

Well, danged if I could find it. All I found was.the one with a free trial. Then again, I'm not Roku savvy.

Hindmost
07-19-2020, 05:59 PM
Well, danged if I could find it. All I found was.the one with a free trial. Then again, I'm not Roku savvy.

Humm? I loaded the YouTube app on Roku and get kind of a normal YouTube but not their paid streaming services.

choke
07-19-2020, 06:02 PM

https://channelstore.roku.com/details/837/youtube

You can install it on your Roku from your computer, you just have to create an account.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW5rOXniIrY

You don't have to log or sign in to youtube if you don't want to.

reuben
07-19-2020, 08:02 PM
I found the free youtube (eventually), loaded the app, and it worked fine. I'm just not a TV person. I got lost after VHF and UHF, lol.

I just watched Tafi crush P-R in 1999.

Thanks for your help.

many_styles
07-20-2020, 01:29 AM
The Last Dance is now on Netflix! Previously it was only available on ESPN.

fkelly
07-20-2020, 04:19 PM
Jazz by Ken Burns.
Reconstruction Henry Gates

both on PBS streaming

Country Music by Burns too ...

Hawker
07-20-2020, 09:54 PM

I thought I was probably the last person in North America not to see this. I binged watch the entire thing in two weeks last July while my wife was visiting her sister out of state. Yikes....I don't think anything ever had me hooked like that series did. I didn't like the fact that I think I was pulling for the bad guys.....but then again were they bad or just less worse than the other guys?

It took me two weeks to come down from that. Whew!

Cantdog
07-23-2020, 07:21 AM
Also recommend the movie "heart beats loud" on hulu.

Clancy
07-23-2020, 08:19 AM

Comic book violence

I absolutely loved it. The girl who plays the lead is fun to watch.

Pure escapism

colker
07-25-2020, 07:13 AM
Norsemen is pure genius.

520arachnid
07-25-2020, 07:35 AM
Lol everybody go watch the first 30 seconds of Gaspar Noe’s “Love” on the flix and get back to me with your immediate facial expression :D it’s fresh and new alright hehe

oldpotatoe
07-25-2020, 08:33 AM
Comic book violence

I absolutely loved it. The girl who plays the lead is fun to watch.

Pure escapism

Just watched the first 3 episodes..already know how it ends..predictable but we'll watch all 10 episodes...

William
08-05-2020, 02:44 PM
Win the Wilderness.

interesting show, cool story of how the Ose's built their home. Follow up after the show was a bummer. Don't want to give anything away but it appears some people didn't do their homework.

W.

Ozz
08-05-2020, 03:16 PM
Watching "The Umbrella Academy" with family....sort of an X-men theme, so comic book stuff. Still, pretty well done and interesting...gotta love time travelling assassins!

Just read that Netflix is releasing "Ratched".....an origin story of the eponymous nurse from "One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest"....cast looks good.

cgolvin
08-05-2020, 03:29 PM
Glad to see this thread bumped as I reminds me to thank those who recommended two shows that I have really enjoyed:

Giri/Haji
Babylon Berlin

Tanks!

William
08-17-2020, 12:22 PM
The Last Narc

If you have watched Narcos or Narcos Mexico I suggest you watch The Last Narc. Investigation/interviews with agents and Narcos involved in what happened down there. Very interesting and I think you might come off with a very different impression of the people and Gov agencies involved.

<Edit> sorry, just remembered this is on Prime. Give it a go anyway.

W.

colker
08-17-2020, 02:24 PM
Cousin Sofia.... it´s a french movie. Very french. Sensitive. NOt much happens. I am tired of movies filled with loud noise, guns, bad jokes and this little one made my evening.

tbike4
08-17-2020, 06:32 PM
NOt much happens.

Then you may want to see Embers. After the apocalypse which usually has some weird S†•¶ going on. It may even be suitable for small children. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3503460/

vav
08-17-2020, 07:38 PM
Trapped´s first season is TV perfection. Funny cause i gave up watching the first time: It builds up slowly. Story is the old "small town riddled w/ sin and evil beyond the unpretentious facade" but the cast of actors is so brilliantly above the silly sxyness of hollywood while directors play the winter landscape into the story. Personal feelings are also exposed in a realistic manner like scandinavians know how to do.

I agree Trapped 1 is excellent. I am watching Trapped 2 now and it is way more "hollywoodesque". Still enjoyable but nowhere like season 1 IMO ( They even shot scenes where the sun is shining ;) )

Clancy
08-18-2020, 06:15 AM
I’m almost embarrassed to admit this but I started watching Teenage Bounty Hunters and I’m finding it very entertaining. Off-beat, irreverent and like Warrior Nun pure escapism. Completely mindless. Like reading a Dirk Pitt novel this show will do nothing to expand the mind but it sure will distract it for a while.

The dialog is unpredictable and the two main leads do a very good job. Lots of poking fun at societal norms.

josephr
08-18-2020, 08:17 AM
The Last Narc

If you have watched Narcos or Narcos Mexico I suggest you watch The Last Narc. Investigation/interviews with agents and Narcos involved in what happened down there. Very interesting and I think you might come off with a very different impression of the people and Gov agencies involved.

<Edit> sorry, just remembered this is on Prime. Give it a go anyway.

W.

Narcos and Marcos:Mexico were spectacular if anyone hasn't seen those. Will definitely check out The Last Narc!

Just watched the Waco series...it gets a lot criticism for a sympathetic portrayal of David Koresh and twitchy-trigger finger militant ATF/FBI. No matter what your position, a whole bunch of dead kids there. :confused: It was a good series though...a quick watch - only 6 episodes.

laupsi
08-18-2020, 12:32 PM
Try Fauda; not for faint of heart but very entertaining! Only 3 seasons :(

Tony Edwards
08-18-2020, 04:46 PM
My wife and I have been watching, and greatly enjoying, Love on the Spectrum. I quite enjoyed Tread, a documentary about that guy in Colorado who destroyed much of a small town with an armored bulldozer in 2004. Really fascinating story.

colker
08-18-2020, 05:57 PM
I have seen Fauda, of course! Great actors on a forward moving story w/ very good dynamics.

phishrabbi
08-18-2020, 06:15 PM

It's really good, and popular with both Israeli and Palestinian audiences.

Sort of like The Wire. But in Ramallah.

colker
08-18-2020, 06:17 PM
It's really good, and popular with both Israeli and Palestinian audiences.

Sort of like The Wire. But in Ramallah.

Homeland is originally an israeli series.

William
05-11-2021, 08:19 PM
I've watched Longmire 3 times, you've got some catching up to do. ;)

Currently watching Longmire myself, great show.

Oh, and if you didn't know....:)

W.

William
05-11-2021, 08:20 PM
...you may never look at the Matrix the same way again.:)

W.

JedB
05-11-2021, 08:21 PM
I watched "Mosul" on Netflix.
It was very very interesting to see a non-US interpretation of the hunt for ISIS/Da-Esh. Gritty. Good action without being over-done/over-acted (IMO).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosul_(2019_action_film)

axel23
05-11-2021, 08:26 PM
+1

just re-watched train to busan...best zombie film ever imo! Sort of parasite meets 28 days later. Great cinematography and acting. Characters are fully formed and you really care about it when they die. And, like parasite, there is quite a bit of social subtext throughout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ovgxn2vwnc

tim

axel23
05-11-2021, 08:29 PM
This is a great movie!

Tim

weisan
05-11-2021, 09:25 PM
My Octopus Teacher

notlance
05-11-2021, 09:51 PM
Calibre.

Movie. Set in Scotland. Split second reaction to traumatic event.

Steve in SLO
05-11-2021, 11:07 PM
On the lighter side of things, “Derry Girls“ is a charming comedy about a group of Irish Catholic school girls and their trials and misbehaviors during “The Troubles”. Very Catholic-incorrect, and lots of anti-English humor.
Warning: turn the subtitles on until you dial into the accent.

BryanE
05-12-2021, 04:37 AM
Atypical.
Sam is a senior in high school and is a highly functioning autistic.
Check it out.

mcteague
05-12-2021, 06:23 AM
My Octopus Teacher

Agreed! The title put me off at first but boy am I glad I watched it.

Tim

oldpotatoe
05-12-2021, 07:03 AM
Shadow and Bone..kinda involved but interesting

Jupiter's Legacy

Outlander(probably already mentioned)

Supposed to me another season of Stranger Things and Ozark.

cal_len1
05-12-2021, 07:16 AM
Shadow and Bone..kinda involved but interesting

Was going to mention this one, went into it somewhat skeptical, but got hooked.

Seramount
05-12-2021, 08:27 AM
just finished Sons of Sam...an investigation into the '.44 caliber killings' attributed to a supposedly deranged David Berkowitz.

https://www.netflix.com/title/81059887

William
08-07-2022, 02:59 PM
Trainwreck: Woodstock 1999

What a S*** show that event was. Given the way it was set up (or lack thereof) and ran, that show pretty much guaranteed it was going to be chaos.

W.

exapkib
08-07-2022, 03:33 PM
Just for something totally different: the Egyptian sci-fi series "Paranormal" is an adaptation of one of the most popular pieces of Arabic-language science fiction. The storytelling is great, I find the main characters to be very engaging, and the production quality is really high.

Set in Cairo during the 1960's, it ends up with something like an "X-Files" vibe, following a doubt-stricken scientist as he investigates paranormal occurrences in Cairo. Like early seasons of X-Files, it walks the line between science fiction and suspense-driven horror.

XXtwindad
08-07-2022, 03:53 PM
I miss Colker. I wish he was still on the Forum.

Veer96
08-07-2022, 04:54 PM
Redbull has amazing cycling coverage!

AngryScientist
08-07-2022, 08:00 PM
Trainwreck: Woodstock 1999

What a S*** show that event was. Given the way it was set up (or lack thereof) and ran, that show pretty much guaranteed it was going to be chaos.

W.

If you found that one interesting you should check out the one on "Firefest" - off, what a disaster.

notlance
08-07-2022, 08:44 PM
Amazon Prime

The Bureau (5 seasons) - French, available with subtitles. Addictive Binge Warning.

Intriguing world of French secret service, intelligence gathering, foreign infiltration, etc. Not the James Bond model.
Great character development and nail biting tension.

jamesdak
08-07-2022, 09:10 PM
I went through The Queen's Gambit a couple of weeks back. Thought it was quite good.

Epicus07
08-07-2022, 11:07 PM
Apple:
Severance
Ted Lasso
For all mankind (took me a while to watch it but it’s A+)
See

Netflix:
Dark
Mindhunter

oldpotatoe
08-08-2022, 06:37 AM
Acorn-
"Balthazar"..french with subtitles but great writing, stories..4 seasons. About a forensic scientist, coroner.