PDA

View Full Version : Fulcrum Rapid Red 3

CNY rider
07-11-2020, 06:16 PM
New wheel set.......anyone laid a hand on them yet?
I have never owned Fulcrum wheels but sense they are held in high regard here.
I can't tell much about the hubs used in this new wheel........can I expect typical Campy Record quality?

tomato coupe
07-11-2020, 06:32 PM
If they're rapid and red, you'll be flying.

DeBike
07-11-2020, 07:12 PM
I purchased my first set of Fulcrums, Racing 5 clincher, rim brake, from ProBikeKit about 2 months ago. I have been pleasantly surprised at the quality of the wheels and the ride. I got them on sale for just under $200usd with shipping. They are also nice looking with understated decals.

I got them for new Soma Smoothie frame/fork that I built.They are paired with Panaracer GK 26mm tires. I have probably about 1000 miles on them. I definitely would recommend them, and would not hesitate to purchase them again, especially on sale.

PaMtbRider
07-11-2020, 08:29 PM
I don't have that specific wheelset but have several pair of Fulcrum wheels including Racing 3. Very impressed and happy with them.

dddd
07-11-2020, 09:07 PM
On the less-expensive Fulcrum wheels, there is a steel, Shimano-style freehub body that is somewhat prone to having the bearings break in, wear and appear loose. The body can be replaced but can only be taken apart with a Shimano-style tool made from an old 13/16" socket. The inward end of the reverse-threaded cup-cone "lock ring" can then be cautiously sanded down, which will restore tighter bearing adjustment for longer than the original assembly did.

I found the Racing Quattros to be like 70 grams heavier than advertised, but the two wheelsets I bought (sold one, kept one) have been very solid wheels and have a better "4-bearing" style of axle/ freehub body that won't loosen (and perhaps won't require any special tools to replace cartridge bearings).

This is what I made for servicing the cheaper ones:
https://live.staticflickr.com/1935/44066422515_708e8d5998_c.jpg

Red Tornado
07-12-2020, 09:20 AM
Had not heard of this wheel set until reading this post. I'll have to search the 'net for some info. Currently running Racing Zero's; hands down my favorite of all the wheels I've used over the years. Very strong and very light.

Edit: Appears that Rapid Red's are designed for gravel/multi-surface riding. Did a quick search and those uses were all I could find in the descriptions on-line.

CNY rider
07-12-2020, 12:14 PM
Had not heard of this wheel set until reading this post. I'll have to search the 'net for some info. Currently running Racing Zero's; hands down my favorite of all the wheels I've used over the years. Very strong and very light.

Edit: Appears that Rapid Red's are designed for gravel/multi-surface riding. Did a quick search and those uses were all I could find in the descriptions on-line.

Agree all I can find so far is what Campy put out in the last 2 weeks.