PDA

View Full Version : Saul Raisin clip from Velonews

Steelhead
01-29-2007, 07:56 AM
This is very cool - I bet it was quite eerie for Saul:

Raisin meets docs, sets fundraiser
Saul Raisin returned to the hospital in Angers, France, to meet the medical staff that saved his life after he crashed in the first stage at the Circuit de la Sarthe last April.

The French sports daily L'Equipe helped arrange Raisin's visit earlier this month to the French hospital where he spent nearly a month. Last spring, French doctors successfully performed emergency brain surgery that saved his life after suffering a brain hemorrhage.

"I had the honor of going back to Angers to meet the doctors and nurses that saved my life. It was wonderful," Raisin wrote on his web page. "What can I say? Every one of them treated me like their son. My parents told me how great and kind everyone was to them during the darkest days of their lives. It was very surreal to see the place where I [was] for over a month and I have no memory of."

Earlier this month, Raisin joined his Crédit Agricole teammates for a pre-season camp along France's Cote d'Azur. Raisin, 25, is optimistic of a return to racing later this season.

"I've just been surprising everyone, including myself on how well I am doing," Raisin said. "The doctors can't believe it. Statistically, I should be dead or in a wheelchair. At first I just wanted to be able to live a normal life again. Now I think I can race my bike again. It's been like a miracle."