PDA

View Full Version : ebay shill bidding - as if we didn't know

keno
01-29-2007, 06:32 AM
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,176-2570050,00.html

I find bidnip at least keeps an item I win to a price agreeable to me, but doesn't protect me from shills. I find that I use buyitnow more. I can't remember the last time I actually participated in live bidding for an item.

keno

RPS
01-29-2007, 09:56 AM
I’ve never sold anything on E-Bay but have thought about it. The reports on deceptive practices have kept me away (other than buying a vehicle I inspected first).

From a buyer’s standpoint (as when buying a bike), which format implies greater sense of honesty or make you more comfortable, starting low and with a reserve price, or starting with a higher acceptable bid and no reserve? I have a preference, does anyone else?

dave thompson
01-29-2007, 10:25 AM
I’ve never sold anything on E-Bay but have thought about it. The reports on deceptive practices have kept me away (other than buying a vehicle I inspected first).

From a buyer’s standpoint (as when buying a bike), which format implies greater sense of honesty or make you more comfortable, starting low and with a reserve price, or starting with a higher acceptable bid and no reserve? I have a preference, does anyone else?
My preference is to see a totally open, no reserve auction. However if the seller needs to get a minimum price, he should set his reserve and have a low opening bid. Usually I won't bother with something that's got a huge opening price.

jhcakilmer
01-29-2007, 10:44 AM
I understand the shilling thing, but do people really pay more for items then they want. I usually know the maximum amount of money I want to spend on something, and bid right away, and just want to see if someone else just wants it more. My rational is "if I buy it on ebay, then it needs to be a very good deal, to outweigh the possiblilty that I might get scammed". So I just bid within my means, and desires.
Also, I acutally like those auctions that set a low price with a reserve, because many times I'll bid, and try to estimate what they have set the reserve, and bid below that. Then if your the high bidder, but the reserve wasn't met the seller has the option to contact you with a second chance offer. Then you know they really want to sell the item so, sometime you can bargin a little and get it even cheaper.....sometimes.
I've had very good experiences on ebay, and other online classified sites, you just have to be smart. Also, just to let people know, if you don't already.....if you see any listings with naked women as the gallery pic DO NOT look at it. I did that once, and my account got hacked into, and the next thing I knew I was selling a 2004 BMW M3...........but if I had an M3, I definitely would not be selling it...... :D

RPS
01-29-2007, 11:11 AM
Also, just to let people know, if you don't already.....if you see any listings with naked women as the gallery pic DO NOT look at it. I did that once, and my account got hacked into, and the next thing I knew I was selling a 2004 BMW M3...........but if I had an M3, I definitely would not be selling it...... :DSeriously, are accounts hacked? If so, what are they looking to gain that they can't do with a new account other than your history?

DfCas
01-29-2007, 11:24 AM
They are after the feedback history.A 0 feedback seller raises eyebrows and has trouble selling high end items.

DRZRM
01-29-2007, 11:43 AM
I appreciate no reserve with the bidding starting at the lowest price the seller would be comfortable accepting. I understand why there are reserves, but it seems to me ebay would work better with either reserves, or minimum but, why both?

Frankly, I always snipe (without software), I bid in the last 5 seconds of an auction. If you bid honestly up front, I feel like you often wind up paying more, as people talk themselves into beating you by bidding themselves slowly up until they have the highest bid. If there is only one other person involved, they will often talk themselves into spending more than they would have first put in. I've been guilty of doing the same thing, you chip away until you have the high bid, and now you are invested in winning the auction, I spend more than I may have first thought I should have. When I bid a at the very last second, the lack of time to get a second bid in keeps me honest, and generally the person you are bidding against can't get a new bid in either. I think about what I'm willing to spend on an item and bid it, win or lose. Sometimes it gets you a sick deal, b/c the person winning the bidding sees no other interest in the item, and does not bid as high as s/he might want to, because they are already winning.

The above does not really address the original question. If someone pushes the price past what I'll pay, then I don't bid. Once when looking for a new snowboarding jacket, I saw a long series of purchases between two people in Canada (same town) and figured they were helping each other by pushing up prices, or buying stuff if it was about to sell at too low a price, and they got the added benefit of writing great reviews for each other. I thought about telling ebay, but seeing how little they do about security in general, it seemed like a shot in the dark. I wound up getting the Gore-Tex jacket from the guy at what I thought was a great price. I don't think his buddy was in the bidding on that one. Frankly, it seems like you could do the exact same thing with a reasonable opening price, or a reserve. It's clearly wrong, but...I guess so is speeding right. There are crimes I worry about more. That said if I were buying houses or cars on ebay, I'd probably have much thinner skin about this sort of thing. For bike gear, I'm not sure how much people are investing in this type of scam.

keno
01-29-2007, 03:53 PM
is, for me, a key go-to spot for an item. It can be great help in getting a sense of the market and looking at how various auctions on different dates came out. Thinly traded items are always going to be a tough nut to crack.

keno

Dave
01-29-2007, 05:41 PM
Seriously, are accounts hacked? If so, what are they looking to gain that they can't do with a new account other than your history?

I don't now what was to be gained (other than selling history), but someone advertised cars for sale using my account recently. I've since changed my password twice, just to be safe. Still not sure if E-bay will let me bid on anything until they "fix" the situation.

jhcakilmer
01-29-2007, 06:37 PM
Just think about it, when they hack your account they have your rating identity, and guess who gets all the hassle of getting listing fees, and closing cost refunded....
I went and changed my ebay password, but also remember to change you email password. If their good enough to hack in to your ebay account, they might be able to get into your email, or even bank account. Better to be safe, then sorry!
It's only happened once, and ebay has to go through a varification process to make sure it's really you. They are pretty good about it, but still a hassle, especially when you all of a sudden want to bid on an item that ends in 40 minutes...... :D

barry1021
01-29-2007, 06:47 PM
I don't now what was to be gained (other than selling history), but someone advertised cars for sale using my account recently. I've since changed my password twice, just to be safe. Still not sure if E-bay will let me bid on anything until they "fix" the situation.

I was selling washing machines for a day! Financial info is kept on separate servers so they generally just get the account and the feedback-

b21