PDA

View Full Version : Just got into cycling, basic questions.

520arachnid
07-10-2020, 07:27 PM
Hey folks, my names Ian and I just recently picked up cycling after seeing the Lemond 30:30 and after some coaxing from my dad who used be a pretty serious rider. My dad let me ride his vintage Cilo bike for about a month until I realized this is something I really love doing. At 6’2 I could no longer ride the 56cm Cilo comfortably and I wanted to find something that fit so I went on a statewide bike hunt (very fun may I add, way more fun than shopping for a new car). I searched for about two weeks only coming up with bikes that had the components I liked but the frames were too aggressive (I live in a very mountainous Tucson, AZ) and then a couple that had the style of frame and components I wanted but were out of my price range. The bike I ended up going with I found on Craigslist and the gentleman happened to be not even a half mile down the road from me on the same road I live on. He was asking $2100 for his 2012 Fuji Altamira Ultegra Di2 with Reynolds Carbon 3K DVT wheels. This was his secondary bike therefore it hadn’t seen many miles at all and is pretty much stock aside from the seat, stem, Zipp bottlecages and speedplay pedals. Anyways, we talked about my newfound love for cycling and I was able to get him down to 1650. I’d like to get your guys opinion on the bike for the environment I’m cycling in and whether or not it was a good deal. Anyways, I’ve been riding the bike nonstop for the last week that I’ve had it and I absolutely love it, the rotor crank is super responsive and the frame feels solid when I’m up out of the saddle (unlike the cilo). However, being a novice rider there is some issues I have been experiencing probably due to form /technique. I notice that when climbing out of the saddle I’m able to sometimes get in a rhythm like I’ve seen the pro’s do (rocking the bike back and forth) and then other times it feels like I don’t have as much control over the bike and it is sort of wobbling underneath me, what could this be attributed to and how can I fix this? Also I notice sometimes when I hit a bump in the road while climbing it throws off the rhythm of my climb as well. Another question I have is what’s your guys’ stretching routines? I’m not the most inflexible rider, I’ve played sports all my life and typically stretch out my hammys pre ride (2 sets of 20sec each leg) and then my hip abductors and groin as well but I want to optimize my performance and comfort on the bike. My next question is pertaining to my bike, right now the majority of my bike is Carbon aside from the seatpost and handlebars, is it worth it upgrading those components or should I just focus on becoming a better rider and upgrade as I improve? Last but not least, I look forward to getting to know and share my newfound passion with all of you. I know Tucson, Az is a very cycling rich community so if you happen to live in the area and want to take me under your wing I’d be more than willing to learn! Also, if anyone has Rapha (or similar) Jerseys in L/XL they’d be willing part with Im definitely in the market. Preferably, I’d like to buy several so I can have one for just about every day of the week and I don’t have to buy for some time. Right now all I have is a Castelli Jersey thats too small for me. I’m 6’2 190lbs for reference, I anticipate slimming down with all the riding I’m doing.

Asudef
07-10-2020, 07:54 PM
Assuming the bike doesn't need any tune ups/adjustments by your LBS, first/best thing you could do is get fitted. I'm not sure how that would work in the post COVID world but that would make sure the bike fits and works for you.

As for the out of saddle, I'm not sure. Could just be experience or possibly a loose headset/cockpit (goes back to tune-up) or possibly a fitment issue.

The other thing you could look into rather than swapping out for carbon parts is figuring out if the gearing is right for you and the kind of riding you plan to do.

wallymann
07-10-2020, 08:31 PM
My next question is pertaining to my bike, right now the majority of my bike is Carbon aside from the seatpost and handlebars, is it worth it upgrading those components or should I just focus on becoming a better rider and upgrade as I improve?

so many questions, but I'll focus on this one: just ride your bike, and when you're done riding ride some more! your body needs to adapt and your technique needs to develop. spend only what you need to make your bike safe and comfortable and fit properly. link up with a club and learn from others. and keep riding!

PS. welcome to the peloton!

Frankwurst
07-10-2020, 08:58 PM
What wallymann said. It's like anything else there's a learning curve. You'll get it with time. A good fit, making sure the bike is tuned up and safe and time on the bike is the best beginning. The rest will follow. :beer:

weisan
07-10-2020, 09:34 PM
so many questions, but I'll focus on this one: just ride your bike, and when you're done riding ride some more! your body needs to adapt and your technique needs to develop. spend only what you need to make your bike safe and comfortable and fit properly. link up with a club and learn from others. and keep riding!

I read the thread literally seconds after it was posted and was gonna typed up something along those lines but got distracted to something else. Wally pal is spot on.

It's amazing all the knowledge and wisdom that took 30+ years of riding to acquire can be summarized in just those few words. Amazing! :p

oliver1850
07-10-2020, 09:35 PM
Great first post. You are starting out with a bike that's several levels above what most of us old paceline folks started out riding. The price you paid sounds reasonable to me for a pro level frame with 2nd tier components - which in my opinion give up little in performance to top level (Dura-Ace). I wouldn't worry about upgrades.

As far as suitability to where you are riding, it will depend on the gearing on the bike, your fitness level, and what your routes end up being.

Rocking the frame from side to side while standing is a way to bring the arm muscles into the equation on steep grades. Some folks may get up a grade more efficiently by staying seated and using a lower gear. If you feel the bike is wobbling, it may be due to low bike speed and low cadence (crank rpm). You might feel more comfortable with a lower gear and higher cadence. Some folks climb better seated in a low gear, others prefer standing in a higher gear at lower crank rpm.

Interesting that you mentioned road surface, as it's something that many beginners don't pay much attention to. I find that the smoothest line is the most pleasant and the fastest, whether climbing or descending. Keep your eye on the road ahead in order to avoid upcoming surface issues - while being mindful of changing your line, which could put you closer to the path of motorized vehicles.

ridethecliche
07-10-2020, 11:29 PM
I've enjoyed climbing much more since I dropped the gears and have something on tap which let's me spin up at will.

Can always hammer if i want to but it's really nice to be able to climb mostly seated when I feel like it.

cinema
07-10-2020, 11:34 PM
just keep riding. i heard standing on pedals will deplete glycogen faster since u are pulling up on the bars as well as hammering up and down. no need to upgrade that bike. it is likely you will make the wrong purchase now until you realize down the line what you actually need or don't.

wallymann
07-11-2020, 07:56 AM
also, continuing your stretching routine will help with your adaptation to cycling. this sport doesnt really encourage flexibility, but does benefit from having it.

reuben
07-11-2020, 09:41 AM
https://forums.thepaceline.net/picture.php?albumid=143&pictureid=658

Dead Man
07-11-2020, 01:30 PM
my guess your discomfort climbing is probably just you getting used to different gear to grade ratios. the difference between a 4% grade and a 6% grade wont be initially easy to perceive till youve been doing some good amount of riding, and i bet when youre out of the saddle and feeling wobbly or whatever, your cadence has gotten really low and youre more focused on your perceived exertion than your gear/cadence. "supplesse" will develop with time in (and out-of) the saddle and things will smooth out

as to stretching... man, all of my things are hunchy things, and it needs to be combatted or i get wound up pretty bad.. when i worked, i sat hunched over a desk, riding a bike is hunchy, driving is hunchy, even rock climbing is still hunchy in that youre always pulling with the arms, pushing with bent legs.. i counter this with opposite exercises - calisthenics. pushups -> australian pullups. dips -> pullups. my massage therapist chides me for not stretching, but ive read studies that show it seems to have a lot less impact on injury prevention than previously thought, and i have good natural flexibility that isnt going anywhere.. i do some basic/quick stretches immediately following calisthenics- stretch my pecks and shoulders, quads and calves, for like a ten count each.. but i just dont think and it hasnt seemed to be especially important for me anyway. YMMV

welcome to the board and the sport! sounds like a good buy on a good bike too

XXtwindad
07-11-2020, 02:04 PM
my guess your discomfort climbing is probably just you getting used to different gear to grade ratios. the difference between a 4% grade and a 6% grade wont be initially easy to perceive till youve been doing some good amount of riding, and i bet when youre out of the saddle and feeling wobbly or whatever, your cadence has gotten really low and youre more focused on your perceived exertion than your gear/cadence. "supplesse" will develop with time in (and out-of) the saddle and things will smooth out

as to stretching... man, all of my things are hunchy things, and it needs to be combatted or i get wound up pretty bad.. when i worked, i sat hunched over a desk, riding a bike is hunchy, driving is hunchy, even rock climbing is still hunchy in that youre always pulling with the arms, pushing with bent legs.. i counter this with opposite exercises - calisthenics. pushups -> australian pullups. dips -> pullups. my massage therapist chides me for not stretching, but ive read studies that show it seems to have a lot less impact on injury prevention than previously thought, and i have good natural flexibility that isnt going anywhere.. i do some basic/quick stretches immediately following calisthenics- stretch my pecks and shoulders, quads and calves, for like a ten count each.. but i just dont think and it hasnt seemed to be especially important for me anyway. YMMV

welcome to the board and the sport! sounds like a good buy on a good bike too

The science is definitely in on pre exercise "static" stretching - it's not good. Post exercise is beneficial. Lengthened muscles - esp the posterior chain help prevent injuries.

XXtwindad
07-11-2020, 02:15 PM
The science is definitely in on pre exercise "static" stretching - it's not good. Post exercise is beneficial. Lengthened muscles - esp the posterior chain help prevent injuries.

PS: OP...welcome to the Forum. Cool tag, too. Although "420arachnid" would've been better. Can you imagine the horror of a bunch of arachnids with a 420 "issue?" Mind boggling. After they're done with the Dorritos ... they're coming for you!!!!

palincss
07-11-2020, 05:25 PM
I'm not sure how that would work in the post COVID world but that would make sure the bike fits and works for you.

If only. We are a long way from the post-COVID world. We're not even in the 2nd wave of COVID-19, it's still the 1st wave.

palincss
07-11-2020, 05:37 PM
My next question is pertaining to my bike, right now the majority of my bike is Carbon aside from the seatpost and handlebars, is it worth it upgrading those components or should I just focus on becoming a better rider and upgrade as I improve?

It might be worthwhile to change components like pedals, saddle, seatpost, stem and handlebars if by doing so you could improve your fit and comfort. But that's about the only reason. "Upgrading" for the sake of upgrading (or weight reduction) is not anything you should be considering at this time.

If you have an uncontrollable urge to change something to make the bike prettier or put your own mark on it, consider changing the bar wrap. Color is very personal and a color change makes a big visual difference, and there's such a variety of tastes in bar wrap that there's a real chance you could actually make a noticeable and worthwhile change. Plus, it's cheap.

520arachnid
07-11-2020, 06:04 PM
[QUOTE=Asudef;2755353]Assuming the bike doesn't need any tune ups/adjustments by your LBS, first/best thing you could do is get fitted. I'm not sure how that would work in the post COVID world but that would make sure the bike fits and works for you.

Right on, yeah I planned on getting fitted as soon as I got my bike but was unaware of how expensive it is. My LBS exclusively offers a Retül fit which I’ve seen other forum members mention as a popular fit but I don’t know if it’s worth shelling out $300

520arachnid
07-11-2020, 06:11 PM

Thanks Wally, such a simple answer but it makes a lot of sense. I had just gotten done with a bike ride upon reading your reply and so I decided to go home, refuel and then go back out and do laps around the track til about midnight. I actually ended up having more fun on the second ride than the first so thank you for the warm welcome and the advice!!!

520arachnid
07-11-2020, 06:14 PM
What wallymann said. It's like anything else there's a learning curve. You'll get it with time. A good fit, making sure the bike is tuned up and safe and time on the bike is the best beginning. The rest will follow. :beer:

Thanks, I’m finding that each time I get on the bike I’m learning something new thus making each ride more fun than the last. Thanks for your help, also looking into a Retül fit.

520arachnid
07-11-2020, 06:29 PM
I read the thread literally seconds after it was posted and was gonna typed up something along those lines but got distracted to something else. Wally pal is spot on.

It's amazing all the knowledge and wisdom that took 30+ years of riding to acquire can be summarized in just those few words. Amazing! :p

Wow I feel honored, I plan on keeping that bit of advice in my saddle bag forever... The more I’ve ridden my bike the more I’ve fell in love with riding so I think he’s onto something 🤔

520arachnid
07-11-2020, 06:58 PM
PS: OP...welcome to the Forum. Cool tag, too. Although "420arachnid" would've been better. Can you imagine the horror of a bunch of arachnids with a 420 "issue?" Mind boggling. After they're done with the Dorritos ... they're coming for you!!!!

Hey thanks for the warm welcome man. Lmao, we’d be pretty f***ed. Spiders, as harmless as most of them are, are about as scary looking as Gary Busey. Funny you mention it, AZ is a very “420 friendly” state so ive dipped and dabbled and friends and I have attempted to get bugs high lol I remember one time seshing at my cousins house we each gave a beetle a fat ass hit and he was in like a coma for the next several hours. Do cycling & 420 mix?

520arachnid
07-11-2020, 07:00 PM
https://forums.thepaceline.net/picture.php?albumid=143&pictureid=658

Thanks mane, Will do. Who’s the rider in the poster ?

XXtwindad
07-11-2020, 07:08 PM
Hey thanks for the warm welcome man. Lmao, we’d be pretty f***ed. Spiders, as harmless as most of them are, are about as scary looking as Gary Busey. Funny you mention it, AZ is a very “420 friendly” state so ive dipped and dabbled and friends and I have attempted to get bugs high lol I remember one time seshing at my cousins house we each gave a beetle a fat ass hit and he was in like a coma for the next several hours. Do cycling & 420 mix?

Haha. Climb Mt. Lemon. Better than sativa. Also, do a little research on pre-ride (or exercise stretching) Better to skip the static stretches.

tuxbailey
07-11-2020, 09:33 PM
Welcome.

Please post picture of your bike too :)

Asudef
07-12-2020, 02:59 AM
Second Wally's advice, save your money on a fit until you get into cycling shape. Just pay attention to your body for now and see what needs adjustment, there's tons of information out there!