PDA

View Full Version : Pros/Cons: ti or carbon seatpost for ti gravel bike

DHallerman
07-10-2020, 06:06 PM
So, help me!

To keep things simple, I’m looking at two choices for the Litespeed ti bike that’s coming here soon. For the frame’s 31.6mm seatpost specs, what might be the good and the less-good of an Enve carbon post vs. a Litespeed ti post, which happens to use the Enve saddle clamp mechanism. Either post would have 20mm offset.

TL;DR - for a ti bike, would you choose a carbon or a ti seatpost, and why?

dbnm
07-10-2020, 06:09 PM
I'm running an Enve 31.6 on my alchemy all road bike. looks awesome. feed great. and less filling! :banana:

I've had several posts on my Moots RSL including the Moots post and could not tell the difference between it and an Enve post

Get whatever one makes you happy.:)

joosttx
07-10-2020, 06:10 PM
If they have the same clamping mechanisms and are of the same quality then I think the choice is an aesthetics one.

colker
07-10-2020, 06:17 PM
I would maybe shim the seattube and run a 27.2 seatpost w/ short saddle clamp if i aim for comfort.

ibis
07-10-2020, 06:20 PM
How much post will be exposed? On my Moots Compact SL I noticed more flex with an Enve post set pretty much at the insert line, than with Moots post. Both straight with no layback, but that was also 27.2.

many_styles
07-10-2020, 06:33 PM
For my future GB build, Ti for esthetics , to add compliance, esp 20mm setback with the ability to use a carbon saddle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prototoast
07-10-2020, 06:35 PM
Match your stem. Do you want a ti stem too?

Robot870
07-10-2020, 06:54 PM
I go with ti for everything I can - Just seems to last and give me less problems over the long haul......

Cornfed
07-10-2020, 07:09 PM
27.2 plus Syntace HiFlex plus Brooks C17 and you're living the dream.

DHallerman
07-10-2020, 08:17 PM
If they have the same clamping mechanisms and are of the same quality then I think the choice is an aesthetics one.

So no functional difference between the two materials, like one being better at absorbing road vibrations?

Thinking about it, that’s really my bottom line question. That both the Enve and Litespeed have the same clamping mechanisms just reduces the number of variables in my question.

Thanks!

DHallerman
07-10-2020, 08:20 PM
How much post will be exposed? On my Moots Compact SL I noticed more flex with an Enve post set pretty much at the insert line, than with Moots post. Both straight with no layback, but that was also 27.2.

Roughly 200mm of seatpost above the frame.

Gummee
07-10-2020, 08:28 PM
The longer the seatpost, the more it makes a difference. I had a Ti Dean post on my S-Works mtn bike and could feel it flexing.

Stuck the same post on a road frame and it felt just like any other seatpost

YRMV

M

Clancy
07-11-2020, 05:20 AM
Given the volume of the tires you’re probably running I do not believe there would be a measurable difference in flex between the two posts. Years ago I replaced the OEM seatpost on a recently purchased carbon frame bike with a Thomson post with set-back and was quite surprised at the noticeable difference in ride quality of the Thomson. But this was on 23c tires, 95psi, paved streets. Note also that a straight post and one with set-back behave very differently.

I would go with what you believe pleases your eye the most. I’d also consider the recommendation of shimming to 27.2.

SlowPokePete
07-11-2020, 06:36 AM
Ti bikes get Ti seat posts.

dot.period

SPP

colker
07-11-2020, 06:38 AM
I would go with what you believe pleases your eye the most. I’d also consider the recommendation of shimming to 27.2.

Frames these days are built to acommodate dropper posts hence the 31.6 internal diameter. If i had a machininist shop i would invest in producing the best possible shims and sell it to this new market. A 31.6 post won´t flex and absorb noise like a 27.2. I remember those USE posts which were popular w/ mountain bikers: they were small diameter and used shims.

PS: the most beautifull posts are campagnolo followed by PMP.

oldpotatoe
07-11-2020, 06:41 AM
Not 'cross' but a fair amount of bouncing around. Seen a couple of carbon posts break JRA, but 'cross/dirt, etc. Yes, you don't hop on/mount, jump of the ting when GRoad riding but..I'd do a metal SP..

NoMoreParagon
07-11-2020, 06:59 AM
I always have Ti post on Ti frames. But Ti posts on Ti bike at some point will creak. Guaranteed.
Only way to really fix it is methodical, regular, cleaning especially after wet conditions.
I take off the post, clean the post with degreaser, clean the inside tube with the same and apply a light coat of anti seize inside the tube.
Aesthetically the 31.6 looks much better than a 27.2 because of the more seamless integration with the seattube. However with wide tires I hardly notice the difference with a 27.2.
I was in the market for a Ti posts and, because PMP stopped producing the 14m setback, I opted for the Litespeed. Looks very nice. Lynskey looks the same but 25 setback was a bit too much for me.
Having said that I also got my hands on a Tito seatpost from Amazon and gotta say it looks pretty legit for the price. Only problem were the heinous decals. You can order it logo free but it will take longer

SlowPokePete
07-12-2020, 04:43 AM
17,000 miles on my Lynskey...how long do I have to wait for it to creak?

SPP

DHallerman
07-12-2020, 05:17 AM
If i had a machininist shop i would invest in producing the best possible shims and sell it to this new market. A 31.6 post won´t flex and absorb noise like a 27.2.

I see Cane Creek makes a 31.6 to 27.2 shim - that should be pretty decent quality.

happycampyer
07-12-2020, 07:05 AM
Frames these days are built to acommodate dropper posts hence the 31.6 internal diameter. If i had a machininist shop i would invest in producing the best possible shims and sell it to this new market. A 31.6 post won´t flex and absorb noise like a 27.2. I remember those USE posts which were popular w/ mountain bikers: they were small diameter and used shims.

PS: the most beautifull posts are campagnolo followed by PMP.I had a Moots RSL with a 30.9 seatpost, and found the bike overall to be overly stiff. I should have tried shimming a 27.2 seatpost to see if it was better—there was a lot of exposed seatpost on that frame, so the difference would probably have been noticeable.

There was a Velonews test many years ago that showed that Moots' posts were not as flexible, or provide as much damping, as a number of carbon posts. It would be great if they (or someone else) updated the test with more seatposts.

I opted for a 25.4 seatpost on this bike, and am testing out another one on bikes that have enough exposed seatpost to matter. Preliminary results are that it provides a bit more give than a 27.2 seatpost, but I haven't had a chance to do full comparisons.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-6Kzkbws/0/680be8f3/X3/i-6Kzkbws-X3.jpg

Agree with NMP that the step-down isn't as aesthetically pleasing as an un-shimmed seatpost, but for me the comfort outweighs the aesthetics. Also a fan of Campagnolo and PMP seatposts (in addition to Moots, Eriksen and Firefly, etc.).

colker
07-12-2020, 12:47 PM
I see Cane Creek makes a 31.6 to 27.2 shim - that should be pretty decent quality.

USE shims are very good as well.