PDA

View Full Version : Help with Moots post

cgolvin
07-10-2020, 06:06 PM
[EDIT, should have searched before posting]
After much searching for a ti post for my Ottrott, I just managed to secure a Moots two bolt (pics below). There are threads describing the "reverse bolts to cause the head to open and then slip a nickel in there to keep it open" method. Anyone have visual aids that would make this more clear? A video or slideshow would really help.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50098981887_c578625652_b.jpg
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50098174818_5a20cde05e_b.jpg

Mike V
07-10-2020, 06:25 PM
Get ready for swearing and fits of rage. Those are a pain in the azz!

ibis
07-10-2020, 06:26 PM
*edit*

Idris Icabod
07-10-2020, 06:28 PM
I've got this post. What you need is a **** tonne of nickels, at least 10. Take out the bolts and start stuffing them in to spread the thing apart. Every so often it is like Jenga and they'll be catapulted out all over your garage. Make sure you like the saddle because it is a pain in the arse job.

cgolvin
07-10-2020, 06:51 PM
Oh joy.
I think someone mentioned a tool to assist in this, and I see a blog post pointing to a cal-van one that apparently Moots used to sell. Anyone have a suggestion on an alternative? Looks like this:
https://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4177/1071/1600/IMG_4044.jpg

pdonk
07-10-2020, 07:01 PM
While a PITA, once you get a system kn place it is pretty easy. My trick was to put one biscuit and saddle in and then slide saddle all the way forward on rails with nose pointing down and you can then spread clamp ust a little and slide in other biscuit.

In terms of the tool, pretty sure knipex has them.

Idris Icabod
07-10-2020, 08:19 PM
Every time I've messed with the post I always think I'm going to buy that tool. But I've changed my saddled 3 times in 15 years. And in my above post i said nickles. Actually dimes is what you need. I'm a stupid Brit and even after 22 years in the States still can't remember what the bloody coins are called.

Dino SuegiĆ¹
07-10-2020, 11:46 PM
"Penny Trick" (but use dimes or quarters, pennies are far too soft).

This article by Jan Heine, with photographs, explains it very clearly. (https://janheine.wordpress.com/2012/01/17/inserting-a-handlebar-into-a-stem/?iframe=true&preview=true/)

There is no need to buy the Knipex etc tool, since this is a rare job for the home mechanic.

cgolvin
07-11-2020, 12:25 AM
Thanks all, will consult that resource and give it a try tomorrow with a suitable denomination. Much appreciated as always

Peter B
07-11-2020, 12:32 AM
Charles,

Insert a large flat blade screwdriver horizontally into the center of the slot. Carefully turn it 90* clockwise so that the blade is now vertical in the slot to spread the clamp. It will remain in place and keep the clamp open. Slide lower cradle into place, set saddle rails onto lower cradle and carefully slide upper cradle into place. Gently twist the screwdriver back to horizontal.

Its really not that hard. I've got this post on several bikes and its never been difficult for me to install or swap saddles.

Butch
07-11-2020, 10:37 AM
One thing to notice is we used to make the "biscuits" with a champfer on one or both of them depending on the vintage. Having mounted countless saddles on these posts over the years the technique I used was to put the post upside down between my legs while sitting in a chair, put the biscuit without the champfer in, place the saddle in the grooves, and then spread the clamp using Cal Van spreaders or the big flathead screwdriver enough to slide the biscuit with the champfer into the clamp and on the rails. You will need to get the first biscuit with the rails in the grooves pushed into the clamp before the second biscuit will go in easily.

Don't get me wrong it is a pain but with enough practice it can be done without too much distress. The big pain is getting the tilt where you want it because that changes as you tighten the bolts.

While I was at Moots we made and sold thousands of these posts. Be aware Moots no longer has any of the biscuits.

FYI Brad Bingham designed the Cinch Post in order for us to get away from that design and IMO scored a hit with that.

cgolvin
07-11-2020, 05:24 PM
Thanks everyone, in particular Peter, since the flathead screwdriver technique worked out (evidence below). This saddle is due to be replaced but I feel a lot more confident about doing that now that I've wrestled one in there.

mhespenheide
07-11-2020, 06:35 PM
Looks stellar, at any rate!

cgolvin
07-12-2020, 11:22 AM
Looks stellar, at any rate!

Thanks Mark, need to update its thread in the gallery once I settle on a saddle.