PDA

View Full Version : Track/fixed expert wheel help

Jack Brunk
01-28-2007, 11:09 PM
Okay, I need imput on what new rims to use for a second wheel set. I don't want to use older rims. Who makes a top notch 32 spoke hole rim to be teamed up with say a set of Phil Wood hubs?

Thanks,
Jack

coylifut
01-28-2007, 11:18 PM
are they going to be used on the track for racing, on the track for trainin or on the road for training?

Jack Brunk
01-28-2007, 11:39 PM
That's a good question. More than likely they will see more time on the road than on the track but I want them to be track worthy. I will be using them on my Serotta. James at King's was giving me ***** yesterday about my Suezue hubs and now I'm thinking about building a new set. One thing is I'll want the Wood hub that can be used as a fixed/freewheel option.

Jack

ndoshi72c
01-29-2007, 01:44 AM
Phils are great, but just a point to ponder: Don't listen to James. I know that guy. Saw him at Carson velodrome today actually. He gives everyone crap about everything they're riding. I mean he's a bike salesman after all. I saw your Suzue wheels; they're great.

Anyway, if you're still going to go through with it you can't go wrong with Open Pros. I've also personally had my eye on NOS Mavic CXP 30 rims though. They're no longer made but are basically Mavic's Velocity Deep V, just higher quality. Some people I know love those as stout aero rims for fixed training. I have yet to find a great deal on them.

Climb01742
01-29-2007, 05:21 AM
jack, why not PM 11.4? the man knows his stuff.

znfdl
01-29-2007, 06:27 AM
Jack:

Ergott built me a set of fixie wheels,

FW: Campy record hub, with IRD Cadence Aero, 14/15 spokes
RW: Phil Fixed/Fixed Hub with IRD Candence Aero, 14/15 spokes

Rock solid and gives a good ride

djg
01-29-2007, 06:47 AM
Seems like maybe the thing to do is ignore the guy.

Or you could send a pm to a real trackie, which is to say somebody other than me. But if the goal here is to construct a set of primo track wheels that can also work on the road, I have to wonder whether a fixed/free hub laced to clincher rims is really the quick route to an echt track wheelset (ya know, the shet veritable).

Too Tall
01-29-2007, 07:22 AM
Man you are allllll mixed up!!! Velocity makes the Deep V not mavic ;) xxoo.

Jack, those Suzui hubs are just fine. You want I should hurt that guy for yah? ;)

I've got some Deep Vee track wheels and they are cool for training but darn if they aren't kinda dead on the track. Just a bit heavy maybe for pack racing, they don't spin up as fast as my other wheels.

Actually, any good road rim is a nice choice for mixed use. Track wheels are going to be stronger anyway so you really don't have to overbuild them agreed? These are tubular yes? Velocity escape is nice.

FlaRider
01-29-2007, 09:38 AM
Jack -

Contact John Dacey at Business Cycles in Miami (305-273-4440). He specializes in track components and I trust his knowledge and judgment immensely. If he thinks something is overpriced and not worth the money, he will tell you upfront, rather than make the sale. That's a trait that is often difficult to find in the bike business.

He's also one of the finest wheelbuilders around. He has built several wheels for me (for road riding) and they have all been built sensibly and have been bomb proof.

Tell him Rafael sent you.

obtuse
01-29-2007, 09:57 AM
jack-

you want tubulars or clinchers?

obtuse

petitelilpettit
01-29-2007, 10:13 AM
First off, I'm sorry Jack that I gave you crap about your Suzue hubs. I just thought that you wanted to buy something. Mr. Too Tall, feel free to come on down to SoCal and beat me up. Just send me a PM and I'll tell you where I am.

In regards to the post, and knowing that you like to run tubulars, either the Velocity Escapes or the Mavic Reflex rims would be fine for the set. The Escape has more of an aero profile than the Reflex, which has more of a box cross-section.

Pettit
ndoshi72c - I wasn't at the velodrome on Saturday.

obtuse
01-29-2007, 10:23 AM
mavic reflex or ambrosio nemesis.

obtuse

Jack Brunk
01-29-2007, 10:41 AM
Thanks guys for the information. I thought you guys would just assume that the wheels would be tubular as I don't own a single clincher.

Jack

coylifut
01-29-2007, 12:38 PM
Jack. For some reason the wheels on this bike strike me as fitting your fine taste.

http://www.desalvocycles.com/?p=steel_track

ergott
01-29-2007, 12:44 PM
http://www.velocityusa.com/default.asp?contentID=588

Worth considering.

Heavy, but stiff as all heck and very track worthy.

Jack Brunk
01-29-2007, 12:45 PM
Coy,

Those are sweet!!

J

flyingscot
01-29-2007, 07:08 PM
Jack
You probably know this already, but the graphics of those Reynolds wheels have changed for '07

http://www.reynoldscycling.com/products_wheels_dvtrack.html

Reynolds rims, DT spokes and PW hubs
Pretty tasty combination there!