PDA

View Full Version : Parlee Chebacco-info?opinions?

Ken Robb
07-10-2020, 11:56 AM
A pal has asked my opinion as to whether he should buy a used one 3 years old for $3000. I know nothing about them. I am aware that "gravel bike" is a very trendy and fast-changing genre and it SEEMS that many fans "upgrade" frequently so I guess original buyers do take quite a hit in depreciation. I read a couple of reviews which made this model sound very desirable back in 2016.

Does this sound like a smart buy or has state of the art moved so fast that a new bike for around $3000 might be a better buy with equal performance for less $$?

prototoast
07-10-2020, 12:15 PM
Some of the early Chebaccos were a weird mix of axle and brake standards. I think the 2017 (if that's what you mean by 3 years old) uses post mount brakes, 15mm axle front, and 12mm axle rear. That's okay, but a little outdated as far as gravel bikes go. The big question, as far as whether or not $3000 is a good price is what type of components it has. If it has etap/di2 and Enve wheels, $3000 is a decent price. If it's 1x Force or 2x Ultegra with generic wheels, that price is too high.

weiwentg
07-10-2020, 12:30 PM
A pal has asked my opinion as to whether he should buy a used one 3 years old for $3000. I know nothing about them. I am aware that "gravel bike" is a very trendy and fast-changing genre and it SEEMS that many fans "upgrade" frequently so I guess original buyers do take quite a hit in depreciation. I read a couple of reviews which made this model sound very desirable back in 2016.

Does this sound like a smart buy or has state of the art moved so fast that a new bike for around $3000 might be a better buy with equal performance for less $$?

It’s a very good bike. It is one of the road-bikiest gravel bikes ever made, which I find fine. I do not think I’d pay $3k for a used 2017 one, even if it used flat mount disc brakes (not sure when they changed over; my 2019 has flat mount). Also, that’s going to come with a road group and road-ish gearing, (50/34 and 11-34) which is fine for me but may not be fine for everyone.

radsmd
07-10-2020, 12:55 PM

I have mine listed locally, may be the one your pal is asking about. You can reach out to me directly if I can be of assistance.

Ken Robb
07-10-2020, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the replies. I forwarded them to my friend. Don't be shy about suggesting alternatives. He has very little cycling experience as far as I know. Heck, since he thought to ask me for advice we know he can't be too sharp, right?

weisan
07-10-2020, 02:44 PM
Heck, since he thought to ask me for advice we know he can't be too sharp, right?

hahaha....right.;)

Spdntrxi
07-10-2020, 02:48 PM
Parlee are very good bikes. although the chewy is likely a made in china frame I think quality is still there. For instance I've owned a Z5i road frame forever and always felt like it was a great riding bike. Now I own a Parlee Z0 , but I feel the Z5i is 90% of a Z0.

Kyle h
07-10-2020, 03:26 PM
I owned a Chebacco before my Firefly AR and absolutely loved it. The only downside to it was PF bb. It was an otherwise rock star. Comfortable over all terrain, 42c+ tire clearance, build quality was great, handling was predictable. An awesome bike that I would not have sold if I didn’t have the shot to pick up the FF that replaced it.

radsmd
07-10-2020, 03:30 PM
I owned a Chebacco before my Firefly AR and absolutely loved it. The only downside to it was PF bb. It was an otherwise rock star. Comfortable over all terrain, 42c+ tire clearance, build quality was great, handling was predictable. An awesome bike that I would not have sold if I didn’t have the shot to pick up the FF that replaced it.

Exact same story for me. Only reason I am selling the Chebacco is I picked up a Firefly Allroad. Otherwise the Parlee was my perfect gravel bike. Even thought about keeping it, but it would cost more in the long run with a divorce (wife warned me already). :eek:

Kyle h
07-10-2020, 03:34 PM
Even thought about keeping it, but it would cost more in the long run with a divorce (wife warned me already). :eek:

I’m toeing that line at the moment so any advice you have would be much welcomed, ha.

weiwentg
07-10-2020, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the replies. I forwarded them to my friend. Don't be shy about suggesting alternatives. He has very little cycling experience as far as I know. Heck, since he thought to ask me for advice we know he can't be too sharp, right?

The Chebacco is a pretty premium bike. Is he sure he wants something that high end just to start with?

Then again, it's a very viable bike for both road and off-road. It's not really cut out for singletrack, according to some reviews I read. I took mine on some local singletrack just for fun, and I'd agree - although I'm not exactly cut out for singletrack myself.

If he wanted something new and cheap, then boy, there are a lot of options. Trek Domane or Checkpoint Al rise to the top of my mind, but that's mainly because they just announced the 2021 Domane Al series.

guru
07-10-2020, 04:46 PM
How does it fit in as an endurance geometry road bike especially particularly on fast group rides ?

John H.
07-10-2020, 05:27 PM
I used to have a Chebacco- It was the thru axle version but if I recall it was 15mm instead of 12mm.
Doesn't matter if you have wheels that take different caps or are starting with new wheels.
The only issue I ever had was with the headset. The cap tended to collect water underneath it- have to be careful in rain or aggressive washing. Also the cap would tend to drift sideways over time. It didn't always follow the steerer tube.

Other than that- the bike rode great- as a gravel bike and as a road bike. I brought it to Maui for 2.5 weeks a few winters ago. Rode it hundreds of miles while there including Haleakala.

Geemalar
07-10-2020, 07:53 PM
@ guru......

One of the crew that rides with us uses his Chebacco for road and gravel........just last week he finished off a 110 mile road ride on it, which is pretty typical on a weekend ride.

As far as performance, he’s usually the one we are chasing during more spirited rides. Seems like the bike is more than capable for anything thrown it’s way.......

Never ridden the Chebacco, but I have an Altum..........can’t say enough good things about the Parlee brand.

Hilltopperny
07-10-2020, 08:08 PM
I owned an early Chebacco that was an extra team bike. It still had quick release skewers and came with di2. It was a very nice bicycle and definitely rode quite well.

Not sure what the going rate is at this point and as stated the standards on gravel bikes has changed quite quickly. If it is well equipped then I don’t think $3,000 is a stretch, but it should at the very least have thru axles and a good wheel set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

radsmd
07-10-2020, 08:15 PM
If anybody is interested in a Medium sized Chebacco, Ultegra Di2, then let me know. I can certainly do a PL forum deal. Listed it locally first because I'd rather not need to deal with packing/shipping a full bike. Local pricing also reflects the usual low-balling that comes with it.

Will prob find some time this weekend to list it properly here.

Tan

ltwtsculler91
07-10-2020, 08:37 PM
@ guru......

One of the crew that rides with us uses his Chebacco for road and gravel........just last week he finished off a 110 mile road ride on it, which is pretty typical on a weekend ride.

As far as performance, he’s usually the one we are chasing during more spirited rides. Seems like the bike is more than capable for anything thrown it’s way.......

Never ridden the Chebacco, but I have an Altum..........can’t say enough good things about the Parlee brand.

Riding with these guys, I can say that's 100% the case. With a tire swap, our buddy will be on the same bike the next day for a 40+ mile gravel ride, and crushing it.
And from Parlee's end, the Chebacco is basically the "endurance" version of the Altum, just with MASSIVE tire clearance. In terms of one bike to rule them all, I'd say it's closest stock bike you can get.

Kyle h
07-10-2020, 09:29 PM
I rode my Chebacco any time I was riding. I had a wheelset with 32c Spec Roubaix Pro tires I would swap on for group rides or a set of 42c Gravel Kings I’d ride for mixed surface. I did Old Growth Classic on that bike with the 42s and the only time I was wanting more was during the sandy descents, it was otherwise a great match for mixed surfaces. Obviously it’s not made to be purely road but the compromises it made to be capable off-road were worth the sacrifices on road.