PDA

View Full Version : Garage organization.

cmbicycles
07-09-2020, 09:38 PM
I discovered a recent shortage when I went to try to organize yard tools. I thought it would be easiest to pick up a slatwall system to organize shovels, rakes and gardening tools to help clear up space in my garage/workshop which will get renovated (and insulated) next so I have a place to build stuff and repair bikes and instruments and whatever else I drag thru the door. I went to Depot, they had one hanger for a rubbermaid system and one rail... nothing else except few bike hooks and cheap ladder hooks that only hold 15lbs, strike 1. Next I went to lowes, no hangers for rubbermaid/gladiator/craftsman although they did have the slats to mount on the wall. Strike 2.

I guess everyone around here has been buying stuff for organizing their garages so I guess I'll get creative and build one with some of the scrap wood leftover from my recent shed build. I built a barn/shed for a project when things shut down, belated thanks you to those here who helped with advice.

Anyone have some good ideas for organizing outdoor/garden tools beyond pounding nails into a 2x4? Somewhat modular is what I have in mind right now. It will go on the back wall perpendicular to the framed inside wall in the picture... sheep live on the closer side (now closed in). Pictures would helpful, for me, for inspiration if someone did something they like.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200710/d083c6cca6382595e7111b14b5820bd3.jpg

Just to keep things bike related, here is the door latch release inside the chicken run. I didnt have a spare Campy lever or carbon handlebar for it unfortunately... but I'll gladly take donations for that purpose. ;)

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200710/33d2a8b5ee8949f96da1d213dae670b8.jpg

cmbicycles
07-12-2020, 11:20 AM
No one here has organized their garage/shed? Surely someone uses something other than a piling system, like my garage. [emoji14]

Joe
07-12-2020, 12:51 PM
Depending on the weight of your tools, this may or may not be suitable for you, but I used pegboard in our shed. Inexpensive and easy to reconfigure as necessary.

Very nice inside latch release, by the way.

jds108
07-12-2020, 02:56 PM
I bought a bunch of these: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-Tough-5-piece-Quick-Release-Snap-Rail-Garage-Organizer-System/584428654 as they were the cheapest solution of the sort. I don't have anything unusually heavy, so they've been working fine for me.

Morgul Bismark
07-12-2020, 03:00 PM
I did Gladiator Slatwall and hooks back in May. I had to go to two different Lowe's and use Amazon in order to get everything though since no one place had that much stock. Overall I like the system quite a bit and it definitely cleaned up the look. I just used the 4' lengths, although supposedly they also have 8' lengths available. We already had drywall up in the garage, so in my case I just put it right over top.

While I was working on the garage, I also put in Swisstrax flooring and picked up a cabinet from NewAge (not shown in the photo).

zmudshark
07-12-2020, 03:18 PM
I am ashamed. I thought I had a nice garage.

hokoman
07-12-2020, 04:06 PM
Morgul, wowza. That is nicer than my guest room. Hah hah. I should probably do something about that.

terry
07-12-2020, 04:40 PM
Shovels, rakes, hoes only deserve a nail in my garage.

old fat man
07-12-2020, 05:02 PM
I did Gladiator Slatwall and hooks back in May. I had to go to two different Lowe's and use Amazon in order to get everything though since no one place had that much stock. Overall I like the system quite a bit and it definitely cleaned up the look. I just used the 4' lengths, although supposedly they also have 8' lengths available. We already had drywall up in the garage, so in my case I just put it right over top.

While I was working on the garage, I also put in Swisstrax flooring and picked up a cabinet from NewAge (not shown in the photo).

Nice garage and indoor training area. But, one broom and a bucket? That's not yard tools.

reuben
07-12-2020, 05:39 PM
At my old house I built a shed. It was 1,500 square feet. Basically, a house. I'm gonna build another one at my next residence.

No bikes in the shed, which a friend dubbed "the aircraft hangar". It was for power tools, gardening tools, seedlings, beer, workbenches, fishing rods, washtubs, stereo system, table saw, tractor stuff, an awning to put the tractor under, etc.

This is the main section after framing, 24x48 feet. There's another 16x24 section to the left, and the awning covers the L shaped area between the two. The walls are 10 feet tall. The trusses for the two sections are up, but haven't been tied together yet.

http://mayophoto.net/home/2007%20shed%20addition/_DSC0008_1_1.jpg

Morgul Bismark
07-12-2020, 05:44 PM
Nice garage and indoor training area. But, one broom and a bucket? That's not yard tools.

:D

Life in the Bay Area where yard tools and yards are luxury items :help:

Coffee Rider
07-12-2020, 06:40 PM
At my old house I built a shed. It was 1,500 square feet. Basically, a house. I'm gonna build another one at my next residence.

No bikes in the shed, which a friend dubbed "the aircraft hangar". It was for power tools, gardening tools, seedlings, beer, workbenches, fishing rods, washtubs, stereo system, table saw, tractor stuff, an awning to put the tractor under, etc.

This is the main section after framing, 24x48 feet. There's another 16x24 section to the left, and the awning covers the L shaped area between the two. The walls are 10 feet tall. The trusses for the two sections are up, but haven't been tied together yet.

Living where I do, it’s hard to fathom having that much space. It sounds awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cmbicycles
07-13-2020, 01:59 PM

http://mayophoto.net/home/2007%20shed%20addition/_DSC0008_1_1.jpgYour shed is bigger than my house... I should've made my shed bigger. ;)

zmudshark
07-13-2020, 03:06 PM

We call that a pole barn where I'm from.

reuben
07-13-2020, 03:48 PM
I have to say that I loved it. Yeah, it cost me $$ in materials, but the vast majority of labor was my own or my friends. Only the plumber, electrician, and mason were paid on the up and up (some friends got cash).

I had many good hours in and around that "shed" - starting seedlings, listening to music, building various small things, etc.

It did a lot for my mental health, which is why I'm going to build or contract a similar one at my next house, if it doesn't already have something like that.

I used to cook sometimes under the awning, next to the tractor. Here's a chicken I cooked one night, strung up on rebar, cooking over random wood from the property.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/picture.php?albumid=143&pictureid=659

unterhausen
07-13-2020, 05:48 PM
I am ashamed. I thought I had a nice garage.I was going to give the op some input, but every room I have bike stuff in is a shambles.

Fixed
07-13-2020, 06:03 PM
:D

Life in the Bay Area where yard tools and yards are luxury items :help:

1+
Cheers to all

ernmony
07-13-2020, 06:07 PM
+2

It's SF vs. Everybody...

cmg
07-14-2020, 09:23 AM
I used to cook sometimes under the awning, next to the tractor. Here's a chicken I cooked one night, strung up on rebar, cooking over random wood from the property.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/picture.php?albumid=143&pictureid=659

Image has a real "The Walking Dead" feel to it. are you going to build an outdoor cooking area for other critters?

NHAero
07-14-2020, 12:09 PM
Perusing the list of items the shed was built for I came to realize that it coulda been a third the size without the beer :banana:

When we bought our place 7 years ago, it came with two outbuildings that started their lives as truck bodies. Both got gambrel roofs, the smaller (8'x16') was where we lived while the house got reno'd, it just has a sleeping loft, and the 8'x24' one is my shed on the ground level, and upper level is high enough to stand up in, and mostly has my wife's massive collection of books, until I get shelving built in the basement.

Only the two commuting bikes live in the shed, the others are in the basement. Less convenient but more secure.

C40_guy
07-14-2020, 01:04 PM

@reuben You're welcome to visit us anytime on Cape Cod. We've got great singletrack nearby, and Cape Cod, for those who don't know, is flat and the wind is always at your back.

Bring yer toolbelt. :)

C40_guy
07-14-2020, 01:07 PM
Perusing the list of items the shed was built for I came to realize that it coulda been a third the size without the beer :banana:

Was it the drinking of the beer or the storing of the beer that drove the size?

:beer:

reuben
07-14-2020, 01:46 PM
Image has a real "The Walking Dead" feel to it. are you going to build an outdoor cooking area for other critters?
The next time there will (eventually) be a full outdoor oven for meat/bread/pizza, plus another sand pit of some sort for asado.

I can't wait.

reuben
07-14-2020, 01:47 PM
Was it the drinking of the beer or the storing of the beer that drove the size?

:beer:

I have to admit that I was pretty lax on taking out the empties.

reuben
07-14-2020, 01:49 PM
Your shed is bigger than my house... I should've made my shed bigger. ;)
It's actually bigger than my current house as well, but not by much. In about 3 years I'm gonna fix that.

reuben
07-14-2020, 01:51 PM
@reuben You're welcome to visit us anytime on Cape Cod. We've got great singletrack nearby, and Cape Cod, for those who don't know, is flat and the wind is always at your back.

Bring yer toolbelt. :)

I'm a roadie, and now I know where all of our midatlantic tailwinds migrated to.