PDA

View Full Version : What do you all think of this...

Hysbrian
01-28-2007, 09:07 PM
I guess the program is called ACE...http://agencyforcyclingethics.org/

ACE, the Agency for Cycling Ethics, is handling our team anti-doping (or more correctly, Bio-Marker) program. Collectively our team will provide over 1200 samples this season, more than the entire USADA program for ALL SPORTS. Divided by riders the breakdown is roughly 2x a week. We’re currently giving blood and urine samples 3x a week, soon going to 2 and then 1x per week with others thrown in for good measure. Unlike the punitive WADA controls our program is establishing baseline values for each individuals’ bio-markers (blood values, testosterone, gh, hormones, etc) and if at any point during the season a marker is off the rider will be quickly tested 3 times in a matter of a day or two and benched. Whether or not the cause is known, rider sits.

Bronchitis? (prolonged problems can elevate red blood cell values) Benched. Crash hard and have a spike in Cortisol levels? Benched. Take EPO or pop in some T? BENCHED.

The idea here is that generally, regardless of cause, a rider shouldn’t be racing and this break provides the agency time to figure out why markers are out of normal. Might somebody miss a focus race? For sure. Is it worth it to prevent a possible false positive, killing a team and dragging the sport of cycling through the mud yet again? Without a doubt.

What is the reasoning behind this venture? Obviously cycling has taken an inordinate share of flack in the world media for doping problems (in actuality cycling has more samples tested than ANY other sport in the world, by a long shot, and broken down by percentage we’re behind such activities as curling and badmitton). We’re bashed on a level far from fair and with every news story sponsors leave and salaries drop. To ensure that cycling continues and hopefully grows on a global level something has to be done. In one sense we’re hoping to lead by example and by probiding complete transparency of information for all of our athletes set a standard that eventually, over time, other teams will have to join us in meeting. Think of what we’re doing as an (albeit expensive) insurance policy to our sponsors that we WILL NOT TEST + and if for some reason there were a false pop we would have extensive data to back up the rider and team against any charges. What team wouldn’t want to do that? Obviously it requires substantial resources but my personal hope would be that some day the UCI simply requires a program similar to this as part of team registration. Will it happen? We’ll see.

obtuse
01-28-2007, 09:17 PM
as an excercise and a statement this action is great for establishing a precedent and a debate. but it seems to me a gigantic undertaking and ordeal for a club team of cat1s and 2s to undertake.

most of you guys have jobs and lives beyond competitive cycling and a doping regiment at this level of competition would be more farcical than appropriate or threatening. i am by no means trying to diminish or discredit what you guys are doing; i just don't see any reason for it unless it is an adopted practice by uci registered professional teams.

in terms of rider safety; the lifestyle and training and competition regiment of a domestic elite club team does not warrant this type of medical supervision and were i involved' i'd feel threatened, quesy and sort of like i was signing up for a medical experiment for the "good of science" rather than for my own good.

just opening the debate. i really am not sure what i feel about this.

obtuse

atmo
01-28-2007, 09:22 PM
brian -
are you actually doing this, or was the first person text pasted atmo?

obtuse
01-28-2007, 09:23 PM
brian -
are you actually doing this, or was the first person text pasted atmo?

i prolly shouldn't have assumed that huh?

obtuse

atmo
01-28-2007, 09:42 PM
i prolly shouldn't have assumed that huh?

obtuse
dunno.
that's alotta text for a thebrian to post atmo.

M_A_Martin
01-29-2007, 12:11 AM
Hey,

Someone found a niche and has created a business to fill it.

You know...I got a flyer taped to my door today. "Can to curb" ...$3 a week and they take your garbage to the curb on garbage day and then they take your cans back once the trucks pick the garbage up...perhaps that's a bad analogy...

An club by itself would probably have to pay big bucks to get that sort of testing done on its riders. However, if you have an independent organization that has the setup and resources available to do it. I'm sure it's a cheaper proposition per team.

But, a team having that testing in place may lure sponsors who have become leary of having their name involved the sport of cycling due to the drug issue or the abuse of riders by teams.

...they have Frankie A on board as director of clients...
Interesting.

Sorry...I just realized I was looking at this from a marketing perspective rather than from a rider perspective....

djg
01-29-2007, 06:41 AM
That seems like an interesting idea and commitment in several regards--the commitment itself, the notion of establishing rider-specific baselines for the sake of both accuracy and fairness (within the team and with respect to outside authorities), etc. It also seems like a whole lot of testing, which raises its own issues. Over-testing has its own risks, and other costs. I guess I'd be inclined to give some serious thought to the question whether this level or frequency of testing is really needed for your purposes and the purposes of your team.

Hysbrian
01-29-2007, 07:40 AM
Yeah that's not being done by me, or my team. I should have mentioned that I stole that from the TIAA-CREF presented by TACOS or whatever they are this season.

fstrthnu
01-29-2007, 07:43 AM

atmo
01-29-2007, 07:43 AM
this thread sticks in my craw
ford atmo.

Fixed
01-29-2007, 07:49 AM
sounds like some cat is going to make money on all this . imho
will you bros have enough blood left to ride?
cheers

stevep
01-29-2007, 07:50 AM
the day i have to do something like this is the last day i will be involved in running a team.

not worth it.

saab2000
01-29-2007, 08:08 AM
Obviously cycling has taken an inordinate share of flack in the world media for doping problems (in actuality cycling has more samples tested than ANY other sport in the world, by a long shot, and broken down by percentage we’re behind such activities as curling and badmitton). We’re bashed on a level far from fair and with every news story sponsors leave and salaries drop.

What a farce. Curling and badminton are not sports where EPO is going to help a lot.

Bashed on a level far from fair? I don't think so. Cycling is a sport where there is reason to believe that nearly everyone is, or at least has been, very dirty. The UCI set a Hematrocrit level which is artificially high and as long as you are below that benchmark, you're golden.

Cycling is a sport which has earned it's dirty reputation and a program like this, while admirable, is not going to do anything until it is adopted by the very top riders in the world.