PDA

View Full Version : I think I broke Amazon

C40_guy
07-09-2020, 03:22 PM
Ordering a couple of web slings to hoist a kayak in my garage...one's on the way...I had snagged the last one in stock last week.

Now they've got them again (at $6 higher), but I can't complete the order. Amazon is giving me a weird message that it can't ship to my selected address.

Funny thing is...I can select an address in Florida or NY or CT and it would ship. But no addresses that I checked in Massachusetts.

I wonder if this is a local distribution center issue and they just don't want to fess up... I'm trying to address the issue with their customer service on the phone...

Unfortunately, I have not been able to find this particular sling anywhere else for similar $...

(address obscured in the screen grab below)

Bruce K
07-09-2020, 03:59 PM
That’s weird

Can you see if a local friend could buy it for you ?

I am having no issues with Amazon.

BK

slowpoke
07-09-2020, 04:12 PM
I just entered a random Boston, MA shipping address and it didn't work for me either.

Perhaps this is restricted by some obscure Massachusetts law. E.g. kangaroo leather shoes (https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article51543430.html) cannot be sold in California. Contacting Liftall directly may yield some answers.

C40_guy
07-09-2020, 04:18 PM
I just entered a random Boston, MA shipping address and it didn't work for me either.

Perhaps this is restricted by some obscure Massachusetts law. E.g. kangaroo leather shoes (https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article51543430.html) cannot be sold in California. Contacting Liftall directly may yield some answers.

I ordered the exact item from Amazon a week ago and it is on the way.

Perhaps there's some supply gaming going on...after I ordered, Amazon was out of stock and third parties were offering the same item for twice what I paid.

Then Amazon has them back in stock, for $6 more, and will ship to states other than Mass.

I spent 30 minutes on the phone with Amazon, which proved fruitless.

So I ordered via Walmart. I'll have it next Wednesday. :)

I know just enough about logistics to know that I know nothing about logistics.

And I know just enough about demand management to know that something fishy is going on. :) Someone set a "IF STATE = "MA", set DO_NOT_SHIP flag" rule. Or maybe "IF EYES = "BLUE"...

IDK.

Whatever. Back to onboarding... going through some really interesting stuff on the respectful workplace.

RWL2222
07-09-2020, 04:23 PM
This is the third time this week I have heard of people ordering hoists to store stuff in the garage. The other two were people I know locally, and wanted bike hoists. Maybe this is one of those buying waves, like hair clippers selling out in April when people needed a first lockdown haircut. People bought bikes or kayaks and have run out of storage.

reuben
07-09-2020, 04:30 PM
If you send me your kayak I'll make sure that you get the straps.

unterhausen
07-09-2020, 04:33 PM
kayaks and other boats like that have definitely been in high demand

Ozz
07-09-2020, 04:37 PM
Have you checked locally at Home Depot or Lowe's? i snagged a couple tie-down straps like that to secure my Thule roof box to garage ceiling....

Spaghetti Legs
07-09-2020, 04:44 PM
I definitely believe the boat thing. I’ve been seeing boats and kayaks on car roofs all over the place.

In a slightly related note, I received some bike sundries today that I ordered from Wiggle 2 days ago and still waiting on a light fixture from Amazon I ordered the day before that.

Does Wiggle have a US distribution center?

Gsinill
07-09-2020, 05:02 PM
Why don't you reach out to their customer service and ask?

C40_guy
07-09-2020, 05:10 PM
kayaks and other boats like that have definitely been in high demand

Yep. People have been posting on paddling.com that kayaks are in short supply, just like bikes!

C40_guy
07-09-2020, 05:13 PM
Have you checked locally at Home Depot or Lowe's? i snagged a couple tie-down straps like that to secure my Thule roof box to garage ceiling....

I checked...I'm looking for specific lengths. I assembled hoists for three sea kayaks and am using these straps as secondary retainers when the kayaks are up in the air...that takes the load off the pulley system. Probably overkill, since each of the pulleys are probably rated to 200 lbs or more, and each one is getting 1/5th of the kayak weight (about 10 lbs each).

Just don't want a kayak falling onto one of my cars.

Given what I have into this hoist system, I probably should have just built a 'yak garage. :)

For those of you who are considering getting into boating, kayaks are definitely an N+1 world. Did I mention the carbon fiber paddles? Or perhaps hand shaped wood greenland paddles? Don't get me started... :)

C40_guy
07-09-2020, 05:15 PM
Why don't you reach out to their customer service and ask?

Did. This is clearly a logistics or supply chain decision, not something a customer service rep can over rule. :(

I have a feeling that they're limiting some deliveries on some products to local distribution centers.

The UPS facility near us has become a black hole for packages...you can track the package into the facility...and a week later it *might* pop back out...

EDIT: Or maybe a simple ghost in the machine. Just checked and it looks like I can place an order for the strap now. Weird. Oh well, my Walmart order is already being processed...

Ozz
07-09-2020, 05:38 PM
I checked...I'm looking for specific lengths. I assembled hoists for three sea kayaks and am using these straps as secondary retainers when the kayaks are up in the air...that takes the load off the pulley system. Probably overkill, since each of the pulleys are probably rated to 200 lbs or more, and each one is getting 1/5th of the kayak weight (about 10 lbs each).

Just don't want a kayak falling onto one of my cars.

Given what I have into this hoist system, I probably should have just built a 'yak garage. :)

For those of you who are considering getting into boating, kayaks are definitely an N+1 world. Did I mention the carbon fiber paddles? Or perhaps hand shaped wood greenland paddles? Don't get me started... :)
Hah! I've got the pulley and suspenders (straps) holding my Thule box as well!

BTW - Kayak content: Went to HS with the family that started/runs the Werner paddles. Nice stuff..nice folks

OtayBW
07-09-2020, 05:53 PM
You can get whatever you need at a local hardware store. You'll need:

2 single pulleys and a double pulley,
some rope,
a couple of carabiners,
2 straps with a cinch pull,
a couple of j-screw hooks for the ceiling (or lag bolts into joists), and maybe
a tie-off for the wall.

Presto....or as they say in Switzerland (Romandie) or France: Et Voila!

C40_guy
07-09-2020, 06:29 PM
Hah! I've got the pulley and suspenders (straps) holding my Thule box as well!

BTW - Kayak content: Went to HS with the family that started/runs the Werner paddles. Nice stuff..nice folks

My Werner all carbon paddle was one of the best upgrades I've ever done. There is no comparison between a standard paddle and a top of the line carbon fiber paddle.

Of course, now I want to try a hand shaped cedar greenland paddle. I hear that they are the bee's knees... :)

NHAero
07-09-2020, 06:51 PM
I think UPS has collapsed in coastal MA. Google UPS issues on the Cape. I just cancelled my open Amazon orders after receiving "updated" shipping info that says they could arrive by Aug 18th (I have Prime). And outbound, I shipped my rear shock to JRA in Medford, MA on 6/30 and it decided to go to NYC first - just arrived at JRA today, supposed to be 2 days. Others I know have received the "can't ship to your address" recently from Amazon.

Ordering a couple of web slings to hoist a kayak in my garage...one's on the way...I had snagged the last one in stock last week.

Now they've got them again (at $6 higher), but I can't complete the order. Amazon is giving me a weird message that it can't ship to my selected address.

Funny thing is...I can select an address in Florida or NY or CT and it would ship. But no addresses that I checked in Massachusetts.

I wonder if this is a local distribution center issue and they just don't want to fess up... I'm trying to address the issue with their customer service on the phone...

Unfortunately, I have not been able to find this particular sling anywhere else for similar $...

(address obscured in the screen grab below)

reuben
07-09-2020, 07:19 PM
I think I broke Amazon
These are the End Times for sure.

C40_guy
07-10-2020, 08:01 AM
I think UPS has collapsed in coastal MA. Google UPS issues on the Cape.

I know. The Yarmouthport facility has gotten regional coverage on the news.

And USPS isn't far behind.

Our dear mail deliverer lost it one day and dumped four packages on the edge of our lawn. I think she did it only because we were nearby and she was just venting. I would have given her a hug, but one, that's weird, and two, corona.

OtayBW
07-10-2020, 08:22 AM
My Werner all carbon paddle was one of the best upgrades I've ever done. There is no comparison between a standard paddle and a top of the line carbon fiber paddle.

Of course, now I want to try a hand shaped cedar greenland paddle. I hear that they are the bee's knees... :)
Easy to make using a draw knife, a block plane, and some tung oil. Plans can be found online for dimensions and fit.

C40_guy
07-10-2020, 10:56 AM
Easy to make using a draw knife, a block plane, and some tung oil. Plans can be found online for dimensions and fit.

Tempted...

But I have other woodworking projects stacked up. There's two sheets of plywood in my shop, already ripped, waiting to become a book case for my home office.

Then I can get some books out of four year old moving boxes!