PDA

View Full Version : Froome to leave Ineos at end of season

Elefantino
07-09-2020, 06:18 AM
Not surprising, just the end of an era.

I think Brailsford knows Froome's career is toast but just in case is keeping him on board as a TdF superdomestique instead of letting him go to Israel Start-Up Nation now.

Story here (https://cyclingtips.com/2020/07/chris-froome-to-leave-ineos/).

FlashUNC
07-09-2020, 06:37 AM
A lot changed thanks to a random gust of wind.

wallymann
07-09-2020, 06:44 AM
while i've never been a fan of his, i do have respect for the grinta he's been showing by dealing with various challenges lately. growing respect aside, at this rate i cant see froomie adding another TdF to his palmares.

fignon's barber
07-09-2020, 07:30 AM
Froome to Israel Start Up Nation. Makes sense. Can't have 3 leaders on the payroll.

cal_len1
07-09-2020, 08:29 AM
I think this was a pretty bold statement by Brailsford. Basically, we couldn't/wouldn't give Froome everything he wanted (sole leadership at GT), so he can go ride for someone else. I think it made the decision easier, now that he's in the latter part of his career.

prototoast
07-09-2020, 08:45 AM
Froome is in the twilight of his career (HT to Dan Duquette) and coming off an injury that it is to be determined whether he is even capable of recovering to the point of being competitive, let alone winning. Bernal is the most recent winner and only 22 years old--he almost certainly has more grand tour victories in his future than froome. It would be foolish for Ineos to promise sole leadership to Froome. But hopefully he'll move to ISN next year and give them a hell of a run for their money.

reuben
07-09-2020, 10:14 AM
Froome to Israel Start Up Nation. Makes sense. Can't have 3 leaders on the payroll.
Mapei often did, at least in the classics.

72gmc
07-09-2020, 10:32 AM
He should move to the booth if he stays in cycling, or on to the next thing.

Pro cycling is dangerous, which he may like, but he’s done it. He’s gained more than anyone could have expected, and is fortunate to be living proof that it could all go away in a moment. With a family and all sorts of adventures to have with the years that should be left, be thankful. Go find the next exciting thing.

“I’m not dead yet grrrrrrr” is tired alpha male behavior that rarely delivers results worth hanging around for.

redir
07-09-2020, 11:05 AM
End of season? What season? :help:

72gmc
07-09-2020, 11:12 AM

And they had those great kits, and those Colnagos. If you're going to have head-scratching tactics, look good doing it.

reuben
07-09-2020, 11:30 AM
And they had those great kits, and those Colnagos. If you're going to have head-scratching tactics, look good doing it.
Those were some ugly clothes. But somehow they always looked good on the podium...

Mark McM
07-09-2020, 11:49 AM

Philippa York recently had a piece in Cycling News about how three team leaders in singe day races makes much more sense than three team leaders in long stage races:

https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/philippa-york-three-leaders-in-a-grand-tour-is-a-nightmare-waiting-to-happen/

Elefantino
07-09-2020, 12:38 PM
He should move to the booth if he stays in cycling
Doubt it. He's the most boring monotone in the peloton.

72gmc
07-09-2020, 12:54 PM
Doubt it. He's the most boring monotone in the peloton.

yeah, I was too specific about the role. Point is, both he and Sebastian Vettel (see other thread) need to recognize that it's time for a new business card.

robertbb
07-09-2020, 06:20 PM
Well, I've never been a fan of watching him chew stem, fixated on his power meter and controlling a race in monotone...

BUT, as a huge cycling fan and as someone who's been to Israel 6 times in the last decade I am a big fan of ICA so I hope he can help the team get to the next level in some way.

I actually met Froome at the Giro a few years ago in Jerusalem. And unlike most Pro's who you meet for long enough to get a signature/selfie, he really gave me a lot of time and we talked properly. Boring cyclist, but a lovely and very approachable guy.

Mr. Pink
07-09-2020, 08:44 PM

I hear you. Same for similar announcements in other sports.

Wakatel_Luum
07-09-2020, 09:52 PM

Yep...don't even know if I'll watch any of the rehashed races this year...maybe the TDF.

Fivethumbs
07-09-2020, 11:59 PM
Who else ya gonna get to run up Ventoux in cleats?

jimoots
07-10-2020, 06:18 AM
Well, I've never been a fan of watching him chew stem, fixated on his power meter and controlling a race in monotone...

Boring cyclist, but a lovely and very approachable guy.

When people say Froome is boring I wonder if they actually watch the racing or just look at results after the fact?

He’s attacked on a descent with a 55t, split the field rolling turns with Sagan in cross winds and made an 80km solo effort to leapfrog to the podium... that’s just scratching the surface.

oldpotatoe
07-10-2020, 06:24 AM

If shooting for all of the GTs, sure you can. It's when all 3 go to the TdF, that's where it gets 'interesting'..when you see if the 'leader' is having troubles and whether or not the good lieutenant(s) will support him if he is...:eek:

I think this bizarre year means he tries in 2021, then quits.

prototoast
07-10-2020, 07:12 AM
I think this bizarre year means he tries in 2021, then quits.

I think this is the most likely scenario. Following his injury, I think he wanted to make one good faith effort at a comeback. This year doesn't really count, even if they eventually hold a tdf, so he'll give it a go next year. At that point, I'd be skeptical he's in podium form, and I doubt think he'll want to stick around for a few years as a domestique.

Elefantino
07-10-2020, 07:50 AM
Stage 19 of the '18 Giro is one of the greatest performances in cycling history.

Boring, it was not!

jimoots
07-10-2020, 04:32 PM
Stage 19 of the '18 Giro is one of the greatest performances in cycling history.

Boring, it was not!

But it said he won when I looked at Cycling News, so you know, boooorrrring /sarcasm

Kyle h
07-10-2020, 05:41 PM
When people say Froome is boring I wonder if they actually watch the racing or just look at results after the fact?

He’s attacked on a descent with a 55t, split the field rolling turns with Sagan in cross winds and made an 80km solo effort to leapfrog to the podium... that’s just scratching the surface.

I think people associate Ineos/Sky as boring vs Froome in particular. They are very methodical and planned in their race day tactics Couple with their depth of talent, which doesn’t make for exciting watching on the purest sense of singular stage racing vs GT placing.

I’ll admit to being bored watching races for the GT outcome because it’s just so Ineos dominated but I enjoy watching the pts battles like KOM, Sprint, Youngest rider.

azrider
07-10-2020, 05:55 PM
Who was more boring........Chris Froome or Levi Leipheimer?

soulspinner
07-10-2020, 05:57 PM
Who was more boring........Chris Froome or Levi Leipheimer?

:p