PDA

View Full Version : If you were to hop on a plane for a cycling adventure...

p nut
07-08-2020, 10:03 PM
Where would you go? (Within the US).

I have an idea brewing in my head to meet up with my brother and fly out somewhere. He’s got a folder and I have kind of a travel bike.

I’d love to fly out, ride to the hotel (we’ll just have backpacks and soft cases for the bikes). Then do some city or countryside touring on the bikes (Hotel would be home base). Maybe up to a week or so.

Any ideas?

happycampyer
07-08-2020, 10:12 PM
If I were to fly anywhere in the US to ride, it would probably be to Steamboat Springs. Go visit Moots and Brad Bingham/Kent Eriksen (if he's still hanging around the shop),* and get amazing riding in.

But really what I want to do is drive up to western Massachusetts and ride the roads of D2R2, which I and many others will sorely miss this year.

* As an owner of multiple Moots and a couple of Eriksen-built Hampstens...

Ken Robb
07-08-2020, 10:28 PM
With restaurant dining being off/on I might choose to rent a cabin with a kitchen. I like the area around Montery,CA. Pacific Grove is lovely and has a homey feel. Summer weather is moderate and there are lots of neat rides.

exapkib
07-08-2020, 11:11 PM
For me, the ultimate destination depends a lot on where you're coming from--I'd want to spend time somewhere that offered something I can't find at home.

On my own list at present:

1. Bikepacking in Yellowstone before the road opens to cars.
2. Blue Ridge Parkway
3. Multi-day trip in the upstate New York/Vermont/New Hampshire area (Autumn?)
4. Something along the coast in the Pacific NW

Trips I've already done that I would absolutely recommend to somebody else:

1. Bikepacking road and gravel through Southern Utah. Nothing like it.
2. Riding in the CO Rockies. Astounding.
3. Backroads tour through Michigan. (You could likely put together something similar through many of the states in the Midwest. Hit it in the fall for sights you won't soon forget.)

dbnm
07-08-2020, 11:13 PM
Gravel rides in Patagonia AZ.

In the fall.

dgauthier
07-08-2020, 11:52 PM
Maui.

Spaghetti Legs
07-09-2020, 06:19 AM
Last year I rode a week long tour with some buddies from Seattle to Portland. We went through Snoqualmie Pass, along Yakima River , through Gifford Pinchot National Forest and back to the Columbia River. Absolutely fantastic riding although a fair amount of gravel which might not work for a folder bike. We overnighted once in Randle, WA which was kind of the geographic center of the tour for reference.

Whatever town is at Bridge of the Gods on the Columbia River would also probably be a good place to do some out and back riding. These probably aren’t best for fly in and start riding but something to think about.

More local to me, riding around Charlottesville is very good with close proximity to the Parkway/Skyline Drive.

oldpotatoe
07-09-2020, 06:21 AM

I have an idea brewing in my head to meet up with my brother and fly out somewhere. He’s got a folder and I have kind of a travel bike.

I’d love to fly out, ride to the hotel (we’ll just have backpacks and soft cases for the bikes). Then do some city or countryside touring on the bikes (Hotel would be home base). Maybe up to a week or so.

Any ideas?

Many places to choose from but I'd rent a van and drive, not fly...:eek:
Find some place with a kitchen....

AngryScientist
07-09-2020, 06:30 AM
Truckee CA

PaMtbRider
07-09-2020, 06:32 AM
Bend, Oregon

paredown
07-09-2020, 06:47 AM
Truckee CA

And go visit the circuit at Nevada City and pay homage!

Peak of my short racing career--and I still remember the training rides we took in those hills...

The ride down Highway 1--from the outside of the Olympic peninsula all the way to SF has some spectacular sections and views...

BRad704
07-09-2020, 06:49 AM
Truckee CA

I was going to say Lake Tahoe, but that ride would include Truckee anyway.

My SIL is in South Lake, so this one's actually on my personal short list to happen "soon".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

godfrey1112000
07-09-2020, 06:53 AM
Los Olivos Solvang
Canyon roads

https://rootsrated.com/santa-barbara-ca/cycling/los-olivos-and-solvang-cycling

Climb Mt Fig

https://trainright.com/granfondo/

The Republc of Boulder radius of 75 miles

Bentley
07-09-2020, 07:09 AM
Los Olivos Solvang
Canyon roads

https://rootsrated.com/santa-barbara-ca/cycling/los-olivos-and-solvang-cycling

Climb Mt Fig

https://trainright.com/granfondo/

I agree that Santa Barbara County would be a great place to go. Riding from the Airport to the Hotel would be a trick and a long ride... but Lompoc/Solvang/Los Olives... beautiful

Tickdoc
07-09-2020, 07:44 AM
so many great places to go and ride.

On my list are:

Crater lake

Marin Foothills

North Carolina/Smokey Mountains

Banff Basin

Nearly anywhere in Colorado.

Places I would love to go back to ride again:

Maine

San Diego

Idaho

Anywhere in Colorado

reuben
07-09-2020, 07:46 AM
Well, there's an informal ride from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego every year. It takes about a year to complete...

jh_on_the_cape
07-09-2020, 07:50 AM
Figure out where you can both fly nonstop.
I would also get a ride from airport to you home base. Opens up so many possibilities.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

texbike
07-09-2020, 08:54 AM
If I were to pick a spot right now in the US that I could fly to/ride from, it would be one of the following based on the amount of ride options available right out the door from that location:

-SFO
-Long Beach
-San Diego
-Santa Barbara
-Portland
-Madison
-Denver (OK, the airport IS a bit far removed from this one)

Now, with all of the crazy, Covid stuff going on, maybe the California options may not be the best bet.

Texbike

XXtwindad
07-09-2020, 09:18 AM
For me, the ultimate destination depends a lot on where you're coming from--I'd want to spend time somewhere that offered something I can't find at home.

On my own list at present:

1. Bikepacking in Yellowstone before the road opens to cars.
2. Blue Ridge Parkway
3. Multi-day trip in the upstate New York/Vermont/New Hampshire area (Autumn?)
4. Something along the coast in the Pacific NW

Trips I've already done that I would absolutely recommend to somebody else:

1. Bikepacking road and gravel through Southern Utah. Nothing like it.
2. Riding in the CO Rockies. Astounding.
3. Backroads tour through Michigan. (You could likely put together something similar through many of the states in the Midwest. Hit it in the fall for sights you won't soon forget.)

Number one on the list. Including Cherohala Skyway and Skyline up to Front Royale. In Autumn.

XXtwindad
07-09-2020, 09:20 AM
If I were to pick a spot right now in the US that I could fly to/ride from, it would be one of the following based on the amount of ride options available right out the door from that location:

-SFO
-Long Beach
-San Diego
-Santa Barbara
-Portland
-Madison
-Denver (OK, the airport IS a bit far removed from this one)

Now, with all of the crazy, Covid stuff going on, maybe the California options may not be the best bet.

Texbike

I’ve been fortunate enough to cycle a number of places throughout the country and world. Nothing will ever compare with the views from the top of Mt. Tam.
Everyone should make this a “Bucket Lister.”

eddief
07-09-2020, 09:32 AM
some rarely closed roads in Banff and Jasper are now open to cyclists and no cars.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/banff-national-park-road-closures-1.5638541

texbike
07-09-2020, 09:33 AM
Nothing will ever compare with the views from the top of Mt. Tam.

Agreed! Marin is one of my favorite places in the entire US. Cycling and outdoor heaven.

Texbike

choke
07-09-2020, 09:46 AM
The Black Hills

There are tons of Forest Service roads there and not a lot of people, as long as you aren't at the touristy spots.

Toddtwenty2
07-09-2020, 09:47 AM
I have done quite a few tours throughout the US. Some of my favorites are:

The Ozarks of northern Arkansas. It is absolutely beautiful, pastoral rolling terrain with tiny towns for some food and little traffic. (not this time of year, though - too hot!)

The Boundary Waters in northern Minnesota. Nice rail trails, plenty of lakes and small towns.

The Western Coast of Michigan.

Northern California - Petaluma/Point Reyes, as well as Napa/Sonoma (wine stops are fun).

prototoast
07-09-2020, 09:53 AM
Agreed! Marin is one of my favorite places in the entire US. Cycling and outdoor heaven.

Texbike

Wrong side of the Bay for me. I've never had a ride I enjoyed in Marin, and I've never had a ride I didn't enjoy in the Santa Cruz Mountains. Go 50 miles south for a good time.

gomango
07-09-2020, 10:44 AM
though - too hot!)

The Boundary Waters in northern Minnesota. Nice rail trails, plenty of lakes and small towns.

Great choice.

I ride there all the time. Our cabin is on the edge of the BWCA near Ely.

FWIW Just returned from two weeks in the Whitewater River area near Red Lodge, MT. Not sure why we came back.

Beautiful area and great people.

Fly fishing and riding there was top shelf.

weisan
07-09-2020, 11:17 AM

I would go visit these people and I have absolutely no doubt we would have loads of fun and adventure...

Clean39T
Joosttx
AngryScientist
Elefantino
Dave Thompson
Spiderman
PaMtbRider
Sparky33
BumbleBeeDave
Ken Robb
onekgguy
paredown
gasman
fuzzalow
Peter P.
Keith A
Bruce K
If outside US...
m_sasso
Velotel
Ginger

There are definitely more pals that should be on this list ...but I only got one body, two hands, and two legs....:p and I grudgingly put up with flying. :rolleyes:

Drmojo
07-09-2020, 11:33 AM
I’ve been fortunate enough to cycle a number of places throughout the country and world. Nothing will ever compare with the views from the top of Mt. Tam.

Tam is great no doubt
but..
Crater Lake is in another category entirely
as someone who has ridden and run on Tam
countless times

XXtwindad
07-09-2020, 11:35 AM
Tam is great no doubt
but..
Crater Lake is in another category entirely
as someone who has ridden and run on Tam
countless times

Yes, indeed. A "bucket lister" worthy of the hype. Stunning. Mt. Hood? Not by a long shot...

Ozz
07-09-2020, 11:43 AM
Last year I rode a week long tour with some buddies from Seattle to Portland. We went through Snoqualmie Pass, along Yakima River , through Gifford Pinchot National Forest and back to the Columbia River. Absolutely fantastic riding although a fair amount of gravel which might not work for a folder bike. We overnighted once in Randle, WA which was kind of the geographic center of the tour for reference.

Whatever town is at Bridge of the Gods on the Columbia River would also probably be a good place to do some out and back riding. These probably aren’t best for fly in and start riding but something to think about.

More local to me, riding around Charlottesville is very good with close proximity to the Parkway/Skyline Drive.
Wow...that is a roundabout way to get to Portland from Seattle...very cool.

The town you are thinking of is probably Cascade Locks near Bridge of the Gods. On the WA side, there is a pretty fancy resort, Skamania Lodge. It has a golf course, spas, etc and is a pretty nice place.

Hood River is just upriver from Cascade Locks and is pretty cool. Lots of breweries and world class wind surfing / kite-boarding. Very much a "sports" town. Supposed to be some good mountain biking around there too...

Likes2ridefar
07-09-2020, 11:47 AM
Gravel rides in Patagonia AZ.

In the fall.

This is interesting given I live not terribly far away. Any more info to find route ideas?

mjb266
07-09-2020, 11:48 AM
I hate to say it, cause I'm stir crazy as well, but I'd hunker down and recognize that not traveling this year is a small sacrifice that we need to be making to prevent teh spread of Covid. I get that there is a, "What's the harm in one person traveling" mindset...but there are a lot of folks with that mindset in our country right now and it's not going well.

When this is over, come out to Bellingham, WA.

Likes2ridefar
07-09-2020, 11:53 AM
I’ve been in the smokies in Eastern TN the last month staying at my parents. The riding is fantastic here. Lots of long climbs, amazing gravel routes, plenty of mtb’ing. I will miss it dearly leaving next Friday to return to AZ, but am thankful I’ve been able to WAH on west coast time giving me 3 or 4 hours every morning for riding.

Endless options and almost no traffic. Just rain, humidity, rural remoteness with no cell service to combat.

paredown
07-09-2020, 11:59 AM
some rarely closed roads in Banff and Jasper are now open to cyclists and no cars.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/banff-national-park-road-closures-1.5638541

AFAIK, Canadian border is still closed to non-essential traffic...