PDA

View Full Version : Rolf Elan wheels: Opinions, please....

catulle
01-28-2007, 07:10 PM
I'd appreciate you critique of the Rolf Elan wheels. How do the compare to DT, Eurus, etc... Thank you so much.

Fixed
01-28-2007, 07:37 PM
imho not as good
cheers

catulle
01-28-2007, 07:41 PM
imho not as good
cheers

Thank you, Fixed. Duly noted.

pdxmech13
01-28-2007, 08:18 PM
I would recommend something with a more robust bearing and rim design.
My biggest drag with rolf is they claim to be so lite but the rims are were the weight is. Isn't that were most agree that weight should be saved ? For a grand I could think of cooler things to spend money on.

NOt my cup of tea

I like coffee :D

obtuse
01-28-2007, 08:40 PM
I'd appreciate you critique of the Rolf Elan wheels. How do the compare to DT, Eurus, etc... Thank you so much.

if you put those pieces of garbage on that beautiful kirk you're waking up with a horse head in your bed. if you need to put pre-builts on it, it gets neutrons. end of story.

obtuse

catulle
01-28-2007, 08:49 PM
:no:

atmo
01-28-2007, 08:56 PM
bad tie.
stripes going wrong way.
attention fashion police atmo.

shinomaster
01-28-2007, 08:58 PM
That looks like a giant St. Bernard.

bcm119
01-28-2007, 09:02 PM
Why are folks on this forum so down on rolf prima? Is it their association with Trek 5+ years ago? Just curious.

catulle
01-28-2007, 09:04 PM
bad tie.
stripes going wrong way.
attention fashion police atmo.

That's CSI. Now, she'll wear Obtuse's stripes from the heart down, atmo...

obtuse
01-28-2007, 09:06 PM
Why are folks on this forum so down on rolf prima? Is it their association with Trek 5+ years ago? Just curious.

while those were some of the worst wheels ever, they have little if anything to do with why the current rolfs are so awful. for what its worth, most of us who hated the old trek rolfs with a passion are quite smitten with the newest offerings from bontrager.

obtuse

bcm119
01-28-2007, 09:19 PM
while those were some of the worst wheels ever, they have little if anything to do with why the current rolfs are so awful. for what its worth, most of us who hated the old trek rolfs with a passion are quite smitten with the newest offerings from bontrager.

obtuse
Well, tell us why the current rolfs are so awful. I'm curious cuz a crapload of people ride them around here, mostly the vigors.

Fixed
01-28-2007, 09:23 PM
bro some cats ride a.c. around here too
cheers

obtuse
01-28-2007, 09:27 PM
Well, tell us why the current rolfs are so awful. I'm curious cuz a crapload of people ride them around here, mostly the vigors.

flexy and weak with mediocre hubs and super stiff rims that corner poorly. maybe they're fine for events that go in straight line on good roads but they lack the durability and the ride feel needed to be either good road racing wheels or good training wheels.

obtuse

cs124
01-28-2007, 09:40 PM
flexy and weak with mediocre hubs and super stiff rims that corner poorly. maybe they're fine for events that go in straight line on good roads but they lack the durability and the ride feel needed to be either good road racing wheels or good training wheels.

obtuse

Why is it, then, with the funky spoke pattern and all, that the current Bontragers are so good?

...not stirring here, just asking...i happen to like lots of the gear kb puts his name to.

obtuse
01-28-2007, 09:52 PM
Why is it, then, with the funky spoke pattern and all, that the current Bontragers are so good?

...not stirring here, just asking...i happen to like lots of the gear kb puts his name to.

the same question perplexes me. the trek rolfs really shouldn't have been as bad as they were at least on paper. the bontragers use a lower spoke tension than the rolfs and the distance between the paired spokes is greater; the dish is better and the cheaper wheels are hand built using more spokes than the rolfs they replaced which were machine built. in reality, the rolf vector pro tubulars weren't all that bad.....but the super high spoke tension did cause them to sort of "explode" in the event of something that would normally just cause a spoke to break.

obtuse

stevep
01-29-2007, 06:58 AM
bro some cats ride a.c. around here too
cheers

fixed.
you are hereby nominated by me to be the king of the form.
clarity in few words.
correct response.
true dedication.
always right.

committee to elect the king of the forum

catulle
01-29-2007, 07:59 AM

wasfast
01-29-2007, 08:11 AM
Obtuse is claiming the hubs are "crap" but it depends on which series. Since 2004, the hubs are made by White Industries and have the same Enduro bearings the WI hubs do. I have 10,000 miles on my Elans and think they've been a good wheel. I'm 190+ lbs too so no lightweight rider. There are far worse wheels out there and the set weigh 1300 grams to boot.

catulle
01-29-2007, 08:31 AM

pdxmech13
01-29-2007, 10:13 AM
hubs are still no better than before

locals buy things from other locals in these parts too !

gasman
01-29-2007, 10:15 AM
I've had good luck with mine.The WI hubs seem pretty durable. Some 10K miles on my wheels without a problem training and racing-if you can call cat4/5 racing.

vaxn8r
01-29-2007, 03:13 PM
the same question perplexes me. the trek rolfs really shouldn't have been as bad as they were at least on paper. the bontragers use a lower spoke tension than the rolfs and the distance between the paired spokes is greater; the dish is better and the cheaper wheels are hand built using more spokes than the rolfs they replaced which were machine built. in reality, the rolf vector pro tubulars weren't all that bad.....but the super high spoke tension did cause them to sort of "explode" in the event of something that would normally just cause a spoke to break.

obtuse
I gotta call out obtuse. I think you're full o crap on this one...

The WI's are super light hubs though and no, you don't get the same feel from the heavier Shimnao/Campy/Mavic hubs whic are all sweet. OTOH, the WI hub is not bad at all and they do hold up.

If you're hard on wheels the Vigors are the way to go. The Vigors are faster too because they are more aero and I think give a little more momentum feel than the ultra light Elan gives. Get the Elans if you want a super light climbing wheel.

I also own a set of Elans and they do climb well. I wouldn't buy them again mostly because I'm no longer a lightweight climber and I never will be again. If I were to buy another set of Rolfs it'd be the Vigor.

ATMO, anyone who compares Rolfs to AC's doesn't know what they're talking about. ACs are machine built wheels from Asia which have had chronic bearing problems and breakage issues. Rolfs are handmade in Eugene, OR and they stand behind their product 100%. No questions. Geez!

stevep
01-29-2007, 03:59 PM
vax & obtuce...argument at 20 paces.

winner declared by fixed.... the only guy on here who is always right.

obtuce..." your wheels suuck..."

vax ( louder ) " NO, YOUR WHEELS SUCK WORSE..MY WHEELS ARE EXCELLENT...."

obtuce...(louder )..." NO, YOUR WHEELS REALLY SUPER SUUCK..."

vax... etc.

ok solomon whos least wrong?

vaxn8r
01-29-2007, 04:12 PM
They aint great...they are a really good tool for climbing or all around wheel for guys who don't weigh a bunch or who are easy on their equipment. I weigh a bunch (185) and have raced Elans in crits...though I can think of a lot better tools for that particular application. They definitely don't suck.

Don't be a hater.

BUTCH RIDES
01-29-2007, 05:45 PM
Hello, I like my wheels . I just bought a pair of the cute Rolfs ,they are simply wonderful and what I really like is the name Rolf. It makes me feel like a German strom trooper . When I ride to get a doughnut my ride is almost 5 miles round trip my wheels never stop going round and round .
Thank You
adios