PDA

View Full Version : Help with tire choice

bluecsi
07-08-2020, 09:22 AM
Hello,

Another question for you all. I have a CX bike that is great, great fun to ride. It has replaced my old, broken FS mountain bike for use on trails around here. The shortcoming of the CX bike in this scenario is tire volume. Even at about 40psi, I routinely bottom out on roots and rocks. Fortunately, tubeless is awesome in this application and I've had no issues with flats. I do have concerns for the long term health of my rims. The tires are getting worn, so I'm thinking about what to replace them with.

Current tires are WTB CrossBoss, 700x35. No complaints about their performance or durability whatsoever. Supposedly, the bike with take up to a 40 width tire, but I think that will be really tight. What I'm looking for is something with the performance and durability of a CrossBoss in about a 38. Any thoughts about what might fit this description?

Thanks for your help

Scott

oddsaabs
07-08-2020, 09:48 AM
If you like the WTB tires there's plenty of options in the other models that work great for what you're doing. Riddler, Venture, Raddler, all have options that are bigger that the Cross Boss and ride great. Can't go wrong with any of them.

https://www.wtb.com/collections/gravel-cx-700c

TunaAndBikes
07-08-2020, 10:12 AM
WTB Riddler 37c
Gravelking SK 38c

Duende
07-08-2020, 10:24 AM
Steilacomm 700x38 by Rene Hearse. Mounted were just under 38mm on 21mm internal rims.

Not a fan of WTB tires. Great company but the tires have QC issues in my experience. In the minority here no doubt.

jtbadge
07-08-2020, 10:25 AM
WTB Nano is a scaled down version of a classic XC tire, a great option to ride MTB trails on a cross bike.

AllesWirdGut
07-08-2020, 12:52 PM
WTB Riddler 37c
Gravelking SK 38c

Both great recommendations here!

Likes2ridefar
07-08-2020, 01:49 PM
I’m currently running Hutchinson override in 38mm. They are great tires and probably my favorite of the few I’ve tried in similar size. WTB byway, gravel kings, g-ones.

They roll fast on the road, have great traction on gravel, and are holding air way better than any of the previous tires with the same rims and sealant.

thirdgenbird
07-08-2020, 02:07 PM
WTB Riddler 37c
Gravelking SK 38c

Don’t forget the gravelking EXT. it maybe a good choice if you are riding on off-road trails. More aggressive than the SK but it won’t make your life miserable riding to the trial.

Burning Pines
07-08-2020, 09:22 PM
RH Steilacooms are the absolute best tires in this size/category I’ve tired and I’ve used a fair number. Fast rolling, good straight line and cornering grip. WTB resolutes are a close second for me if you can fit a 42. RH also makes a 42 version, can’t remember what it’s called.

Gotta say I hated Nanos. Zero cornering grip on anything loose. YMMV. Maybe fine in the back with a resolute up front

bluecsi
07-11-2020, 03:49 PM
thanks everyone for your help. I bought some WTB Raddlers at the shop the other day, 40's, thinking they'd provide the additional volume I was looking for. Unfortunately, no, they do not. I measured the casing width of the Raddlers with calipers, they show 35, exact same as the Cross Boss tires. Not too wild about that. Measuring the width at the knobs showed 40's. So. the tires are indeed wider, in a sense, but the casing width is identical. I guess it's all in the details.

I'll ride these and see how they go, probably increase pressure a bit more to see if that helps

thanks again