PDA

View Full Version : downtube cable stop orientation

cinema
07-07-2020, 10:17 PM
building up the 90s nago and i found my problem solvers dt cable stops do not fit flush on the frame boss. they sit slightly above.

If i switch the cable stops to the opposite sides, they seem to fit flush. unfortunately that makes the barrel adjusters sit above the downtube, not underneath, like they normally should be orientated. i've never seen cable stops oriented like that on any bike i've owned. I'm guessing it's wrong and there's a proper cable stop that i need. anybody know what that is?

TIA

ultraman6970
07-07-2020, 10:54 PM
One thing after the other... sucks.

No, never seen those things of any brand upside down.

Assuming the back of those things is symmetric then wonder if you still have some paint in the boss, some companies when they prep the frames they remove all the paint off the boss, seen some that fit odd due to the paint but when you tight them they fit ok.

Put some grease in the boss itself aswell.

cinema
07-07-2020, 11:03 PM
yes older proprietary stuff brazed on is not the easiest to find exact fitment for these days. assuming they are symmetrical would lead me to believe that they wouldnt fit flush in the opposite orientation either (but they do.) maybe campy set from around the time period would work before i begin filing down the problem solvers

jtakeda
07-07-2020, 11:52 PM
Can you post a pic?

cinema
07-08-2020, 12:44 AM
sure. here the stop fits but is in the wrong orientation

https://i.imgur.com/HSuQPyG.jpg

doesn't fit in the correct positioning

https://i.imgur.com/wbkEq6G.jpg

Here is the boss itself

https://i.imgur.com/0GyOnzh.jpg

need a specific vintage stop it seems

jtakeda
07-08-2020, 12:50 AM
Ahh I see.

I bet a campagnolo stop would fit-I had this problem before and the campy ones fit

cinema
07-08-2020, 12:53 AM
sweet. yeah thanks for confirming! there are a few different campy ones on the bay so have to find some i can return in case theyre wrong

jtakeda
07-08-2020, 12:58 AM
sweet. yeah thanks for confirming! there are a few different campy ones on the bay so have to find some i can return in case theyre wrong

I have some I pulled off my landshark before I moved-- If you have some calipers and want to measure I can measure the stops and confirm they fit

Also--Could you just file down the inside of the stop you have now to get a better fit?

cinema
07-08-2020, 01:33 AM
you were both right--there was paint goober underneath the boss on nondrive side. put some grease on it and cranked the stop down anyway and it pulled into place. it does not sit perfect but 90% there, the paint is just thick on that boss/frame junction. a cable stop that was maybe .2mm thicker all around would make it flush but can live with this for now. thanks ultra and jt

mktng
07-08-2020, 04:53 AM
Don't be scared to file some paint off the braze on.

Better to take excess paint off than to jam that thing on with force.

rccardr
07-08-2020, 01:16 PM
This.
Only takes a couple minutes and some care to do it right.
Mask off the downtube around the stop and use a small file, sandpaper stick or Dremel brass brush wheel to take off the excess paint.