PDA

View Full Version : Tubeless tire inflator seater for $14.99

oldfatslow
07-06-2020, 04:50 PM
I watched this video: https://youtu.be/NB08gNYrLhI

I bought this at Home Depot for $14.99: https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-2-Gal-Pump-Sprayer-1502HDXA/307766539

I cut off some bits I didn't need and added some electrical tape and reassembled basically as directed in video.

Works like a champ. Seated my 700c Panaracer 38mm Gravel Kings on first attempt.

10% of cost of Topeak or Blackburn solution.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200706/23cee01e39354e2ad333f1c397edf791.jpg

Dromen
07-06-2020, 05:06 PM
Good Lord and OMG! THANK YOU FOR THE SHARE.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

ntb1001
07-06-2020, 05:24 PM
Wow...that looks great!!

I’ll be picking up one next time I’m at Home Depot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davist
07-06-2020, 05:45 PM
thanks! I have used the 2l coke bottle one with mixed results.. I'm ready for the upgrade! video of coke bottle version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa4gP5wGN4w

brucehappy
07-06-2020, 05:52 PM
Fantastic! Thanks!! I don't have a compressor, so if the Topeak Mountain X floor pump I just bought won't seat the Panaracer GravelKing SS I have coming, I can hit up the Lowe's and get it done!

hockeybike
07-06-2020, 05:54 PM
I was able to seat 28mm conti 5ks on stans alpha 340s by mounting the tires, ensuring the valve stem was between (rather than under) the beads, filling the tire with 2oz of sealant (remove valve core and dump sealant into the valve, then spin the wheel to spread the sealant), and then pumping with a lezyne “hi volume” pump. Was that luck? Seemed relatively straightforward.

Jaybee
07-06-2020, 06:48 PM
I was able to seat 28mm conti 5ks on stans alpha 340s by mounting the tires, ensuring the valve stem was between (rather than under) the beads, filling the tire with 2oz of sealant (remove valve core and dump sealant into the valve, then spin the wheel to spread the sealant), and then pumping with a lezyne “hi volume” pump. Was that luck? Seemed relatively straightforward.

Im able to seat about 50% of the tire-rim combos I try with soapy water and a track pump. The other half require a quick HV blast of air like the OPs setup would provide. Nice hack.

yinzerniner
07-06-2020, 07:17 PM
I think with the newest combos of road tubeless tires and rims the HDX pump like the OP posted works most of the time, but if you're trying to seat stubborn and/or older rim and tire combos it really isn't that effective. While it has the volume, it simply cannot get up to a high enough pressure for pushing up stubborn combos IME.

Now if you're only dealing with tires 35mm or larger the HDX should work just fine.

vqdriver
07-06-2020, 08:15 PM
Wish I'd seen that video a couple years ago. I can see that being a nice option on a trip, just toss it in the trunk next to your floor pump. Can also use it to spray yourself (or bike) post ride.
But after finally breaking down and buying a compressor I can't imagine why I went so long without one. Sooo many uses, bike and otherwise. Just get the compressor that you're going to buy eventually and save yourself the headache.

Davist
07-07-2020, 04:47 AM

"Road" is a lot easier, I've seated them (5ks) with my floor pump as well, even without removing cores first. You're using good technique as well. For the MTB tires (I can use 2.1 on my gravel wheels) it takes a blast of air.

Dromen
07-08-2020, 07:57 AM
Probably silly ?, think the 1gal model work just fine?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

hockeybike
08-18-2020, 08:01 AM
So, adding onto this thread's tubeless technique:

swapping tires onto new rims. Any tricks? Cant' seem to get my GP5ks to seat after they were mounted on my stans and then moved to another rim.

Should i dump all the sealant and clean em or something?

KonaSS
08-18-2020, 08:37 AM
So, adding onto this thread's tubeless technique:

swapping tires onto new rims. Any tricks? Cant' seem to get my GP5ks to seat after they were mounted on my stans and then moved to another rim.

Should i dump all the sealant and clean em or something?

Seem too tight or too loose?

If too tight, might try soapy water to help it seat and a strong blast of air. Use an air compressor or air canister and take the presta valve out to get a strong blast.

Too loose, might try another layer of rim tape on the new rim.

hockeybike
08-18-2020, 09:09 AM
Thanks -- so, the tire didn't seem loose or tight the first time I mounted it on the rim (second time it had been mounted). But, i noticed that i mounted it backwards so given covid free time, i removed it and then flipped it and re-mounted (third time put onto a rim).

Inflated easily the first time on this rim, but won't inflate easily this time.

Can go try the compressor route before more rim tape -- have a hunch it isn't the tape since it's a DT swiss rim with their tubeless rim bed. Could it be that there's some dry sealant on the tire that's preventing it from moving up/down the rim and seating?

Jaybee
08-18-2020, 09:42 AM
Thanks -- so, the tire didn't seem loose or tight the first time I mounted it on the rim (second time it had been mounted). But, i noticed that i mounted it backwards so given covid free time, i removed it and then flipped it and re-mounted (third time put onto a rim).

Inflated easily the first time on this rim, but won't inflate easily this time.

Can go try the compressor route before more rim tape -- have a hunch it isn't the tape since it's a DT swiss rim with their tubeless rim bed. Could it be that there's some dry sealant on the tire that's preventing it from moving up/down the rim and seating?

I've run into this before. Just go around the bead on both sides with your finger or a rag and pull any gunk off/make sure it feels smooth. Can you feel where the air is escaping when you try to inflate?

Waldo62
08-18-2020, 12:50 PM
What an awesome hack! I may go tubeless just to use a converted sprayer.

eBAUMANN
08-18-2020, 12:57 PM
Have you tried it on larger volume mtb tires? What kind of PSI can that tank hold? You can typically fudge your way through smaller tire seating (up to 45c) but I’ve found it really starts to make a difference at 2.3+, also certain tire/rim combos seat much easier than others.

I have a Lezyne charger-style floor pump and an airshot charger-tank thingy that I use. The airshot replaces the valve core and allows for a much higher airflow than the floor pump system, seating most of the larger volume tires I’ve attempted.

While I applaud this hack, it should come with a heavy “YMMV” clause (like ANY non-compressor based gizmo).

hockeybike
08-18-2020, 01:14 PM
I've run into this before. Just go around the bead on both sides with your finger or a rag and pull any gunk off/make sure it feels smooth. Can you feel where the air is escaping when you try to inflate?

Believe this is the culprit -- lots of dried sealant around the tire edge (they're new, so this is just due to me leaving the tire out overnight w/o being seated, I think)

Clancy
08-19-2020, 06:53 AM
Too loose, might try another layer of rim tape on the new rim.

It took me too long to realize this simple solution. Prior to my stupid mind opening up I stuck to the same routine of wrapping a rim twice with rim tape regardless of how loose the tire was when mounted. Now, if a tire feels too loose before attempting to seat I pull it off, give the rim another wrap, and go again. The other point that took me too long to figure out is that the Scotch brand of tape I’m using now is thinner than Stan’s requiring an additional time or two around the rim.

A long way of saying each tire/wheel combo might fit differently so each may require its own set-up.

For bicycles being so simple, seems I never quit learning.

hockeybike
08-19-2020, 07:14 AM
Needed new rim tape in the end. I do like the tubeless ride...but...sheesh. Black rim tape on a black rim (dt Swiss) is a less than great idea. Too hard to see cuts in the tape.

So...yep. Any tips on not making a mess while draining sealant from a tire?