PDA

View Full Version : West Oahu

bigbill
01-28-2007, 01:33 PM
Several of you know me from another forum but I don't post here very much. I live on the island of Oahu and frequently post shots that I take while commuting or otherwise riding. The shots I am posting now were taken last Sunday on a ride from my house in Ewa Beach to the top of Kole Kole pass. Pineapple fields, bike shot, roadway, and liquor store signs. If you want more, I am taking suggestions. I leave the islands in April to spend May-October in Sardinia before settling into my new home in Poulsbo, Washington.

Tailwinds
01-28-2007, 01:41 PM
Very cool pix! I love to imagine being somewhere warmer right now.

I have the opportunity to maybe move to Maui. I'm wondering what it's like living on an island and being a cyclist. Do you ever get bored?

This sounds pretty cool:

"Hana rests at the end of the 50-mile Hana Highway (360) that features 600 hairpin turns and 54 one-lane bridges. Stop often to drink in the sheer natural beauty that surrounds you: bamboo jungles, tropical flowers, tranquil ponds and scenic vistas."

Ok, maybe not the one-lane bridges! But I wonder what the riding is like there... ?

I'm spoiled w/the riding in CO -- WHEN IT'S NOT SNOWING! :rolleyes:

bigbill
01-28-2007, 02:20 PM
Very cool pix! I love to imagine being somewhere warmer right now.

I have the opportunity to maybe move to Maui. I'm wondering what it's like living on an island and being a cyclist. Do you ever get bored?

This sounds pretty cool:

"Hana rests at the end of the 50-mile Hana Highway (360) that features 600 hairpin turns and 54 one-lane bridges. Stop often to drink in the sheer natural beauty that surrounds you: bamboo jungles, tropical flowers, tranquil ponds and scenic vistas."

Ok, maybe not the one-lane bridges! But I wonder what the riding is like there... ?

I'm spoiled w/the riding in CO -- WHEN IT'S NOT SNOWING! :rolleyes:
A frequent poster on RBR describes the road to Hana as the most beautiful ride of his life. The guy rides around 20K a year so he sees alot. As far as boredom, with no natural break in the year you get a little burnt out. I commute to work every day so my burn out only extends to the weekend rides. The weekdays are a matter of practicality. We only have one car. We will have a second car in the PNW.

Tailwinds
01-28-2007, 02:30 PM
As far as boredom, with no natural break in the year you get a little burnt out.

I lived in FL for 10 years, so I know what year-round cycling is like -- sign me up!

Thanks and good luck w/your next adventures.

sn69
01-28-2007, 03:25 PM
I was just wondering about you and how the impending move was coming-along. Glad to hear from ya.

Scott

Louis
01-28-2007, 07:40 PM
Didn't Dave T get Serotta to outlaw this kind of thread from Dec to March? :p

csm
01-28-2007, 07:54 PM
I lived in HI for a couple of years. I actually missed the change of season.

dave thompson
01-28-2007, 09:50 PM
Didn't Dave T get Serotta to outlaw this kind of thread from Dec to March? :p
Yes. To all who bicycle in warm and sunny climes during the winter; Bite Me!

bigbill
01-28-2007, 10:16 PM
Yes. To all who bicycle in warm and sunny climes during the winter; Bite Me!

Sure, but I am moving to the PNW so the whole karma thing works out. I do get to spend 5+ months in Italy first, so the karma is a little delayed.

dave thompson
01-28-2007, 10:23 PM
Sure, but I am moving to the PNW so the whole karma thing works out. I do get to spend 5+ months in Italy first, so the karma is a little delayed.
I suppose my living here in eastern Washington is the Yang for the Yin of living 12 years in Hawaii

physasst
01-28-2007, 10:41 PM
I was just wondering about you and how the impending move was coming-along. Glad to hear from ya.

Scott

of wondering...how the heck are ya Scott....?? How's life in the big blue sky..to Bigbill...sorry for the offtopic post... :)

bigbill
01-29-2007, 12:26 AM
I suppose my living here in eastern Washington is the Yang for the Yin of living 12 years in Hawaii

The Yang of living in Hawaii for 12 years should be something like the "thumb" of Michigan. I would love to live in the Spokane area. My broker lives just East in Idaho. The summers are great and last longer than the west end of the state.

dave thompson
01-29-2007, 07:47 AM
The Yang of living in Hawaii for 12 years should be something like the "thumb" of Michigan. I would love to live in the Spokane area. My broker lives just East in Idaho. The summers are great and last longer than the west end of the state.
You're right, plus the riding here is great. I was just trying to elicit some sympathy. :p