PDA

View Full Version : more tool talk

vqdriver
07-05-2020, 03:21 PM
i have a set of the colored wiha allens that i really like and was looking for a good set of regular flat and philips drivers to keep at my bench. question is if there's any reason not to get insulated screwdrivers. i know they're intended for electrical work, of which i do very little. but if i'm going to buy one 'good' set for everything, is there any downside? the only thing i can maybe thing of is they look to have a larger diameter shaft relative to the head which may make it a tight fit in some uses.

vqdriver
07-05-2020, 03:23 PM
oh, and i won't be able to use a magnetic holder..

zmudshark
07-05-2020, 04:01 PM
Not sure what your needs are, but look into JIS screwdrivers if that niche fits. Other than that, I never regretted getting a Klein. I'm sure there better, but I have no idea.

Back in the old days I apprenticed with an old wood worker, he said buy a tool once.

Ralph
07-05-2020, 04:15 PM
I still use the Craftsman Tools I bought in 1964. Screwdrivers still good, and they have had a lot of use. The tool box they were in, as part of a so called complete set, is now kinda rusty though. Those were pretty good tools then. Maybe not the best, but pretty good.

A little more OT.....agreed to pay $10 a month for them. Few months later got a B & W TV...payment stayed $10/month. Bought a washer and dryer....payment went to $16 per month. Got a new suit....payment went to $18 per month.

At my meager income those days....Took me a long time to get owning Sears out of my life. LOL Sorry for the drift....your post brought back some memories of a long time ago.

Plum Hill
07-05-2020, 04:17 PM
I worked as an electrician for 35 years and never owned an insulated screwdriver. If I was worried, a wrap of Scotch 33+ sufficed.

dave thompson
07-05-2020, 04:18 PM
i have a set of the colored wiha allens that i really like and was looking for a good set of regular flat and philips drivers to keep at my bench. question is if there's any reason not to get insulated screwdrivers. i know they're intended for electrical work, of which i do very little. but if i'm going to buy one 'good' set for everything, is there any downside? the only thing i can maybe thing of is they look to have a larger diameter shaft relative to the head which may make it a tight fit in some uses.

I bought this set of WERA insulated screwdrivers for use in my bicycle maintenance back in 2017. They’ve seen a ton of use without skipping a beat. Their best attribute is they fit very securely in their respective fasteners and don’t try to cam out.

rePhil
07-05-2020, 07:07 PM
Ralph,

Do those C-man screwdrivers give off the famous "Craftsman scent"?

I still use the Craftsman Tools I bought in 1964. Screwdrivers still good, and they have had a lot of use. The tool box they were in, as part of a so called complete set, is now kinda rusty though. Those were pretty good tools then. Maybe not the best, but pretty good.

A little more OT.....agreed to pay $10 a month for them. Few months later got a B & W TV...payment stayed $10/month. Bought a washer and dryer....payment went to $16 per month. Got a new suit....payment went to $18 per month.

At my meager income those days....Took me a long time to get owning Sears out of my life. LOL Sorry for the drift....your post brought back some memories of a long time ago.

vqdriver
07-05-2020, 07:33 PM
Googled jis and see japanese industry standard screwdrivers. Didnt even know that existed. Aren't all philips just philips?

Not sure what your needs are, but look into JIS screwdrivers if that niche fits. Other than that, I never regretted getting a Klein. I'm sure there better, but I have no idea.

Back in the old days I apprenticed with an old wood worker, he said buy a tool once.

skijoring
07-05-2020, 07:48 PM
Googled jis and see japanese industry standard screwdrivers. Didnt even know that existed. Aren't all philips just philips?

Hi Lo adjustments and B Screws on Shimano derailleurs are JIS.

Gsinill
07-05-2020, 09:07 PM
I prefer wood handles for everything non-electrical.
Just got my second set of these for my "bike shop":

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-9t4wk8/images/stencil/original/products/516/59211/F22155__61119.1541624290.jpg?c=2&imbypass=on

Fairly reasonably priced too IMHO.
http://www.kctoolco.com/felo-22155-wood-handle-slotted-phillips-screwdriver-set-5-pieces/

joosttx
07-05-2020, 09:16 PM
I prefer wood handles for everything non-electrical.
Just got my second set of these for my "bike shop":

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-9t4wk8/images/stencil/original/products/516/59211/F22155__61119.1541624290.jpg?c=2&imbypass=on

Fairly reasonably priced too IMHO.
http://www.kctoolco.com/felo-22155-wood-handle-slotted-phillips-screwdriver-set-5-pieces/

KC tools had these on sale a couple years ago and I picked them up. They are excellent and durable.

Hindmost
07-05-2020, 09:38 PM
Ralph,

Do those C-man screwdrivers give off the famous "Craftsman scent"?

You're talking about that odor that the handles give off? That smell is so weird; what is it?

fmradio516
07-06-2020, 05:58 AM
You're talking about that odor that the handles give off? That smell is so weird; what is it?

maybe im thinking of the same as well? old tool handles? smells like vomit. I still cant figure out how to get rid of the smell in my grandpas old toolbox.

fignon's barber
07-06-2020, 07:08 AM
maybe im thinking of the same as well? old tool handles? smells like vomit. I still cant figure out how to get rid of the smell in my grandpas old toolbox.

So true.

fmradio516
07-06-2020, 09:13 AM
So true.

Actually, really funny story about this that I just remembered.

Shortly after my grandpa gave me his tool box, i brought it up to my boston apartment that i shared with friends. Shortly after, we had a really big party. Like a real sh*t show.

A couple days later, I open the toolbox for the first time and get a huge whiff. I right away go straight to "SOMEONE ACTUALLY PUKED IN MY TOOLBOX AND CLEANED IT UP REALLY WELL"

I disinfected everything and it was still there. Then i found out about those old plastic handles..

RWL2222
07-06-2020, 09:57 AM
Whoa, I have wondered for decades where in the holy h*ll that stink in the toolbox came from.

rePhil
07-06-2020, 10:18 AM
Now that's funny! You aren't alone or the first to think that. Those acetate handles can give off that famous aroma. I thought someone was playing a practical joke the first time I had a whiff.

Actually, really funny story about this that I just remembered.

Shortly after my grandpa gave me his tool box, i brought it up to my boston apartment that i shared with friends. Shortly after, we had a really big party. Like a real sh*t show.

A couple days later, I open the toolbox for the first time and get a huge whiff. I right away go straight to "SOMEONE ACTUALLY PUKED IN MY TOOLBOX AND CLEANED IT UP REALLY WELL"

I disinfected everything and it was still there. Then i found out about those old plastic handles..

lonoeightysix
07-06-2020, 11:08 AM
Vessel Megadora. Best handle grip, best cross fit.

I wouldn't pay the premium for an insulated set, not for bike wrenching at least.