PDA

View Full Version : 4th of July aftermath

vqdriver
07-05-2020, 03:13 PM
warm day, maybe take the kids for a short ride.....
open the front door and noped back in

this is the air quality in LA today.

jtbadge
07-05-2020, 03:43 PM
The police have been dropping off truckloads of fireworks in neighborhoods where protests have been happening across the country, of course this was going to happen.

parris
07-05-2020, 04:06 PM
JT where did you see that LEO are dropping off fireworks?

Plum Hill
07-05-2020, 04:10 PM
Hot and humid today in the Mississippi River Valley.
MUP trail in my little town was littered with remnants from last night’s fireworks when I went out for a walk this morning. One would have thought the city would have blown the trail off after the show. Not these clowns.

One of the Internet weather services had us down as an 11 on the UV index the other day. Just like Spinal Tap.

GOTHBROOKS
07-05-2020, 04:12 PM
i dont get it. the air quality is always gross here.

GOTHBROOKS
07-05-2020, 04:14 PM
like, why is smoke from fireworks something to raise ones eyebrows about but not all the smog and whatever else caused by automobiles/manufacturing/etc etc. on the normal day to day.

Mike V
07-05-2020, 04:22 PM
Bad air in LA. Nooooooooo! Never.

jkbrwn
07-05-2020, 04:23 PM
I mean to be fair it is worse today than usual. The air was thick with smoke last night and no fireworks were being let off near my home.

cgolvin
07-05-2020, 04:25 PM
It's always markedly worse here in the Los Angeles basin on July 5 (I haven't gone in search of historical data but I'd be very surprised if July 5 is not anomalous in air quality readings). Today is significantly more so. In a normal year we can see fireworks shows across the horizon, put on by the cities from the south bay to south of downtown, lasting for maybe two+ hours. Yesterday the displays started before sundown and continued past midnight.

I too considered a morning ride, but a glimpse at the horizon and consulting the AQ index scotched that idea.

cgolvin
07-05-2020, 04:29 PM
Bad air in LA. Nooooooooo! Never.

Yeah, and SRAM sucks. Alert the media.

{insert .sig similar to @bicycletricycle's here so you know I'm not serious}

Matt92037
07-05-2020, 04:57 PM
The air was terrible in San Diego today as well but there is no way it was because of fireworks. Looked like it was from a fire in mexico

bicycletricycle
07-05-2020, 05:11 PM
The police have been dropping off truckloads of fireworks in neighborhoods where protests have been happening across the country, of course this was going to happen.

Proof of this?

vqdriver
07-05-2020, 05:15 PM
like, why is smoke from fireworks something to raise ones eyebrows about but not all the smog and whatever else caused by automobiles/manufacturing/etc etc. on the normal day to day.

today's worse than normal, and noticeably different from last week. fireworks for sure, combined with hotter temps and no wind.
the view from the 134 going across eagle rock, i can almost always see the dtla skyline, out to the century city skyline on a good day, to the ocean on the best of days. this morning i couldn't see S. gross

Bruce K
07-05-2020, 05:20 PM
Let’s be careful with wild accusations.

There certainly seems to be an elevated amount of illegal fireworks this year in our area.

People buying from out of state and bringing them back.

Not a good situation for pets and those with PTSD.

Again, let’s stick with facts.

BK

GOTHBROOKS
07-05-2020, 05:28 PM
“facts dont matter” and “you gotta hear both sides”

Clean39T
07-05-2020, 05:48 PM
Hot Take: We should celebrate that which brings us together and sustains us, and leave the "holidays" that stand as relics of oppression and division behind..

Bruce K
07-05-2020, 05:48 PM
And now we’re done

BK