PDA

View Full Version : Way OT: Gas fireplace inserts

zmudshark
07-04-2020, 05:18 PM
Since it's in the mid 90's for the foreseeable future in MI, I'm looking at a gas fireplace insert. We usually Winter in AZ, but due to Covid and ailing health of in-laws, we think we may be stuck in MI for a Winter or two.

Anyone have ant experience with a natural gas insert? Looking for something pretty nice that has some heating ability, but likely to turn on in the morning to take the chill off, and in the evening for ambiance, so not heating as a primary use. Ease of use and natural look is most important. There is a wood burning fireplace already, so insert is what I think I'm looking for.

I'd rather hear what the hive mind has to say tah the local dealers, because you guys are consistently wise in OT matters, and I hate sales pitches. Most stores around here carry one, maybe two brands. Napoleon, Duluth and Heat N Glo are some of the brands that come up. Not looking for the most expensive, but probably middle of the line, which are expensive enough.

Any advice? Thanks!

C40_guy
07-04-2020, 05:41 PM
You should post on hearth.com, where you will get lots of knowledgeable advice and potentially recommendations to local dealers.

If you're installing this in an existing fireplace, by the way, you will probably need to put in a stainless liner.

Also, might want to consider a wood stove insert. They throw a lot of heat and are more fun to play with. No remote control to lose, just a canvas sling to carry wood in from outside.

Whichever way you go, find someone who knows what they're doing. Look for a CSIA certified chimney sweep.

When we were having our insert installed in our house, I got a quote from one guy (not CSIA certified) that wasn't much more than the cost of the liner parts. That scared me. I ended up paying triple what that guy quoted...and felt good about it.

Now is a good time to talk to dealers/installers. If you call in September, you may not get an installation date until the end of the year...

Gsinill
07-04-2020, 05:49 PM
We have a Heat N Glo in our bedroom which has been functioning as a secondary office since Covid 19 (my wife and I are both WFH and we can't be in con calls at the same time in one office).

My wife used it exactly for what you described as long as it was cold outside.
Turn it on in the morning to take the chill out and keep the room warm without heating the whole house.
Works surprisingly well from a heating perspective and looks pretty decent for a fake wood fire...
Just be prepared to have someone come out every other year to clean and service the thing.

zmudshark
07-04-2020, 05:58 PM
You should post on hearth.com, where you will get lots of knowledgeable advice and potentially recommendations to local dealers.

If you're installing this in an existing fireplace, by the way, you will probably need to put in a stainless liner.

Also, might want to consider a wood stove insert. They throw a lot of heat and are more fun to play with. No remote control to lose, just a canvas sling to carry wood in from outside.

Whichever way you go, find someone who knows what they're doing. Look for a CSIA certified chimney sweep.

When we were having our insert installed in our house, I got a quote from one guy (not CSIA certified) that wasn't much more than the cost of the liner parts. That scared me. I ended up paying triple what that guy quoted...and felt good about it.

Now is a good time to talk to dealers/installers. If you call in September, you may not get an installation date until the end of the year...
Not dealing with wood, even though my son has a lifetime supply of ash. Not doing anything myself. I’m going on 70 and can always sell a De Rosa to help pay for it.

Ken Robb
07-04-2020, 05:59 PM
You may be able to find a fireplace store with working displays which helped me a lot. OTOH these days there are probably videos on line. The best ones for looks are VERY realistic but most of the heat goes up the chimney. The best for heating can look quite industrial. You might be able to get the best of both worlds with a whole new fireplace "system" but that would be a rather big expensive proposition.

Hindmost
07-04-2020, 06:16 PM
I had one installed winter before last. Looks nice and heats my small house pretty well. And it has a thermostat! (My previous heat was ancient gas wall heaters.) It puts my fireplace to both practical and decorative use. Burning wood for heat is frowned upon and getting closer to full-on illegal here.

mass_biker
07-04-2020, 06:25 PM
We converted 2 fireplaces in our home to gas inserts (as well as updated one that was in our kitchen).

Love them. They are remote controlled, and do a great job warming up each space. There were some considerations around venting/lining etc. given the preexisting chimneys/flues etc., but we haven't looked back.

We still have one wood burning fireplace in the family room though.

That said, the ease/utility of having something you can turn on/off - especially in the shoulder season, or on a cold winter's morning - is great.

The brand/model etc. is "Real Fyre" by RH Peterson.

I second the suggestion to find a good local provider - while the work was not terribly involved, it did require some consideration of space/vent/flue etc. in the choice of the inserts - they are different depending on the depth/draw of each preexisting fireplace.

m_b

C40_guy
07-05-2020, 09:00 AM
Not dealing with wood, even though my son has a lifetime supply of ash. Not doing anything myself. I’m going on 70 and can always sell a De Rosa to help pay for it.

I'm a decade behind you, still enjoy playing with fire and schlepping logs...

Frankwurst
07-05-2020, 09:28 AM
We have one in our basement. Best money I ever spent on a home improvement. Has a remote,adjustable speed blower and flame. People can say what they want about real wood but while they are splitting, hauling and stacking I'm sitting, drinking and enjoying my nice warm basement. Once the temperature gets to where I'm comfortable I throttle it down and just let it maintain. It can even be set with the remote to function like your furnace and maintain a set temperature if one is so inclined. Ours is not an insert but a gas fireplace I framen in and put stone around and vents out the side wall. :beer:

zmudshark
07-05-2020, 11:55 AM
I'm a decade behind you, still enjoy playing with fire and schlepping logs...

I was good until I messed my back up taking care of my dad after he had surgery. That was four years ago. He’s in better shape than me, now.

zmudshark
07-05-2020, 11:57 AM
I really appreciate all the replies. I will be calling the fireplace stores that are local to me and have them come out to see what I’m dealing with.

wallymann
07-05-2020, 12:21 PM
also in MI, metro detroit area.

a couple years ago with our gut/reno, we went with ventless gas-logs retrofitted to our existing brick fireplaces. they're not truly ventless -- the flue is kept like 1/4" open for venting so the majority of the BTUs stay in the house.

you'll never confuse the flame with a wood log, but it does the heating business. thermostatically controlled, so you desired room-temp via wireless remote and it cycles like a furnace. built-in CO detector for safety. it really throws out the heat!

if interested i can post up make/model info.

Davist
07-05-2020, 01:21 PM
Our fireplace wasn't usable (too big an opening 6' x 4') so we put a gas stove insert in and ran "co axial" pipe within a pipe (outside air only, heated on the way in by the exhaust) and have been very happy. No gas in the street, so we have to do propane, but highly recommend. Many options for style as well, has a blower but no remote (switch on side to turn on).

gavingould
07-05-2020, 06:09 PM
had one done in Chicago a couple years ago.
when burning wood, vast majority of heat went straight out the chimney.
once the gas insert was in, much better. quick to heat, remote, fan, etc. a little louder fan that i would have liked, but overall it was a nice addition.

zmudshark
07-05-2020, 07:29 PM
had one done in Chicago a couple years ago.
when burning wood, vast majority of heat went straight out the chimney.
once the gas insert was in, much better. quick to heat, remote, fan, etc. a little louder fan that i would have liked, but overall it was a nice addition.

My feelings exactly.

parris
07-05-2020, 08:16 PM
We've had a Lopi gas fired stove for at least 15 years as a secondary heat source put in out basement family room. It's given very good service and has been easy to maintain. My only regret is that I didn't spring for the blower kit. That would've increased it's heating efficiency. They do make fireplace inserts.

zmudshark
07-05-2020, 08:30 PM
We've had a Lopi gas fired stove for at least 15 years as a secondary heat source put in out basement family room. It's given very good service and has been easy to maintain. My only regret is that I didn't spring for the blower kit. That would've increased it's heating efficiency. They do make fireplace inserts.

Thanks, added to the list. This forum is the best!

tomato coupe
07-05-2020, 09:47 PM
We have two Heat & Glo units that we like a lot, although we replaced another unit during a remodel that we actually liked better. (Can't remember the brand right now.) We put that one in storage, and I'd give it away if you were closer.

zmudshark
07-06-2020, 07:54 PM
Right now, I'm leaning towards HeatnGlo. We'll see. Napoleon is also in the mix. Finding the right dealer is next.