PDA

View Full Version : Rust in the frame...1996 Serotta TG

hookookadoo
01-28-2007, 08:29 AM
Anyone had any luck resolving or slowing down the progression of rust in the seat tube? I see a number of products to prevent it from happening in the first place, but no products that address what to do when its there.

Can serotta do anything? Maybe weld a thin reinforcing tube inside the frame to strengthen the weakened area?

Anyway to assess how bad it is? I have not yet scraped the initial layer of rust off, but that likely would be a good start.

The new Fierte Ti is starting to look real nice....

Peter P.
01-28-2007, 11:08 AM
To clean it, buy an inexpensive bottle brush from the supermarket and attach it to a handle long enough to reach all the way down your seat tube. Brush the rust deposits free. Then push a rag down there to clean up any dust; pull it out the BB.

Last, use either Weigle's Framesaver to coat the inside of the seat tube. All you need to do is seal the surface from oxygen. Once the Framesaver sets up, you're all set, no further worries.

Too Tall
01-28-2007, 03:26 PM
A decent shop will have a flex hone that will clean the seat tube reallll nice.

thosmm
01-28-2007, 05:29 PM
The flex hone is the best option, followed by Framesaver. Another option is to pick up some RIG grease at a gunshop and swab the inside of the tubes with the RIG grease.

One thing to point out is that if you have rust in your seat tube, you probably have it in your bottom bracket and other tubes as well. Pick up some Framesaver and apply it to your entire frame according to the directions. It's better to use it before you have rust, but it will help.

Tom

hookookadoo
01-28-2007, 07:13 PM
Thanks to all for the advice. I pulled the seat off again today and right now it just looks like surface rust as best as I can tell, so hopefully no material damage has been done. Sounds like framesaver is the ticket.