PDA

View Full Version : trusting a tubless with a puncture

Dr Luxurious
07-04-2020, 12:22 AM
Still new to the tubeless thing. Yes, really.

I got a wire staple in my tire (big construction type). Straight puncture.
It sealed.
So how trustworthy is it, now?

vqdriver
07-04-2020, 12:35 AM
If it sealed you'll be fine.
Just park it with the puncture at the bottom at night

Likes2ridefar
07-04-2020, 05:18 AM
With higher pressure road tubeless, I’ve had them come back to cause issues. Personally I’d replace it. That is primarily why I stopped tubeless with small volume high pressure road tires. Expensive and not reliable after a puncture or they don’t seal at all when punctured.

Rarely with lower pressure larger volume tires I ride now..

mktng
07-04-2020, 06:44 AM
You can always patch from the inside.
There are different methods to repairing small punctures.

Sealant is more. To me at least. A safety net for the mid ride punctures. Not a permanent repair. If you feel like it's not reliable, or have doubts. Patch it and set it back up.

Personally. I've never had to patch. I just run the tire down and replace it. If I lose a few burps of sealant from time to time. Not a huge deal. I did however pick up some VCL from Mariposa to try. Help deal up larger gashes.

slambers3
07-04-2020, 07:08 AM
You can always patch from the inside.
There are different methods to repairing small punctures.

Sealant is more. To me at least. A safety net for the mid ride punctures. Not a permanent repair. If you feel like it's not reliable, or have doubts. Patch it and set it back up.

Personally. I've never had to patch. I just run the tire down and replace it. If I lose a few burps of sealant from time to time. Not a huge deal. I did however pick up some VCL from Mariposa to try. Help deal up larger gashes.

To echo this, I’ve had good luck in the past with placing a standard patch on the inside of the tire for those punctures that wouldn’t seal. Just gotta clean the casing really really well.

ColonelJLloyd
07-04-2020, 07:16 AM
Yeah, tire size/volume in question and pressure is key info.

I repaired a pretty large (8-9mm) cut in in the tread of a 700x35 GravelKing SK with a large Hutchinson tubeless patch and it's been going strong for 6 months. Using Orange Seal Endurance FWIW.

Seems all bets are off when 60psi+ and tubeless is the combo.

makoti
07-04-2020, 07:28 AM
Refresh your sealant to replace what was used, inflate the tire at about half your riding pressure, let sit for about 24 hours, re-inflate, ride and be happy again.

John H.
07-04-2020, 09:54 AM
Put a plug in it.