PDA

View Full Version : Shimano 9000 Crankarm Failure.

dvs cycles
07-03-2020, 06:55 PM
Thought I had a bent pedal when my right foot would twist down at the 5 o'clock and up at the 11 o'clock positions. Changed pedal but same result.
Checked closer and found a crack just in from the pedal mount on the inside about an inch from the pedal all the way across.
Could have been serious.
Anyone else know of this failure?

cinema
07-03-2020, 07:00 PM
inherent design flaw in the generation https://www.instagram.com/thanksshimano/

Robot870
07-03-2020, 07:08 PM
Crap! I bought a set a few months ago.....Glad your ok

AngryScientist
07-03-2020, 07:10 PM
yea, shimano hollow cranks are mostly reliable, but failures do happen, as per that insta account!

i've gotten into the habit of looking over mine pretty closely every couple weeks . hopefully i'd catch a failure before it happens.

zzy
07-03-2020, 07:14 PM
Honestly the number of failures of first gen 11sp cranks is almost getting into class action territory.

reuben
07-03-2020, 08:10 PM
Dang! Glad you noticed it before a chatastropbic failure.

Anyone know.if the current generation fixed that?

thirdgenbird
07-03-2020, 08:13 PM
Dang! Glad you noticed it before a chatastropbic failure.

Anyone know.if the current generation fixed that?

There are examples of current ultegra and dura ace cranks in the provided link.

reuben
07-03-2020, 08:19 PM
There are examples of current ultegra and dura ace cranks in the provided link.
Yeah, I saw that. Are they all the same generation? Are any of them the current generation? Or has the issue been fixed?

stev0
07-03-2020, 08:43 PM
I think as far as anyone can tell all the new crankarms are susceptible to the same failure mode.

pbarry
07-03-2020, 09:29 PM
Yeah, I saw that. Are they all the same generation? Are any of them the current generation? Or has the issue been fixed?

If you look at the images and scroll down, there are 9000, 9100, R8000, 6800, 5800, etc. So, yes, current and previous generations of hollow crank arms.

Matthew
07-03-2020, 11:28 PM
Great. Got a NOS 6800 group on my Moots. I broke a 7800 arm in the same spot 4-5 years ago.

buddybikes
07-04-2020, 05:56 AM
Inherent nature of manufacturing and push to go lighter and lighter. Shimano is far from the only ones.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/_V54WWNeyyp4/SiaC2KfRNeI/AAAAAAAABX0/XixYXcktjyg/s400/4247_96478819466_563814466_2656217_2216906_n.jpg

Peter P.
07-04-2020, 06:12 AM
Inherent nature of manufacturing and push to go lighter and lighter.

How true. The consuming public got what they wanted...

mcteague
07-04-2020, 06:16 AM
How true. The consuming public got what they wanted...

I had an Avocet crank snap at the pedal hole back in the 80s. Solid aluminum. My 11s carbon Chorus crank had the threaded pedal insert come loose. Things break. When you see lots break in the same way then maybe there is an issue. Otherwise....:rolleyes:

Tim

oldpotatoe
07-04-2020, 06:30 AM
Inherent nature of manufacturing and push to go lighter and lighter. Shimano is far from the only ones.

Gee, only 12 posts before a "how about Campag"??...:eek:

Yup, many break but not due to design flaw, as hollow arm, shimano, welded together(bonded) seem to be.
[QUOTE]Honestly the number of failures of first gen 11sp cranks is almost getting into class action territory.

avalonracing
07-04-2020, 06:43 AM
Damn, that IG page freaks me out. Especially since my riding buddy broke his DA 9000 cranks in a similar fashion. Yes, I'm 50 pounds lighter than he is but breaking a crank arm shouldn't be a worry when you are sprinting.

Davist
07-04-2020, 07:17 AM
the old CNC cranks broke a lot too (cook brothers et al) but they came in purple.. the cold forged ones by the majors were obviously stronger but had stress risers form in the spider portion.

I haven't personally seen shimano break in the wild, but have seen the specialized carbon ones (twice) and had a buddy break the cannondale ones..

From BMX days the welded chrome moly cranks (redline, profile, gt, boss) would break once in a while too..

but agreed, I'd add a 1/4 lb there for a better solution!

slambers3
07-04-2020, 07:54 AM
I’m a campagnolo guy through and through, but I’d like to see how many failures shimano has experienced vs total number of those cranks in the wild before freaking out about risk. Shimano has sold hundreds of thousands of those cranksets, a lot of them have seen very high mileage under very abusive circumstances without failure.

dddd
07-04-2020, 10:23 AM
I’m a campagnolo guy through and through, but I’d like to see how many failures shimano has experienced vs total number of those cranks in the wild before freaking out about risk. Shimano has sold hundreds of thousands of those cranksets, a lot of them have seen very high mileage under very abusive circumstances without failure.

True, the numbers of Shimano hollow/bonded cranks on the road is huge.
Their designs are tested to high standards and I would say they are known for above average quality control.

And, does anyone know how many crank failures, regardless of brand, are initiated by a crash onto the pedal?
I mean, I've seen a Trek carbon frame end up with a broken DT and ST after a solo-rider crash that I witnessed first hand. Unbelieveably that rider actually rode the flopping bike to another location a few hilly miles up the road where his wife was to pick him up!

mcteague
07-04-2020, 04:06 PM
https://www.bikeradar.com/features/shimano-crank-failure/

https://youtu.be/Rj__lexd_BI

Tim

dvs cycles
07-05-2020, 11:22 AM
Has Shimano ever warrantied any of these cases?
Mine is over seven years old but I've gotten more years and miles out of their
older models.

thirdgenbird
07-05-2020, 11:53 AM
Has Shimano ever warrantied any of these cases?
Mine is over seven years old but I've gotten more years and miles out of their
older models.

It sounds like shimano has even replaced them outside of warranty.

Read the comments on the BikeRadar article above. It’s amazing how many of them are people that have experienced this failure. Some of them multiple times. It seems to be more prevalent in hot/humid climates.

bfd
07-05-2020, 12:47 PM
People have been breaking cranks for many many years. Check out pardo for several types of old school cranks and other broken bike parts:

http://pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-001/000.html

Good Luck!

steveoz
07-05-2020, 03:20 PM
Interesting article showing the failure of the crank - I wonder how much "hands on" fitting and assembling goes into those cranks. I use epoxy resins everyday at work (for bonding and another for surface finish). Parts HAVE to be degreased and roughed for bonding and wiped down with alchohol before using the finish coat- even human oils can interfere with proper results . It could be that particular SHimano crank was prepped on Friday and glued on Monday - leaving juuust enough time to allow a layer of surface oxidation or contamination to develop.

Mark McM
07-05-2020, 03:56 PM
Damn, that IG page freaks me out. Especially since my riding buddy broke his DA 9000 cranks in a similar fashion. Yes, I'm 50 pounds lighter than he is but breaking a crank arm shouldn't be a worry when you are sprinting.

If you read the BikeRadar article, you'll see that the crank failure wasn't fully
"spontaneous and out of the blue". There had been signs of the impending failure well before it happened, that the rider had ignored. This is true of many bicycle failures - period inspection of frames and components can detect many impending failure before they happen. If you're worried about a particular component, then you shorten the time between inspections.

Asudef
07-05-2020, 05:53 PM
Interesting, I wonder if this is the source of my friend's crank issues with chainring wobble so bad you can't dial the chain rub out.

Velocipede
07-05-2020, 06:19 PM
Interesting article showing the failure of the crank - I wonder how much "hands on" fitting and assembling goes into those cranks. I use epoxy resins everyday at work (for bonding and another for surface finish). Parts HAVE to be degreased and roughed for bonding and wiped down with alchohol before using the finish coat- even human oils can interfere with proper results . It could be that particular SHimano crank was prepped on Friday and glued on Monday - leaving juuust enough time to allow a layer of surface oxidation or contamination to develop.

These crank arms are put together by hand. The issue isn't the epoxy or cleanliness. They need to redesign the interface and add a locking lip and they would help stop it. But given they barely acknowledge the problem, they will never do this.

oldpotatoe
07-06-2020, 06:12 AM
These crank arms are put together by hand. The issue isn't the epoxy or cleanliness. They need to redesign the interface and add a locking lip and they would help stop it. But given they barely acknowledge the problem, they will never do this.

Pretty interesting. along with DA top pulleys unscrewing and falling out and cartridge bearing headsets that made a whole generation of forks obsolete.

I had an interesting conversation with Wayne Stetina(he still at shimano?) about the above and he says, it's a somewhat cultural thing(not in a derogatory sense) and a mindset of being the BIGGEST dog in the market.
"Cuz they are SHIMANO"...

GregL
07-06-2020, 07:16 AM
Do the Shimano MTB cranks exhibit the same failure modes? Or do they use different construction techniques that make for a more reliable bond? I’m curious since this discussion has focused only on the road cranks.

Greg

Velocipede
07-06-2020, 07:57 AM
Pretty interesting. along with DA top pulleys unscrewing and falling out and cartridge bearing headsets that made a whole generation of forks obsolete.

I had an interesting conversation with Wayne Stetina(he still at shimano?) about the above and he says, it's a somewhat cultural thing(not in a derogatory sense) and a mindset of being the BIGGEST dog in the market.
"Cuz they are SHIMANO"...

I never had or seen the DA pulley issue but heard about it. The headset thing, they did make a nice headset though.

Yeah, Wayne is still there. Oh, it's totally a cultural thing. It's like when I was at American Classic and I'd find a problem, something Taiwan did wrong. You couldn't come right out and say hey, you goofed or screwed up. You still had to give them deference even though they were wrong. In Shimano's case, they are so massive with hands in so much, they REALLY hate to be told they're wrong.

The crank arm thing is real. It's hard to NOT Acknowledge but they blame it on salt air or whatever. And if you don't live near the ocean, then they blame it on salted roads. The excuses are wild when dealing with them. And they could fix it easily. But it would require new dies and would cost a fortune.

Do the Shimano MTB cranks exhibit the same failure modes? Or do they use different construction techniques that make for a more reliable bond? I’m curious since this discussion has focused only on the road cranks.

Greg

I'm sure they have happened. But most mountain bikers would blame it on themselves and their riding and abusive of the bike. And they'd think it's cool. And show it off to their buddies. They are made the same way so it's had to happened.

pdonk
07-06-2020, 02:10 PM
I will add another brand for crank failure - ZIPP. They likely had 25,000 km on them.

Riding along, felt like my pedal spindle was bent. Headed down a hill at 50km an hour, stopped at a stop sign light, then stood up to restart and it snaps off. Was luck was only going 5 km an hour. Glad I did not hit a big bump on the descent.