PDA

View Full Version : Bike flights or UPS directly

buddybikes
07-03-2020, 01:52 PM
Just packaged up my daughters bike, providence to Nashville. Is it better to walk into a UPS store with it, or do it through bike flights? Or???

thx

RobJ
07-03-2020, 01:54 PM
Nether.

Shipbikes.com which uses Fedex. Cheaper than my corporate fedex account. And it’s not UPS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drgonzo
07-03-2020, 01:57 PM
Just packaged up my daughters bike, providence to Nashville. Is it better to walk into a UPS store with it, or do it through bike flights? Or???

thx

Definitely use bike flights. They have negotiated special pricing with UPS so it will be significantly cheaper than if you go through UPS directly. It still will ship with UPS but cheaper :banana:

oldpotatoe
07-03-2020, 01:59 PM

thx

Use BikeFlights. I have zero issues since BF switched to UPS(2 killed wheelsets with FedEx)...but the main reason is if you have a claim, even if it’s obviously their fault and you do everything right, pix, their first response is always, ‘denied’...my 2 claims with BF, I had $ the same day. Plus BF cheaper than UPS(or FedEx) direct.

unterhausen
07-03-2020, 02:11 PM
I priced both, UPS store is going to be triple or more

zmudshark
BikeFlights is cheaper than ShipBikes, and includes extra insurance.

yinzerniner
Use BikeFlights. I have zero issues since BF switched to UPS(2 killed wheelsets with FedEx)...but the main reason is if you have a claim, even if it’s obviously their fault and you do everything right, pix, their first response is always, ‘denied’...my 2 claims with BF, I had $ the same day. Plus BF cheaper than UPS(or FedEx) direct.

Think it all depends on how the local UPS or FedEx infrastructure is for the recipient. For my deliveries the new-ish regular UPS driver has been a nightmare - loses and/or damages roughly 1/4 of the packages I receive, to the point where I don't want to order from Amazon or Backcountry/CompCyc anymore since it's a crapshoot I'll get what I ordered. The local FedEx Ground and Express people are 180 different. But I've heard the exact opposite for others, where they much prefer UPS over FedEx in their area.

I've never had to file an insurance claim with either BikeFlights or Shipbikes, but for shipping snafus (item lost/delivered to wrong address/tracking issues) both have been exemplary in terms of customer service, always responding within a few hours, and reiterating their commitment to either make sure the package is delivered safe and sound or reimbursing the insured amount plus shipping if the item wasn't delivered in the original packed state.

To the OP - Bikeflights will always be cheaper than UPS retail or even business account, and it has the extra benefit of their customer support. If you and the recipient prefer UPS go BF. But at lease IME Shipbikes has always been 10-20% cheaper than Bikeflights, as long as you're OK going with FedEx Ground.

unterhausen
07-03-2020, 02:17 PM
Fedex ground abuses their owner/drivers, so getting poor service is not unexpected. The driver around here looks like he is in a perpetual rage.

thirdgenbird
07-03-2020, 03:05 PM

Yep. My experience is 3-4x more if I go direct.

RobJ
07-03-2020, 03:12 PM

You can pick your additional insurance with shipbikes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

primov8
07-03-2020, 03:13 PM
Since the UPS stores are independently owned, huge markups with prices all over the place from one location to another. If you want to ship via UPS, bring the package over to your local Staples. Since you already have the dimensions and estimated weight, the price you get online from ups.com will be just about what Staples will charge you.

phoenix
07-03-2020, 03:16 PM
Fedex ground abuses their owner/drivers, so getting poor service is not unexpected. The driver around here looks like he is in a perpetual rage.Sounds like he just needs to be introduced to bicycles! :banana:

phoenix
07-03-2020, 03:22 PM
As much as I loathe UPS, I still use, and recommend Bikeflights. The main reason is that they are on it with any sort of claim due to the negligence of the shipper.

Anytime I receive a bike/wheel box that shows visible damage, I always record the opening of the box on my phone in the event that the contents are damaged. I also shoot video of the box I packed up prior to dropping off at UPS or FedEx, for obvious reasons.

Just my $0.02

godfrey1112000
07-03-2020, 05:20 PM

All day long

But can you ship a box labeled bike parts
And put other items in it line a 30 pound binding machine

Pinned
07-03-2020, 06:50 PM

BikeFlights has a nicer website and UPS tends to be about 1 business day quicker than FedEx for many places with Ground but I generally choose ShipBikes as it's a significant cost savings (usually 20-30% within the US). When they were both using FedEx I think BikeFlights might have been a touch less, but now that BikeFlights is using UPS it's costlier.

zmudshark
07-03-2020, 06:56 PM
There was a window when ship bikes was cheaper than bike flights. That window has closed. I have shipped multiple things through bike flights in the last few months. They have the best prices by far. I would prefer UPS over any other carrier. FedEx can’t find enough people to work for them, USPS is a mess lately.

rolandtiangco
07-03-2020, 07:59 PM
FWIW, I just shipped a frameset and wheelset from Austin to NYC via Bikeflights and it was the cheapest and fastest option with the added insurance I opted for. I've had good/bad luck with both fedex and UPS, so IMO its a toss up.

denvervig
07-04-2020, 06:29 AM
Also just reluctantly sold a De Rosa frame & fork only that was too big for me (66 cm) which needed a large box. Cost was $44 + $8 insurance w/Fedex. Dropped it off Monday and the buyer received it Thursday which I thought was reasonable

smontanaro
07-04-2020, 08:52 AM

Not always. I think it pays to get quotes from both before shipping.

zmudshark
07-04-2020, 10:21 AM
Not always. I think it pays to get quotes from both before shipping.Agreed, sort of. The last few times I have checked, it was BikeFlights by a considerable margin.

thedude
07-04-2020, 10:57 AM
I dropped BikeFlights once they switched to UPS and now use ShipBikes(FedEx) and have had zero issues. They’re both the cheapest route for shipping bikes, framesets and wheels. The BikeFlights platform is more user friendly however I just can’t stand UPS and their negligence when handling boxes. For all other parts I only use USPS flat rate.

wgp
08-15-2020, 10:06 PM
Just used BikeFlights today for the second time shipping a frame I had sold on here to the buyer. BikeFlights total with insurance was $82 versus my local We Pack It UPS store, which was going to be $170.

Easy call for me, though when I shipped a frame a year ago it was only $50.

Velocipede
08-15-2020, 11:13 PM
Since the UPS stores are independently owned, huge markups with prices all over the place from one location to another. If you want to ship via UPS, bring the package over to your local Staples. Since you already have the dimensions and estimated weight, the price you get online from ups.com will be just about what Staples will charge you.

Since UPS stores are independently owned, if there is a problem, they won't cover it. I had to drop off something for a shop and was using BikeFlights(UPS). There was 1 person working the counter, it was a busy time and there were 6 people waiting. She asked if I had a prepaid label, I said yes. She took the box from me and set it behind the counter. And then I left.

I did not get a drop-off receipt. And because of that, when the box didn't start moving and I questioned where it was, the UPS Store asked for the receipt. I told them, the person who I always worked with there that she took it and they told me without the receipt I was out of luck.

I reached out to UPS directly, to BikeFlights, to the outside rep for UPS. And the answer was, since I didn't have a receipt, out of luck. They even told me if I went to a UPS depot, different story. But since the "UPS Stores" are independent, they can't do anything.

blakcloud
08-16-2020, 03:28 AM
This won't help the OP but in my case UPS was actually half the price of Bike Flights. This is the not the usual circumstances, a frame in Niagara Falls New York shipped to Toronto Canada. Normally I would drive but the borders have been closed for months with no end in sight and the frame has been sitting their since May 8th.

Repaired frame so no duty (plus American made so Free Trade) and no taxes. Bike Flights wanted close to a $100 more for shipping that included duties and fees. When I inquired on how they could charge duty on a bike that has no duty, they responded that was their policy to collect duty which makes no sense because there is no duties in this case. So I went with UPS and the frame is now n my hands.

It has been my experience that Bike Flights is not really set up for International shipping. I have successfully used them for shipping in the US and would certainly use them again because for one that are just plain cheaper than UPS and FedEX. Great service. As for FedEX and UPS with Ship Bikes or Bike Flights, to me it's pick your poison. I have heard horror stories from both camps so it's a wash or crap shoot.

oldpotatoe
08-16-2020, 06:19 AM

thx

Bike Flights is cheaper than Ups direct and you can schedule a pickup($7)..As for ANOTHER UPS vs FEDEX 'discussion'....FedEx killed 2 wheelsets I sent(via BikeFlights), refused the claim in spite of it being OBVIOUS they gooned up the boxes..UPS has been excellent(about 50 shipments and counting)..

Oopps, mini-zombie thread...asked and answered..

bikinchris
08-16-2020, 07:54 PM
For shipping bikes, Bikeflights is the cheapest. For shipping other smaller boxes, it's not.

bobdenver1961
08-16-2020, 09:23 PM
I think it depends on where the bike is going. I usually check Bike Flights and Ship Bikes. In my experience Ship Bikes has had the better rates for the past half dozen things I've shipped.

buddybikes
08-17-2020, 07:23 AM
Shipbikes was much cheaper in end (RI to Nashville), dropped off Tues delivered to house Thurs in perfect shape.

Walked daughter through build on zoom, I was proud of her.

Pack things well, can't 100% rely on anyone.

fkelly
08-19-2020, 09:51 AM
I had a delay in a bike delivery from Albany NY to San Clemente last January (2020). Using Bikeflights and UPS. Long and short of it, UPS screwed up a couple of times in the process. Just human error and incompetence and not giving a damned.

Bikeflights customer service worked with me and was extremely responsive. There was nothing they could do to get the bike there on time but they wound up refunding my whole shipment fee. If I had been using UPS alone I would have been stuck for the fee.

In short, Bikeflights customer service is responsive and that's worth it's weight in gold these days.

DHallerman
08-19-2020, 11:38 AM

thx

Both work. That is, as others say, buy shipping from Bike Flights, always cheaper. But then, I’ve brought my sealed and labeled boxes to the local UPS Store, where they gladly take it. (I think the stores get a percentage of all parcels, even if they didn’t sell the shipping.)

Or any other UPS drop-off, like Staples. I like using the actual UPS Store because it seems packages get into the system a bit more quickly.

DHallerman
08-19-2020, 11:40 AM
There was a window when ship bikes was cheaper than bike flights. That window has closed. I have shipped multiple things through bike flights in the last few months. They have the best prices by far. I would prefer UPS over any other carrier. FedEx can’t find enough people to work for them, USPS is a mess lately.

We’ve become friends with our UPS driver, Mario. He regularly talks about how their union protects him. Things like unwanted overtime.

jody_husky
10-11-2022, 07:09 AM
does anyone have experience with send bike (https://sendbike.com/)? seems to be a new competitor for bikeflights.

a friend of mine managed to get a full rivendell clem from the US to the UK for less than $200 without being charged any tax or duty. they may have changed their website as i'm unable to get anything as low even for a bare frame now.

Turkle
10-11-2022, 07:38 AM
We’ve become friends with our UPS driver, Mario. He regularly talks about how their union protects him. Things like unwanted overtime.

My stepfather drives double and triple semis for UPS. It's the gold standard of trucking jobs, and his union makes sure both he and my family are taken care of. When you buy UPS you are supporting the best jobs in the industry, and in my experience they provide customer service to match.

zmudshark
10-11-2022, 01:44 PM
Try Pirateship.com

I find their UPS rates amazingly low. They are owned by Pitney-Bowes, I think.

NHAero
10-11-2022, 06:01 PM
This is totally anecdotal. We were locking our bikes last week in Asheville, and a young guy came up and told us that he and a buddy had locked their bikes to the same light pole recently and came back and found someone had added ANOTHER lock, and they had to call the FD to cut that off. I mentioned to him that I'd shipped my bike down to Asheville, and he said he drove for UPS and he would NEVER ship a bike via UPS :)

paddy_boy
10-11-2022, 08:53 PM
I’ve never shipped a bike before but I used to work at UPS - cheapest way to ship with them (especially since u already boxed up the bike) is to take it to the nearest UPS service center & go to the customer counter. Any local driver can tell u where the nearest UPS customer counter is - usually open M-F business hours. The people who work there are usually very knowledgeable & helpful & u cut out the middleman at the UPS store, so quite a bit cheaper.

NHAero
10-11-2022, 09:03 PM
I’ve never shipped a bike before but I used to work at UPS - cheapest way to ship with them (especially since u already boxed up the bike) is to take it to the nearest UPS service center & go to the customer counter. Any local driver can tell u where the nearest UPS customer counter is - usually open M-F business hours. The people who work there are usually very knowledgeable & helpful & u cut out the middleman at the UPS store, so quite a bit cheaper.

I'm fairly sure that my BikeFlights instructions specifically says to drop the package at an actual UPS Service Center, not a UPS Store.

charliedid
10-11-2022, 09:04 PM
I use/work with BikeFlights all the time and I am not under the impression that going direct to UPS store saves you any $. In fact quite the opposite and I would MUCH rather deal with BikeFlights customer service should something go sideways than UPS all day long.

Elefantino
10-11-2022, 09:33 PM
Don't cheap out on the insurance. Full value, plus shipping costs. Otherwise when UPS drops your prized Merckx Corsa Extra on its way to Santa Barbara and bends the frame, you'll be out of luck.

Or so I hear.

kppolich
10-11-2022, 09:47 PM
www.PayPal.com/shipnow (http://www.paypal.com/shipnow) will give you all the rates to compare across all 3 major carriers. Prices better than bikeflights too in my experience.

oldpotatoe
10-12-2022, 07:04 AM

thx

Get a BikeFights acct, then walk it to the UPS store. Save some $.
Shipbikes.com which uses Fedex. Cheaper than my corporate fedex account. And it’s not UPS

I've had BF for a long time..back when it used FedEx..and the only 2 damage shipment and claims I had were when BF used FedEx...and for the first, I got the auto-DENIED...then talked to BF and got a reimbursement w/i about 2 hours after I sent over pictures.

GAD ZOOKS..Zombie thread..but still, like BF.

Jeff N.
10-12-2022, 07:13 AM
Nether.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkUPS sucks on many levels. FedEx all the way. Safer shipping, better tracking, and less expensive.

NHAero
10-12-2022, 10:14 AM
Just in case some here haven't tried to use Shipbikes recently:

"Sorry for the inconvenience. We have paused our service while we transition our system over to our UPS partner.

High-fuel costs and peak surcharges are preventing us from shipping your bicycles at our usually greatly discounted rates. At this time, Shipbikes.com will only be selling our boxes online."

kppolich
10-12-2022, 10:29 AM
I'll say it again because it's that easy:
http://www.paypal.com/shipnow
-Supports copy/paste of address
-Gives you all the rates from all the carriers to think about
-30 seconds from payment received to label printing if the item is purchased via regular PayPal.

old fat man
10-12-2022, 11:38 AM
I'll say it again because it's that easy:
http://www.paypal.com/shipnow
-Supports copy/paste of address
-Gives you all the rates from all the carriers to think about
-30 seconds from payment received to label printing if the item is purchased via regular PayPal.

I hate the idea of supporting PayPal.

charliedid
10-12-2022, 12:03 PM
I think Fedex is going through some tough times and changes with the global market demand shrinking, stocks are taking a beating. likely why ship bikes is going to UPS.

I'm no expert

zmudshark
10-12-2022, 12:27 PM
UPS sucks on many levels. FedEx all the way. Safer shipping, better tracking, and less expensive.

Opposite of my experiences, but...