PDA

View Full Version : GXP to Campy BB

iphands
07-03-2020, 11:57 AM
Hi folks,

Campy guy with a GXP SRAM Red 22 crankset in the mail.
Looking at all the BB options and Im confused.

Looks like the common path is either SRAM GXP BB or Hope/CK 24mm with some adapter. Seems like folks stopped making GXP specific and want to steer you down the adapter route... eh?

Is there some adapter for Campy UT bbs?

Thanks.

tuscanyswe
07-03-2020, 12:01 PM
Im not sure i follow but why would u not want a regular sram gxp bottom bracket for your sram crankset? Why involve campy in this? I mean im a big of a campy fan as they come but there is no logic in choosing a campy bottom bracket for a sram crankset even if one was available (it is not).

iphands
07-03-2020, 12:03 PM
Im not sure i follow but why would u not want a regular sram gxp bottom bracket for your sram crankset? Why involve campy in this?

Ahh just because I have campy bbs already. One is already on the frame I am building up even.

If there was some cheapo GXP -> UT adapter I'd just keep the campy on the bike.

jtakeda
07-03-2020, 12:04 PM
Use the bb that matches your crank.

Mark McM
07-03-2020, 12:18 PM
Use the bb that matches your crank.

Or rather, one that matches your crank and your frame (press fit? threaded?)

Making an adapter to fit a GXP crank into a Ultra-Torque bottom bracket cups is a little tricky. On GXP cranks, the bearings are in the cups, and on Ultra-Torque cranks, the bearings are on the spindle. So when start with a GXP crank and Ultra-Torque cups, you don't have any bearings, and any kind of adapter would need to include the bearings.

And why do you say that people stopped making GXP specific BBs? I've seen plenty of ads for threaded GXP bottom brackets, and 3rd parties make GXP bottom brackets to fit a variety of BB shell types. For example Wheels Manufacturing (https://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets.html?crank_spindle_dia=7120) makes GXP BBs for T47, PF30A, BB30 BB386, etc.

unterhausen
07-03-2020, 12:33 PM
SRAM GXP are considerably more $ than they are worth. Next time I need a bb for a GXP crank, I'm going to get a Wheels MFG bb. Much better design. SRAM relies on a shim that wears out.

I know this doesn't answer the OP's question, sorry

slambers3
07-03-2020, 03:29 PM
No such adapter exists.

iphands
07-04-2020, 05:47 AM
And why do you say that people stopped making GXP specific BBs? I've seen plenty of ads for threaded GXP bottom brackets, and 3rd parties make GXP bottom brackets to fit a variety of BB shell types. For example Wheels Manufacturing (https://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets.html?crank_spindle_dia=7120) makes GXP BBs for T47, PF30A, BB30 BB386, etc.

Sorry that was a very general statement.
I was looking at Chris King hubs and Hope hubs...
As best I can tell they don't sell a GXP specific part anymore and instead they sell a GXP adapter and I think they are steering people to by the 24/24 adapter or something I might be wrong though.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

jc031699
07-04-2020, 06:15 AM
You can also use a Shimano 24mm BB I believe, with a 24 to 22mm reducer shim on the narrower side.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rusty Luggs
07-04-2020, 06:54 AM
Sorry that was a very general statement.
I was looking at Chris King hubs and Hope hubs...
As best I can tell they don't sell a GXP specific part anymore and instead they sell a GXP adapter and I think they are steering people to by the 24/24 adapter or something I might be wrong though.

I believe Chris King always just offered a 24/24mm BB and accommodated 24/22 mm with an adapter sleeve. As I recall, they at one time marketed a 24/24mm as a 24/22mm GXP by including the sleeve/adapter components, now it looks like they sell required parts to accommodate GXP as an separate adapter kit.

oldpotatoe
07-04-2020, 08:37 AM
Ahh just because I have campy bbs already. One is already on the frame I am building up even.

If there was some cheapo GXP -> UT adapter I'd just keep the campy on the bike.

No, Campag the bearings are on the crank, sram, in the cups..gonna need new BB cups, etc..why not keep the Campag crank tho?