PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't Campy make a quick link?

drgonzo
07-02-2020, 04:41 PM
I'm a big fan of the Connex Quick Link and have been using it for years on my 10sp chain. I'm wondering why Campagnolo doesn't just make their own? :confused:

As an aside, does anyone know if there's a Connex Quick Link for the new Campy 12sp chains?

saab2000
07-02-2020, 05:32 PM
They haven’t been able to decide on colors for the Centaur, Potenza, Chorus, Record and Super Record versions of the quick link. I expect the Record version to be carbon and Super Record to have three slotted cutouts in the link.

Personally I am hoping for a high polished Athena version.

Dave
07-02-2020, 05:52 PM
The Wipperman 12 chain and connex link seem to be vaporware - it's on their website, but I can't find any for sale.

A SRAM Eagle 12 quick link fits the Campy 12 chain nicely.

zmudshark
07-02-2020, 06:14 PM
Why doesn't Campy make a quick link?

$10 quick link vs a $225 chain tool?

You tell me.

r_mutt
07-02-2020, 06:25 PM

You tell me.

that's the cynical explanation- you beat me to it. I wonder if that is really the explanation though because for years one could use a SRAM, Wipperman, or Shimano version with no big issues.

zmudshark
07-02-2020, 06:29 PM
that's the cynical explanation- you beat me to it. I wonder if that is really the explanation though because for years one could use a SRAM, Wipperman, or Shimano version with no big issues.

I doubt Campagnolo could make a truly original 12s quick link and make a profit, even in their non Italian factories. There are plenty of alternatives that work fine at reasonable prices. Why bother?

thwart
07-02-2020, 06:39 PM

You tell me.

Exactly. Why undercut your own business.

It's not cynical... they haven't endorsed using quick links from other component makers, at least AFAIK.

That said, I use 'em. Although I have owned a 10 spd Campy chain tool in the past, a nicely engineered and high quality tool.

old_fat_and_slow
07-02-2020, 07:50 PM
I'm pretty sure if you did the testing, a properly peened Campy factory link would be stronger than a third-party masterlink. I'm sure Campy is being "purist" about it, and opting for the most structurally robust option. Whether you actually "need" that extra robustness is open for discussion. In most cases, probably not.

ultraman6970
07-02-2020, 08:37 PM
Maybe the real reason is nothing else than "making to buy a new chain more often?"

fogrider
07-02-2020, 09:04 PM
Campy would have to pay fees for use since theres a patent on it.

Blue Jays
07-02-2020, 10:44 PM
My chains are cleaned and lubricated on-bicycle then replaced (early) when worn.
My sense is that provides quiet, predictable, and durable operation of the chain.
That said, my preference is to not use a quick-link...except in an emergency.

Coda1
07-02-2020, 11:08 PM
Campy would have to pay fees for use since theres a patent on it.

The patent would have expired long ago.

merlincustom1
07-03-2020, 04:25 AM
Must be a slow day.

mcteague
07-03-2020, 05:56 AM
I've had quick links fail and, on the Record 12s, kept getting occasional clicking noise. I ended up paying a shop $10 to peen it properly; dead silent after that. Still have the link on my 11s Chorus setup. YMMV.

Tim

oldpotatoe
07-03-2020, 05:58 AM
I'm pretty sure if you did the testing, a properly peened Campy factory link would be stronger than a third-party masterlink. I'm sure Campy is being "purist" about it, and opting for the most structurally robust option. Whether you actually "need" that extra robustness is open for discussion. In most cases, probably not. (Yes, I'm a structural engineer, yes I've worked in the aerospace industry for multiple decades. No I don't have any data to support my contention.)

Agree..their pin system works really well and I'll bet they know there are quick links out there and even(horrors) are used on their chains.

As for a business decision to sell tools rather than quick links...righto sparky, that's it(nope)..

Valentino was once asked why Campag didn't make their cogsets shimano compatible..well, "because the ones we make are a full range and work really well".

Campagnolo had a ;quick link' way before any others, called Permalink with a rather bulky tool to install. They didn't fail but everyone 'clicked'.

This is like the other thread about, 'why doesn't Campag make tools"..and pages as to why Campag does or doesn't do this or that.

How long was it before shimano made a 'quick link'?? How about a BB30 BB? How many BB30 cranks does shimano make now?

So, I think Campag has a system that works well, that they can rely on and is applicable to 12s and the tolerances required for this really thin chain...

NoMoreParagon
07-03-2020, 02:17 PM
Many things about Campy unfortunately are utter non sense. I stopped asking myself why Campagnolo is taking certain actions couple of years ago.
Lack of 1x, 12sp EPS only at Super Record level, forcing ppl to use 160mm rotors front , deforming chain pin after insertion and so and so on.
Their EPS still is the best electronic system in the market however the range of applications for it are very tiny given where consumers’ preference are heading.
Their mechanical gruppos are very good only until you try a front shift with a mechanical Dura Ace. Hate to say but the FD shifting on current mechanical Shimano DA is unreal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave
07-03-2020, 04:12 PM
Don't need electronic, discs or 1x. I'm in heaven with the new Chorus 12. Front shifting is great and so is the rear. The new 48/32 and 11-34 meet all of my needs for the mountains.

Whenever a big change occurs, I figure out how to deal with the chain joining immediately. With 11 speed, I got by for 2 years, using wipperman 10 links. With 12 speed, the SRAM eagle 12 link fits good enough, but I've also used the SRAM AXS 12 chain and quick link with it. The AXS link is too narrow for a Campy 12 chain.

Bob Ross
07-03-2020, 06:39 PM
Can't speak for 12-speed, but for the past 4+ years I've been using KMC chains on my 11-speed Campy Record-equipped bike, and I can't imagine why I would ever want to use a different chain. Performance has been identical to the Record chain that came on the bike, only now I get KMC's quicklink doohickie.

bikinchris
07-03-2020, 07:22 PM
The patent would have expired long ago.

Which is exactly the reason Shimano suddenly started making quick links after telling people for decades that they were a terrible idea.
(Actually, they only said that their pin was superior, which is stupid)

Dave
07-03-2020, 08:32 PM
KMC may make some expensive models that last, but the x11.93 elongated faster than any chain I've ever owned. No comparison to a Campy chain.

picstloup
07-04-2020, 04:49 AM
Can't speak for 12-speed, but for the past 4+ years I've been using KMC chains on my 11-speed Campy Record-equipped bike, and I can't imagine why I would ever want to use a different chain. Performance has been identical to the Record chain that came on the bike, only now I get KMC's quicklink doohickie.

I've been doing something similar with 8 speed and 10 speed chorus...using sram chains that work fine, with quick links, never had a problem...

about to start researching what's available for 11/12 speed potenza or chorus...about to build a new bike...

that campy chain tool may be great, but dang, it's expensive...

Kyle h
07-04-2020, 05:26 AM
Their mechanical gruppos are very good only until you try a front shift with a mechanical Dura Ace. Hate to say but the FD shifting on current mechanical Shimano DA is unreal.

This was one reason I decided to skip over C12 when building my Battaglin. The FD is pretty similar to DA9000 in function and while DA9000 was nice, it’s nowhere near as nice as 9100 which has such better front shifting thanks to the new FD. Seemed silly to pay a premium for outdated tech.

oldpotatoe
07-04-2020, 06:44 AM
Many things about Campy unfortunately are utter non sense. I stopped asking myself why Campagnolo is taking certain actions couple of years ago.
Lack of 1x, 12sp EPS only at Super Record level, forcing ppl to use 160mm rotors front , deforming chain pin after insertion and so and so on.
Their EPS still is the best electronic system in the market however the range of applications for it are very tiny given where consumers’ preference are heading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Must be the day..how long did shimano have Di2 ONLY with DA? I'll be willing to bet my Campag peanut butter wrench your'll see Record EPS 12s.

'Where the customer's preference is heading"..electronic with all 3 makers is still a road oriented group. DA biggest cogset? 30t. GROAD, altho it makes a lot of noise, is still a small part of the market.

160mm front, well, most I've seen(granted, from afar) opt for a 160mm front rotor for 'groad' bikes.

'Peening' a pn isn't 'deforming' a pin but a way to make the chain link stronger..yes, be nice to have a 12s Campag quicklink but..it's a chainlink

OBTW-1by 13s coming soon, from Campag....and DA front mechanical shifting is nice, but somewhat 'vague', IMHO..feels like first gen Campag 11s soft click system found on Centaur and Veloce...AND, to really get great DA front shifting, you had to wait for 9100...

Elefantino
07-04-2020, 06:46 AM

Me too. Loves me some KMC chains.

Velocipede
07-05-2020, 06:25 PM
Campy has tested the quick links out there and they've found them to not be as durable and reliable as the master pin system. So they don't want to use them. Has nothing to do with a patent. They've bought the use of patents in the past. Look pedals, chains, cassettes, slant parallelograms and index shifting. They just gave money to Shimano for the use of the centerlock design. They are paying Magura for brakes and rotors right now. Campagnolo will pay for it if it's the best system available. They don't think a quick link is. It's that simple.

Black Dog
07-05-2020, 06:54 PM
I've been doing something similar with 8 speed and 10 speed chorus...using sram chains that work fine, with quick links, never had a problem...

about to start researching what's available for 11/12 speed potenza or chorus...about to build a new bike...

that campy chain tool may be great, but dang, it's expensive...

Park and other tool makers make a chain tool that peens campy chains and are not as expensive. Seriously, it is not an issue outside of peoples heads. :rolleyes:

drgonzo
07-05-2020, 07:31 PM
Campy has tested the quick links out there and they've found them to not be as durable and reliable as the master pin system. So they don't want to use them. Has nothing to do with a patent. They've bought the use of patents in the past. Look pedals, chains, cassettes, slant parallelograms and index shifting. They just gave money to Shimano for the use of the centerlock design. They are paying Magura for brakes and rotors right now. Campagnolo will pay for it if it's the best system available. They don't think a quick link is. It's that simple.

Thanks for that, makes sense. I'm constantly fiddling with my bike set up so having a quick link is a huge plus. Any idea when/if Connex will put out a 12s compatible quick link? I'm partial to Connex but will use KMC if that's the only option.

Velocipede
07-05-2020, 08:18 PM
Thanks for that, makes sense. I'm constantly fiddling with my bike set up so having a quick link is a huge plus. Any idea when/if Connex will put out a 12s compatible quick link? I'm partial to Connex but will use KMC if that's the only option.

No worries. I've spoken with them many times about it. They don't like to tell people NOT to use them. But they know people do use them. So they recommend people use the Master Pins. It's not that big a deal honestly. It take a bit more time but it's a whatever. That said, Yes, I have and do use quick links with Campy chains. I especially use them on show bikes if the bikes are coming home and being stripped down or something. Just makes life easier.

As for the Connex 12 quick link, I've seen 12 speed chains in the works. Nothing out for sale yet though. Just use KMC ones for the time being.

drgonzo
07-05-2020, 09:06 PM
No worries. I've spoken with them many times about it. They don't like to tell people NOT to use them. But they know people do use them. So they recommend people use the Master Pins. It's not that big a deal honestly. It take a bit more time but it's a whatever. That said, Yes, I have and do use quick links with Campy chains. I especially use them on show bikes if the bikes are coming home and being stripped down or something. Just makes life easier.

As for the Connex 12 quick link, I've seen 12 speed chains in the works. Nothing out for sale yet though. Just use KMC ones for the time being.

Yep, will do. Thanks again, appreciate the knowledge and advice!

Velocipede
07-05-2020, 09:18 PM
I kind of wish they'd do one just so it's easier. But they've done the testing and say they aren't as strong. So it is what it is I guess. Plenty of other people make them.

Dave
07-06-2020, 07:32 AM
The KMC 12 speed link is not the best choice. It's wider than the SRAM eagle 12.

Likewise, KMC 12 chains are wider and fit mtb 12 speed drivetrains best.

Lionel
07-06-2020, 07:56 AM
Buy the tool, it works great and looks good.

bikinchris
07-06-2020, 06:45 PM
I kind of wish they'd do one just so it's easier. But they've done the testing and say they aren't as strong. So it is what it is I guess. Plenty of other people make them.

Interesting. I have never seen a properly used quick link fail. They are not very hard to use. Replacement pins require skill to use and I have seen experienced mechanics have pins fail.

picstloup
07-07-2020, 03:47 AM
Park and other tool makers make a chain tool that peens campy chains and are not as expensive. Seriously, it is not an issue outside of peoples heads. :rolleyes:

Yes, you're right, i discovered the Park CT-4.3 master chain link tool 'with peening anvi' yesterday. Between 60 - 70 euros here in France. I'm going to order one today.

Still. That doesn't make the campy chain tool any less expensive.

Choice is good !

mcteague
07-07-2020, 06:25 AM
Yes, you're right, i discovered the Park CT-4.3 master chain link tool 'with peening anvi' yesterday. Between 60 - 70 euros here in France. I'm going to order one today.

Still. That doesn't make the campy chain tool any less expensive.

Choice is good !

Do a search on the Park tool, the pins are very soft. Sure you can replace them after they snap but with super thing chains you can damage a link if the peening pin bends while trying to use it. Ask me how I know....:eek:

Tim