PDA

View Full Version : Silly seat post clamp question

Louis
01-27-2007, 10:08 PM
How does one orient the darn things? (We're not talking about composite frames or seatposts here, metal all around.)

A while back I bought my first "rotating nut" type clamps - see pic below. In the past for "non-rotating nut" clamps I've just aligned the slot in the clamp with the slot in the seat tube. Note, however, that this clamp had a little white triangle/arrow pointing from the center of the nut toward the center of the seatpost. It occured to me that they might have put that as a sign that the nut / arrow should line up with the slot in the seatpost, causing the slot in the clamp to be at 5 o'clock instead of 6 o'clock, where the seat tube slot is. (when viewed from the back of the bike)

Any thoughts? Thanks

Louis

dave thompson
01-27-2007, 10:32 PM
How does one orient the darn things? (We're not talking about composite frames or seatposts here, metal all around.)

A while back I bought my first "rotating nut" type clamps - see pic below. In the past for "non-rotating nut" clamps I've just aligned the slot in the clamp with the slot in the seat tube. Note, however, that this clamp had a little white triangle/arrow pointing from the center of the nut toward the center of the seatpost. It occured to me that they might have put that as a sign that the nut / arrow should line up with the slot in the seatpost, causing the slot in the clamp to be at 5 o'clock instead of 6 o'clock, where the seat tube slot is. (when viewed from the back of the bike)

Any thoughts? Thanks

Louis
Don't you paint enough airplanes to understand where the triangle thingy goes? Pointed north, at the slot, unless you have an all metal bike, in which case it can point anywhere.

Louis
01-27-2007, 10:36 PM
Thanks Dave - maybe I've been sniffing too much paint :p :p :p

dave thompson
01-27-2007, 10:55 PM

Louis
01-27-2007, 11:28 PM
Hey, my clamp's gone ... someone stole it. Why you dirty rotten scoundrel :butt:

stevep
01-28-2007, 06:15 AM
sachs told me that you can only ride the bike in the direction the little arrow points...and then you have to call someone to pick you up and give you a ride home or the frame will not be warranteed.
just what he said, not sure if its true.