PDA

View Full Version : Straight fork on bike with 44mm head tube designed for tapered?

blantonator
07-02-2020, 11:02 AM
How much will i screw up the geometry or drop the bottom bracket putting a Ritchey Adventure Fork (with triple bottle mounts) on a frame design for a tapered fork and an external lower headset? Moving to an integrated headset will likely drop the fork 14-17mm? Am I asking for problems?

rheosibal
07-02-2020, 11:11 AM
I've gone the other way without trouble (Frame with 44mm HT designed for zero stack/straight steerer changed to +14 lower stack (Inset 7) / 1.5 steerer).

I think you'll be fine, have you checked what the A-C measurements are for both forks? Are you sure the Ritchey one is the same/shorter? If it's longer, it could make up the difference.

If they are the same and you are worried about it, you could go with the Wolftooth headset extender for the lower cups. I think you're limited to +20mm only though.

rheosibal
07-02-2020, 11:13 AM
I should also add, that you're within the general range of adjustability. I think the rule of thumb is to increase/decrease within 20mm or else you'll affect the HTA and BB drop to a point where you could recognize the difference.

prototoast
07-02-2020, 11:14 AM
I wouldn't do it. It will increase your head and seat angles by close to a degree, making the bike longer, lower, and with less trail. If you like your bike the way it is now, you'll probably like it less with the fork swap.

You can play around with the exact numbers for your bike here: https://bikegeo.muha.cc/

yinzerniner
07-02-2020, 12:04 PM
How much will i screw up the geometry or drop the bottom bracket putting a Ritchey Adventure Fork (with triple bottle mounts) on a frame design for a tapered fork and an external lower headset? Moving to an integrated headset will likely drop the fork 14-17mm? Am I asking for problems?

Depends on the geo of the old vs new fork.

Just going by CK figures, going from an external to internal lower is a 10mm difference, but the new fork might have a 10mm longer AtoC, or even different rake figures which could make the trail effectively the same. Or you could change tire size to keep trail differences to a minimum.

Need more detail on the current setup, as the actual numbers will determine how much of a change the new fork would be.

unterhausen
07-02-2020, 12:27 PM
can't you go with an external headset?

How different are the A-C (axle crown) measurements of the two forks?

Mark McM
07-02-2020, 02:07 PM

If you using the type of headset the frame was designed for, the only dimension that really matters is the Axle-to-Crown distance of the new fork - if the AC distance is the same as the old fork, then there will be no change in frame geometry (BB height, frame angles, etc.). You'll also have to consider the differences in fork offset as well, where you may want to match the original fork, or you may want a slightly different offset, depending on your particular preferences.

ColonelJLloyd
07-02-2020, 03:40 PM
can't you go with an external headset?

How different are the A-C (axle crown) measurements of the two forks?

+1

If you're already using an external cup headset with a comparable A-C fork you should stick with that.

The next hurdle you will approach is how to deal with the integrated crown race on the Adventure fork if you're not already using a Ritchey headset. I'm using the Ritchey Gravel fork on my bike and decided to swap the CC110 I was using for a Ritchey WCS to make it easy on myself.

A friend of mine is using this Adventure fork on a bike with a 44mm head tube and here is the combo he is using.

HS: Cane Creek 110 ZS44/28.6 / ZS44/30 Short Cover Headset
Lower bearing: Procraft FIU Headset Lower Part - IS41/30 (https://www.bike24.com/p2320646.html?q=Procraft%20FIU%20Headset%20Lower%2 0Part%20-%20IS41/30)

Heisenberg
07-02-2020, 05:27 PM
+1

If you're already using an external cup headset with a comparable A-C fork you should stick with that.

The next hurdle you will approach is how to deal with the integrated crown race on the Adventure fork if you're not already using a Ritchey headset. I'm using the Ritchey Gravel fork on my bike and decided to swap the CC110 I was using for a Ritchey WCS to make it easy on myself.

A friend of mine is using this Adventure fork on a bike with a 44mm head tube and here is the combo he is using.

HS: Cane Creek 110 ZS44/28.6 / ZS44/30 Short Cover Headset
Lower bearing: Procraft FIU Headset Lower Part - IS41/30 (https://www.bike24.com/p2320646.html?q=Procraft%20FIU%20Headset%20Lower%2 0Part%20-%20IS41/30)

funfacts, these headsets aren't actually compatible with ritchey's (dumb) campag bearing pitch integrated crown race. using them will subject the bearing and carbon steerer itself to stresses they aren't designed for, aka, bearing failure/worst case steerer failure.

BUUUUT

the new adv fork has a non-integrated race! i think! win! use whatevs you want.

as a complete aside, just because you're an industry elder statesperson, you're not an industrial engineer. *paging c260*

prototoast
07-02-2020, 05:32 PM

According to Ritchey's website, the fork has an integrated 45 degree crown race. This would preclude using something like the Chris king devolution baseplate to make it fit with an EC44 headset.

https://us.ritcheylogic.com/us_en/wcs-carbon-adventure-fork

ColonelJLloyd
07-02-2020, 07:43 PM
funfacts, these headsets aren't actually compatible with ritchey's (dumb) campag bearing pitch integrated crown race. using them will subject the bearing and carbon steerer itself to stresses they aren't designed for, aka, bearing failure/worst case steerer failure.

BUUUUT

as a complete aside, just because you're an industry elder statesperson, you're not an industrial engineer. *paging c260*

Pardon me. I don't claim to be an industry vet, engineer, or expert of any kind. What I attempted, though, was to try to relay some useful information that I myself had a hell of a time finding when I was looking to use my own Ritchey fork (different model, the old Outback fork) with a Cane Creek 110 EC headset. Further, I shared relevant information, albeit second-hand, from a close friend who is successfully using the fork in question (Ritchey Adventure, the new Outback fork) on a frame with a 44mm head tube. But, I was incorrect that he's using an EC lower. He's using a ZS lower (the one I listed above). Not certain of the parts needed to use this Ritchey fork and external cup lower with a 44mm HT, but I wouldn't rule it out. Apologies for adding confusion or giving false hope.

At least the specific fork my friend has does use the same integrated carbon bearing race that my WCS Gravel and Road forks do.

rheosibal
07-02-2020, 08:41 PM
Lol I think he was referencing the dumb c260 stem, not you bud

ColonelJLloyd
07-02-2020, 08:48 PM
Lol I think he was referencing the dumb c260 stem, not you bud

Haha. With your help I put it together and now my feelings are less hurt. But, I do feel for a certain California cat with hair under his nose.