PDA

View Full Version : Photochromic Sunglasses

TunaAndBikes
07-02-2020, 07:51 AM
Looking into photochromic for cycling because i'm tired of either being in the dark or having to take off my eyeglasses when i'm in the forest or if there's a few showers.
Any of you have reccomendations? I'm going towards the Bollé shifter/Lightshifter but they aren't super available in North America

Likes2ridefar
07-02-2020, 07:56 AM
The best lenses I’ve used that change are from julbo. I absolutely love their camel lens for bright to extreme bright. Those wouldn’t work for your needs as they dip to cat4 but they have others. I was considering the speed model recently since my jawbreakers are needing replacement.

superbowlpats
07-02-2020, 07:57 AM
I have Oakley FlakJackets with their photochromic lens and really like them. especially for mountain biking / CX

trener1
07-02-2020, 08:47 AM
Timely thread, I was just looking at some Photocromatic glasses yesterday and Backcountry actually has the Julbo's on a pretty good sale, %25-%30 off depending on the model.

nachetetm
07-02-2020, 09:23 AM
I have the Bollé shifter with the phantom green lense. They are fantastic, specially if like me, you live in a very sunny environment. Most photocromic lenses I tried don't get quite dark for my taste, only the Bollé does that, without being too dark on a cloudy day.

TunaAndBikes
07-02-2020, 09:40 AM
I have the Bollé shifter with the phantom green lense. They are fantastic, specially if like me, you live in a very sunny environment. Most photocromic lenses I tried don't get quite dark for my taste, only the Bollé does that, without being too dark on a cloudy day.
Cat 1 to Cat 3 was what really caught my eye when I was shopping!
Glad you like them, this might be the nail in the coffin

Ozz
07-02-2020, 10:14 AM
Rudy Project has a 25% sale going on right now.....been thinking of getting a pair with photochromatic lenses as well.

https://www.rudyprojectna.com/

CaptStash
07-02-2020, 10:17 AM
I have been using Tifosi photochromics for years. They get plenty dark enough for me, and lighten up to a high contrast slight yellow as well. Reaction time seems pretty good, and they are light enough to wear when I go out early just as the sun is coming up.

captStash....

dbnm
07-02-2020, 10:37 AM
I tried using the Oakley versions but I found that wearing a cap affects how the lens reacts so I have just started wearing the low light lenses when I head out late in the day.

veloduffer
07-02-2020, 02:17 PM
I've used the Oakley Radar versions and (prior to the Radars) M-Frame version. I generally use only in overcast days (no chance of sun); otherwise my Prizm Road versions work well in all other conditions.

I think any "major" brand will work fine - it's more a matter of fitting your face/head properly (like a saddle). Due to my Asian face and associated small/non-existent nose bridge, my choices are limits by lens size and nosepad so the lenses are not sitting on my cheekbones. YMMV.

djg21
07-02-2020, 02:28 PM
Rudy Project has a 25% sale going on right now.....been thinking of getting a pair with photochromatic lenses as well.

I uses Rudy Radons with photochromatic RX lenses, I get lenses that turn from clear to dark gray. I find the clear/grey best for evening/dusk rides and bright sunlight. I use them while on my MTB and ther’re good in the woods. I’ve used Julbo Zebras before when backcountry skiing. They were nice glasses, but I prefer the Rudy’s for riding, and the orange tint isn’t the best IMO for bright sunny days.

Brian Cdn
07-02-2020, 02:33 PM
Recently started using Adidas Vario lenses in Evil Eye frames. I have several of the mirrored lenses for these frames and so far, I really like these the best. I find that they adjust to light changes faster than my eyes. Literally, I can walk in from extreme brightness into my darkened basement with very dim lighting and not realize I'm still wearing "sun" glasses.

Ozz
07-02-2020, 02:43 PM
...Due to my Asian face and associated small/non-existent nose bridge, my choices are limits by lens size and nosepad so the lenses are not sitting on my cheekbones. YMMV.

FYI - I was checking out the Julbo site....they have come models titled "Asian Fit"....thought you might be interested.

Cheers.

reuben
07-02-2020, 04:10 PM
I've used the Oakley Radar versions and (prior to the Radars) M-Frame version. I generally use only in overcast days (no chance of sun); otherwise my Prizm Road versions work well in all other conditions.

I think any "major" brand will work fine - it's more a matter of fitting your face/head properly (like a saddle). Due to my Asian face and associated small/non-existent nose bridge, my choices are limits by lens size and nosepad so the lenses are not sitting on my cheekbones. YMMV.

I just stumbled across something that Oakley calls "Asia Fit". Never heard of it, no idea what it's about, but maybe it will work for you.

https://www.oakleyforum.com/guides/oakley-asian-fit-sunglasses/

Example: https://www.oakley.com/en-us/product/W0OO9454A

Veloo
07-02-2020, 04:35 PM
My custom Rx Rudy Rydons and Adidas Evil Eye Halfrim Pro use photochromic Zeiss lenses.

trener1
07-02-2020, 06:15 PM
The best lenses I’ve used that change are from julbo. I absolutely love their camel lens for bright to extreme bright. Those wouldn’t work for your needs as they dip to cat4 but they have others. I was considering the speed model recently since my jawbreakers are needing replacement.

Can you tell me what model of Julbo's you have I can't seem to find ones that have the lenses you mentioned.

Johnnysmooth
07-02-2020, 07:45 PM

Have the Rudy’s with the red photochromatic lens. Perfect for MTB in the woods of New England

Likes2ridefar
07-02-2020, 08:48 PM
Can you tell me what model of Julbo's you have I can't seem to find ones that have the lenses you mentioned.

They are older and seem to no longer make them though the link below appear to be exactly the same even down to the color frame I have in blue. I assume the lenses are similar since they state the same cat 2 to 4 range.

I would never use them for cycling unless in a pinch or for casual use. I only use them by the pool in Arizona or when hiking in the alpine or desert.

They have cycling glasses that don’t go so dark...

https://www.julbo.com/en_us/sunglasses/montebianco?_ga=2.27054333.1392041061.1593740454-599268422.1593463268#216=39&318=5232

The clarity is great, seem to always have the perfect tint, and I only can compare to Oakley prism polarized and Maui Jim I wear otherwise. They are superior IMO in most instances. they significantly reduce the stress on the eyes vs other glasses I have in the typical sunny desert conditions I’m in.

Camel®—all-terrain optimum vision / Lens developed for the Mountain range and Julbo Goggles, recommended for mountain, desert and snowy terrain. Visible light transmission 5 to 20%. Protection 2 to 4.

Dino Suegiù
07-02-2020, 08:51 PM
Does anyone happen to know if good-quality photochromic lenses are available as replacements for Rudy Project Ekynox (the standard size, not the smaller "SX")?

Gummee
07-02-2020, 09:28 PM
I really like photochromic lenses. Have a pair of Tifosi-es, a pair of Oakleys, 2 pairs of Shimano-s, and a pair of Specialized-es from back when.

M

makoti
07-02-2020, 10:16 PM
My custom Rx Rudy Rydons and Adidas Evil Eye Halfrim Pro use photochromic Zeiss lenses.

I have the same, but from SportRx. No idea of who makes the lenses, but they are bifocal, photochromatic, and work really well. They do not get dark enough (for me. Pretty light sensitive) for really sunny days, so I have another set of lenses for cloudless rides. For just about anything else, they work great.

2000m2
09-29-2021, 10:55 AM
Have the Rudy’s with the red photochromatic lens. Perfect for MTB in the woods of New England

I just bought some Rudy Rydon Classics with the Photochromic lenses. They were in the Outlet section of their website (https://www.rudyprojectna.com) at a decent price and the discount code THANKYOU10 saved another 10%. I used them yesterday morning on an early (before sunrise) ride and they were great. Just what I was looking for the last couple of months as I ride from dark of night in to the sun rising.

tomato coupe
09-29-2021, 11:11 AM
Roka

benb
09-29-2021, 11:11 AM
My regular daily wear Rx glasses are the Transitions Signature Gen 8, supposedly some of the best photochromics you can get.

I am not sure I'm getting them again at all even though they would do quite well for cycling in a lot of scenarios.

But they still have issues in certain outdoor activities. They get too dark on overcast days.

My Rx Rudy Project Rydons from Sports Optical I have their Rose Copper lenses.. those are not photochromic but they are literally about the most perfect color/tint for cycling there could be. They are never too dark until the sun goes down. They're not too dark for the woods. But they are just dark enough for the brightest of days, and you never have to worry about transition times.

Also if you winter cycle all these issues get worse with Photochromics:

- Colder weather biases them towards dark
- In cold weather they turn dark faster and reach a darker maximum state
- In cold weather they clear slower
- Hot weather they don't get as dark, and take longer to get dark
- Hot weather they clear faster

Mostly cycling is not too demanding on these I guess. I had a couple days last winter trying to snowboard where my photochromics were problematic.

If you need to look at a smartphone screen or your cycling GPS the photochromics can be an issue in their problem scenarios as well. Overcast cold day and they're going to darken but the phone/GPS is going to try and darken its screen.

I do a few other things like flying drones where the Photochromics can completely ruin everything when they decide to darken when you wish they wouldn't.

Photochromics depend on the angle of the sun as well so they have super super annoying scenarios right around sunrise and sunset. If you're riding into the sunset they will prematurely lighten when you don't want them too. In the morning if you're riding into the sunrise they don't darken enough.

truth
09-29-2021, 12:34 PM
I've been happy with Smith photochromic sunglasses for rides that encompass sun but start or end in the dark. I also love my Smith photochromic ski goggles.

nelsoc
09-29-2021, 12:41 PM
I've got the Rudy Noyz Photochromic and they're perfect early morning or early evening riding. Not great in the middle of a summers day though.

mistermo
09-29-2021, 01:08 PM
Another vote here for Julbos. I bought some earlier this summer and think they're fantastic. I bought a set of Renegade model for off bike, and Aero (or is it Aerospeed?) model for on bike. With their photochromism, I sometimes forget they're on. Super nice feature and the glasses are top notch too. Big thumbs up here.

ariw
09-29-2021, 02:52 PM
Yet another vote for photochromic Julbo's, I love them and don't even think about the changes, my eyes are just comfortable.

-Ari

FriarQuade
09-29-2021, 02:59 PM
An interesting downside to photochromic lenses, they're temperature sensitive. Or at least the Rudy's I had were. Went xc skiing in them on a low light day that was ~15* temp wise. Glasses got darker than they do on a bright sunny day. After talking to the Rudy rep, something about the reaction is temp sensitive and they are known to get very dark when it's properly cold. Not a big deal but something to be aware of.

IJWS
09-29-2021, 04:59 PM
It must be fall! I love photochromatic lenses. They will shrink your sunglass collection down really quickly. My fiancée took my Oakley ev zero's so I picked up a pair from Albo Optics. Anything you can find that will fit your face will be a good call. Great for sunrise/sunset rides.

deechee
09-29-2021, 05:05 PM
Thanks benb for the info about transitions. I recently bought transition lenses recently and am not impressed. Not sure what generation but I don't think it was the latest and greatest (ie. $$$). I feel like they're not dark enough in bright light - but I usually wear them when its hot out. Maybe I'll try them this winter; I didn't bother with them last year.

Maybe it was better eyesight in my youth, but I used to be able to ride with Oakley gold iridiums mountain biking and in the rain. I never really thought I needed clear lenses - but maybe its because I wear glasses 90% of the time and don't see the point of a prescription-less sunglass ;)

pobrien
09-30-2021, 09:12 AM
Hi all,

i have been wearing Adidas Evil Eye Halfrim Pro for the past four years or so and am very pleased with them. High quality lens as noted above.

Patrick

superbowlpats
09-30-2021, 11:34 AM
i use Oakley Flak 2.0 XL with photochromic lenses for all my riding - road, CX and mtb under all sun/shade conditions. work great for me

2000m2
09-30-2021, 12:39 PM
Roka

The discount code RICHROLL should get you 20% off, if Roka is of interest.

eippo1
09-30-2021, 12:43 PM
Just ordered some Smith Attack Mag MTB sunglasses for late season mountain biking and will let you know how the clear to grey prochromic from them work out.

As a side note, I use transition contact lenses and absolutely love them. Most useful on cloudy days that have glare, but don't really want to wear sunglasses.