PDA

View Full Version : Why won't it shift?

C40_guy
07-01-2020, 05:18 PM
I was doing some tinkering with my son's 'cross bike. Changing gearing, swapping wheels, you know...avoiding thinking about cooking dinner kind of stuff.

He's taking the bike to the Berkshires tomorrow for some light riding over the next couple of days, and I wanted to get the larger gearing on. But I violated my own rule of not making any changes before (or on) a trip.

So the f&#&er won't shift the front derailleur. I tweaked the rear derailleur for the new gearing and then tried to shift the front.

Nope. Nothing. No clickey. (Campy Record 10 Ergo). No movement. Didn't force it. Didn't want to break one of those levers. Said some words I'm not proud of. Asked my son if he happened to run into a tree on his last ride.

My stuff never breaks (knock on wood). I'm not accustomed to working on things that don't work. You know... Start with a good platform, go from there.

So I play around with the hood...it makes a little difference. Hmm.

Played around some more. Hmm. Looks like the end of that little piece of bar tape might be in the way. Clip.

Hooray! :)

Now my son is out for a quick test ride to make sure that the gearing all works, the newly mounted tires are fine, etc...

Now I can get back to my bikes...er I mean...cooking dinner.

teleguy57
07-01-2020, 06:13 PM
You're a good dad.

pbarry
07-01-2020, 06:49 PM
Gotta love the easy fixes! 😅

C40_guy
07-01-2020, 06:50 PM
You're a good dad.

Thanks!

C40_guy
07-01-2020, 06:50 PM
Gotta love the easy fixes! 😅

Yes!

Spaghetti Legs
07-01-2020, 09:53 PM
Nicely done.

Similar Campy 10 story from a couple years ago. For 2 or 3 rides every once in a while I’d feel a sharp stick in my finger when I was shifting the rear. Weird but didn’t think too much about - old man pains or something. Then the shifting goes wonky and I think “time to rebuild the shifter”. When I go to take the shifter off turns out the cable was frayed, holding on by 4-5 strands and it was one of the broken strands poking me in the finger!

oldpotatoe
07-02-2020, 06:15 AM
I was doing some tinkering with my son's 'cross bike. Changing gearing, swapping wheels, you know...avoiding thinking about cooking dinner kind of stuff.

He's taking the bike to the Berkshires tomorrow for some light riding over the next couple of days, and I wanted to get the larger gearing on. But I violated my own rule of not making any changes before (or on) a trip.

So the f&#&er won't shift the front derailleur. I tweaked the rear derailleur for the new gearing and then tried to shift the front.

Nope. Nothing. No clickey. (Campy Record 10 Ergo). No movement. Didn't force it. Didn't want to break one of those levers. Said some words I'm not proud of. Asked my son if he happened to run into a tree on his last ride.

My stuff never breaks (knock on wood). I'm not accustomed to working on things that don't work. You know... Start with a good platform, go from there.

So I play around with the hood...it makes a little difference. Hmm.

Played around some more. Hmm. Looks like the end of that little piece of bar tape might be in the way. Clip.

Hooray! :)

Now my son is out for a quick test ride to make sure that the gearing all works, the newly mounted tires are fine, etc...

Now I can get back to my bikes...er I mean...cooking dinner.

Yup, if the thumb button/pivot is 'down' at all, the little piece on the thumb button engages the teeth of the shift disc and it won't shift.

Fairly common, the thumb button doesn't pivot(mostly from rust) and then the shifter won't shift. A little spray in the pivot of the thumb button goes a long way, particularly in wet/sweaty environments.