PDA

View Full Version : Everything is out of stock and the world is ending

cribbit
07-01-2020, 03:20 PM
Tubes, tires, bikes - gone. Stores are empty. QBP and other suppliers are OOS.

Used bikes under $300 are selling for MSRP, some even above. Under $1000 are selling for 3/4ths MSRP. I sold all my backup/beater/guest bikes for 3x what I would've gotten six months ago and it took me less than a week.

If you've been sitting on stuff and want a chance to refresh now is a good time. It will be back to normal in a couple months, certainly by winter.

You get more money - the market gets more liquidity - everyone wins.

Louis
07-01-2020, 03:23 PM
Maybe it's time for me to auction off that pile of old punctured tubes I've had sitting around waiting to be patched.

$20 (+ shipping) and I'll send you one tomorrow. :p

robt57
07-01-2020, 03:32 PM
Already ended, we just need to wake up outta out cycling induced dream. I will stay in the dream state....

thirdgenbird
07-01-2020, 03:36 PM
Between bicycle stuff, children’s clothing, and a few unneeded household items, my wife and I have sold a staggering amount of stuff over the last few months.

I now own higher quality items at a smaller quantity and my total spend was negative. It feels great.

many_styles
07-01-2020, 03:36 PM
Just think of all the great deals there will be once it starts getting “cold”. Ha ha.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spdntrxi
07-01-2020, 03:37 PM
I have a NOS 24" Scott road kids bike.. thinking I should just off it on Craigslist.

texbike
07-01-2020, 04:05 PM
I started clearing out a few wheelsets and sold 3 wheelsets off of one CL ad in the past week. There was so much response to the ad for an older set of Ksyrium SSCs (bought from Thwart over 10 years ago), that two of the respondents purchased sets from me that hadn't been advertised. I sold a Parlee Z5, Colnago SLX, and CAAD7 Optimo in the last 60 days. The only one of the three that dragged a bit was the Cannondale and it was the least expensive.

Now does seem to be a good time to move gear on if you're interested.

Texbike

tbike4
07-01-2020, 04:14 PM
Seems that N-1, or 2 will be in the near future. Just have to decide what will go. It's a tough choice but I have a few bikes that are just too similar. I was keeping them to ride since the market was so soft. Tommasini will go I think.

unterhausen
07-01-2020, 07:53 PM
I should clean out the attic. Nothing anyone here would be interested in, but some decent bikes.

cinema
07-01-2020, 08:14 PM
i just got my brother an old davidson with 9sp 105 on CL for $400. a few months ago i would have thought it was 2x overpriced due to rust on the top tube (it's in chicago.) but when he got there the guy told him he had to fend off people willing to pay more.

oldpotatoe
07-02-2020, 06:29 AM
Tubes, tires, bikes - gone. Stores are empty. QBP and other suppliers are OOS.

Used bikes under $300 are selling for MSRP, some even above. Under $1000 are selling for 3/4ths MSRP. I sold all my backup/beater/guest bikes for 3x what I would've gotten six months ago and it took me less than a week.

If you've been sitting on stuff and want a chance to refresh now is a good time. It will be back to normal in a couple months, certainly by winter.

You get more money - the market gets more liquidity - everyone wins.

Yup, the supply chain working on a certain 'flow through' was and is disrupted with very high demand in a short time period.

Not sure that you are looking for but 'all' suppliers aren't OOS..

QBP is the big one but other suppliers are not short of stuff at all..

J and B, for instance.

oldpotatoe
07-02-2020, 06:31 AM
I have a NOS 24" Scott road kids bike.. thinking I should just off it on Craigslist.

Donate it..lots of people are really hurting, including their kids. If fact, donate a lot of this stuff you see you-all don't need..Lots of people hurting and it's not going to end anytime soon...

Not looking for a reward or pat on the back, but I just donated a 20inch Cleary to a local place called 'There with Care'..for kids with parents that are either in the hospital, can't work, or whatever..look around, lots of local agencies.

-Off soap box...

NoMoreParagon
07-02-2020, 07:11 AM
I honestly found everything I needed past few weeks and also saw v good deals both here and on eBay for v high quality frames and parts.
Not sure what shortage ppl are talking about.
What bike shops seems to have demand for is townies, hybrids and generally commuter vehicles.
If you need a dura ace derailleur or an eTap shifter there is plenty around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bentley
07-02-2020, 07:14 AM
Donate it..lots of people are really hurting, including their kids. If fact, donate a lot of this stuff you see you-all don't need..Lots of people hurting and it's not going to end anytime soon...

Not looking for a reward or pat on the back, but I just donated a 20inch Cleary to a local place called 'There with Care'..for kids with parents that are either in the hospital, can't work, or whatever..look around, lots of local agencies.

-Off soap box...

I agree... I’d rather give something away to someone that will use it than haggle with someone that wants to buy it. Great idea, thanks for sharing

Mr. Pink
07-02-2020, 07:36 AM
Also, used computers and home exercise equipment like dumbells. I'd pay good money for a few pair of dumbells.

If you're looking for a nice bike for dirt rail trails, I saw a first edition Rockhopper with a rigid fork for sale in Monkton, Md. next to the rail trail for 95 bucks. Smallish. Real clean.

ColonelJLloyd
07-02-2020, 07:37 AM
I'd pay good money for a few pair of dumbells.

Yeah, these are hot now. Even resistance bands and stuff are sold out. I'm finding new ways to use my wife's 15lb kettle bell.

54ny77
07-02-2020, 07:49 AM
Forum sponsor biketiresdirect has a bunch of tires, tubes, etc in stock (I just ordered a few things).

The sky is not falling.

Allcarbon
07-02-2020, 08:27 AM
I've been looking for a few weeks for a 54 for my gf who said my 56 was slightly too big. She is just getting into cycling and bikes for people with a low-mid level budget are scarce. Everything halfway-decent is posted for 3/4 MSRP even if its 15 years old and everything else is sold by the time I send the seller an email.

bthomas515
07-02-2020, 09:10 AM
Yeah, i made some extra $$$ during quarantine just selling off extra stuff. It was a nice surprise given the chaos of everything else

reuben
07-02-2020, 09:24 AM
Yeah, these are hot now. Even resistance bands and stuff are sold out. I'm finding new ways to use my wife's 15lb kettle bell.

Full Turkish Getups and burpees always ... get me down...

Slam balls, goblet squats, lunges...

sparky33
07-02-2020, 09:42 AM
ditto on men's hair clippers, oos until recently.
I am getting quite adept at re-purposing my hedge trimmers for the task - I only lost one ear, and my haircut looks stylishly wild.

zzy
07-02-2020, 09:43 AM
There are going to be so so many high end road bikes and hybrids on the market this winter. People walking into bike stores for cheap hybrids are walking out with $1500 road bikes.

redir
07-02-2020, 09:46 AM
I have not noticed this. IN fact I just bought a new group set for my MTB no problem. IF anything I would think people are saving their pennies because the future is so uncertain. But alas I don't know. Anyone interested in an old Arabesque group? I could probably part with that as it's been in a box for 10 years. :D

sparky33
07-02-2020, 09:53 AM
I've had trouble finding specific bike frames in the last few months. I eventually lucked out finding a used Stigmata and a used Warbird after coming up empty for the same new in my size. I nabbed the last small good-color Ibis hardtail frame for my wife the other day. Seems like the supply chain for carbon manufacture is disjointed right now.

No trouble getting a couple bikes-worth of parts and consumables at online vendors.

Selling lots of stuff has been about the same - keeping my ask fair, pictures, succinct detailed description.

Tickdoc
07-02-2020, 10:16 AM
might be your bubble. Bikes selling like hotcakes here but plenty of sundries available.

54ny77
07-02-2020, 11:21 AM
We all know that Rocky beat better opponents on sheer will, determination, and training via hauling logs and hitting sides of beef.

Improvise, adapt, overcome!

happycampyer
07-02-2020, 11:29 AM
There are going to be so so many high end road bikes and hybrids on the market this winter. People walking into bike stores for cheap hybrids are walking out with $1500 road bikes.

Every bike shop I’ve spoken to around here says that the only things that aren’t selling are higher-end stock road bikes, $1.5 - 2k and up.

The shops that primarily or exclusively do custom (Seven, Parlee, Mosaic, etc.) have been super busy as well.

johnmdesigner
07-02-2020, 11:33 AM
The only thing I can't find around here is the Mega roll of Charmin blue ****ting bears toilet paper.

slowpoke
07-02-2020, 11:38 AM
The only thing I can't find around here is the Mega roll of Charmin blue ****ting bears toilet paper.

Just post a WTB in the classifieds, but make to specify you're only looking for NOS.

tuxbailey
07-02-2020, 12:06 PM
I do notice that even in the classifieds here there are more WTB than FS posts.

cribbit
07-10-2020, 12:25 PM
I do notice that even in the classifieds here there are more WTB than FS posts.

Which used to definitely not be the case.

many_styles
07-10-2020, 12:27 PM
There’s going to be plenty of really nice components and bikes FS this fall and winter... “Winter deals are coming”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Coda1
07-10-2020, 12:40 PM
I sold one bike just before all this happened. Wished I would have waited a month. I've did sell another last week for over double what I paid for it.

fiamme red
07-10-2020, 12:45 PM
There plenty of toilet paper in stock at the local supermarket. :)

Onno
07-10-2020, 12:51 PM
What are people finding is the best way to sell old bikes these days? I have an old Serotta that I want to get rid of, and an old Fuji cross. Is ebay still ok? Or are there better places?

Thanks,
Onno

many_styles
07-10-2020, 12:58 PM
What are people finding is the best way to sell old bikes these days? I have an old Serotta that I want to get rid of, and an old Fuji cross. Is ebay still ok? Or are there better places?

Thanks,
Onno

Here!

Craigslist. Avoid offer up. It’s a $hit show of a lot stolen bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Onno
07-10-2020, 01:01 PM
Duh. Forgot all about our own classified section! I'm only used in once in about 10 years, but it would be the best place for the Serotta. Once I get permission from my wife (her old bike), I'll post it. Odd to be asking permission from my wife to SELL a bike.

jtbadge
07-10-2020, 01:01 PM
Complete bikes are selling like hotcakes on Craigslist. Make sure it's ready to ride then let 'er rip.

vincenz
07-10-2020, 01:52 PM
Craigslist, Facebook marketplace, or Facebook cycling buy/sell groups. Demand is much higher than supply right now so anything below a grand sells pretty fast from what I’ve been seeing.

sg8357
07-10-2020, 02:08 PM
The supply chain of French bike parts is doing fine, a nice set of MAFAC Raids made it from France to Khen-Tuck in 10 days.
The MAFAC rebuild kit, from Rene Herse, in stock.
A rainy Sunday of brake rebuilding in prospect.