PDA

View Full Version : HSG carbon test ride

Blastinbob
01-27-2007, 06:44 PM
I had the opportunity to go to see the demo fleet with Jack, Tom and Mark today at King's. My interest was in the HSG carbon and the Attack. I have already tested the Meivici with 6.5 tubing, too soft for my weight. I now own a Legend St OS and Ottrott St with 8.5 tubing and OS chainstays. There was no Attack in the fleet and just 1 HSG carbon which was slightly bigger then my steeds. I have had experience from owning and putting many miles on 2 other carbon frames, Calfee and Parlee.
According to James, the HSG carbon frames in the larger sizes are all 8.5 tubing which suits me just fine. The bike rode great, much more too my liking then my previous test ride on the softer tubed Meivici. The race geometry felt spot on. I was worried it would be too twitchy, but it is only slightly, very slightly quicker then the normal Serotta standard set-up of 73 degrees that all my 6 Serotta's have had. We had some slight incline which gave me a chance to stand up out of the saddle and the stiffness in the bb is as good as I have ever felt with any bike I have owned or ridden. This frame was set-up with a F3 6.5 which in my opinion was a perfect blend for this frame. My 2 other Serottas have F3 8.5 forks that I swear by.
The vertical ride on this rig was forgiving, better then any other carbon bike I have owned or ridden up to that point, that was until I hopped on Tom Byrnes's new Meivici that soaked up everything the road dished out.
All in all I think that anyone looking for a race bike should have a hard look at the HSG carbon. Or if the geometry works for you as an all-around bike this could or should be your "next bike"!
I think Obtuse is right, they will sell a ton of these! Now if they would add a 56tt to the geometry.....one for me? : )

p.m. me if you are interested in one, I will give you more info that may interest you.

Bob

Jack Brunk
01-27-2007, 09:13 PM
The bike of the day though was Bob's ATMO bike. While the guys were out riding, I had to stand guard to make sure that it didn't leave the premises. A dozen or more people wanted to slober all over the bike. Tom's Meivici is without a doubt the best looking bike I've seen. The picture that Bob posted doesn't do the bike justice. Simply incredible. Needless to say we all had a great day. Next week we have to do the Serotta thing again at Sundance.

Jack

SoCalSteve
01-27-2007, 10:30 PM
The bike of the day though was Bob's ATMO bike. While the guys were out riding, I had to stand guard to make sure that it didn't leave the premises. A dozen or more people wanted to slober all over the bike. Tom's Meivici is without a doubt the best looking bike I've seen. The picture that Bob posted doesn't do the bike justice. Simply incredible. Needless to say we all had a great day. Next week we have to do the Serotta thing again at Sundance.

Jack

Sounds like too much fun! I may just have to join you guys in Agoura for that one. Is it a ride? Or just a bike drool-fest?

Please let me know,

Steve

Blastinbob
01-27-2007, 10:51 PM
Jack, thanks for guarding the Sachs while we were out testin'. I would have really had to take home the HSG is someone stole my bike. :D

Serotta_James
01-27-2007, 10:52 PM
There's going to be a ride in the AM and we're having a reception/party in Sundance with Ben at 6PM.
I think the drool-fest is going to be going on too, as long as Jack, Bob and Tom show up in style like they did today.

James

berbabed
01-28-2007, 01:06 AM
Thanks for coming down to Kings today guys...We appreciate your support!
All your bikes aren't very hard on the eyes :)

Michael
Kings

Climb01742
01-28-2007, 07:18 AM
We had some slight incline which gave me a chance to stand up out of the saddle and the stiffness in the bb is as good as I have ever felt with any bike I have owned or ridden...The vertical ride on this rig was forgiving, better then any other carbon bike I have owned or ridden up to that point, that was until I hopped on Tom Byrnes's new Meivici that soaked up everything the road dished out.

bob, i'd be curious about any more thoughts/impressions you had about the HSG vs tom's meivici. the carbon lover in me is tempted by the meivici but i'm trying to rationalize the price. thanks in advance.

petitelilpettit
01-28-2007, 09:18 PM
Thanks guys for coming out and showing support for Kings. I agree that Tom's bike was one of the best bikes out there, but it was pretty funny about Bob's Sachs. One of the funniest things was that both of Kings' mechanics were walking over, both stopped, did double takes, and both walked over to view the Sachs. The day was an overall success with a few Serotta sales out of the day. Not to mention that the Serotta name is now on the tongues of many riders. Maybe even more people are going to Sundance (I'm gonna try to come up and hear Ben speak if I can get off in time) Thanks again guys!

Pettit

cleavel
01-28-2007, 11:52 PM
Hi Bob,

As noted in another thread on another forum, it was great to meet you and your riding buddies. Always enjoy chatting with other cycling connoisseurs. :)

I also greatly appreciate the attention that James from Serotta provided for my test rides and my other question. I thought that the Ottrott was very nice but the Meivici felt noticeably better for what I want out of a bike. Of course neither bike was set up very well for me and I have no idea what kind of geometry was on either bike nor how the tubes were tuned on the Ottrott.

Anyway, since the Meivici is out of my league I am hoping that the Attack will feel very close to it. Also, I can't tell you the last time I test rode a high end bike. I guess with the prices of the frames that I am considering, I will try to test ride all of them.

Also, thanks to the King's guys (and my friend James) for putting on this kind of event. It was well worth my time.