PDA

View Full Version : My K's got moved to Second String

dirtdigger88
05-17-2004, 09:08 AM
I swithced my wheel set this weekend. I pulled my Kysriums off my Legend to do some comparison riding this weekend with my Chris King/Open Pro set up. With the Kysriums on I liked the way the bike rode, don't get me wrong. What I did not like about the K's was the lag in the hub engagement. It is slight but noticable compared to my C K hubs.
First I pulled the front wheel and rode with the K's in the rear and OP's up front. On that ride, the rear of the bike was noticably "harsher" than the front. I know that is one of those cycling weasel words, but I think most people out there will know what I mean. Next I swithced cassettes and put the OP's on the rear and the K's out front. Now the front of the bike seemed to be the harsher end. That was enough to sell me, I put the OP's on all around.
I just love the engagement of CK hubs. The wheels are black CK hubs on OP CD rims with Revolution spoke up front and Competions out back. Total weight, around 1530g. I am really amazed at how much these wheels changed the ride of my Legend and how they changed the look. There is nothing nicer in my opinion that great 32 spoke wheels. So no one think that the K's won't find a good home, they did. I put them on my Zurich. How many bikes become back up bike AND get $800 wheel set to boot. :p

Jason

Climb01742
05-17-2004, 09:31 AM
i'm with you. switched two pairs of Ks over to OPs. much sweeter rides. i now use my Ks as rain wheels.

Smiley
05-17-2004, 10:28 AM
The truth about wheels comes out . Amen

David Kirk
05-17-2004, 10:37 AM
I built myself a new set of wheels a few weeks ago. I was thinking about a set of K's until I rode them. I looked in the pile of stuff in the basement and realized that I had everything to lace up a new set of tubulars.

I used a set of new old stock mavic GL 330 rims laced into a Mavic Helium rear hub and a Mavic 501 front hub. These things are silly light and actually ride very nicely. They aren't aero though......oh well. I put on a set of Conti sprinters and away we go. What a joy.

Dave

Just say no to high profile rims

Jeff N.
05-17-2004, 07:37 PM
I'm running black CK's with black CXP-33's, black 14-15-14's (32 of 'em), 3-cross fore and aft, with silver nipples. They look baaaad, and ride great....if you can get past the noisy rear hub. I kinda like the sound myself, but I know others who don't feel that way. But I'll tell ya, they're hard to beat. Jeff N.

jerk
05-17-2004, 10:54 PM
the jerk is glad you are enjoying your 16spoke rear wheel. chris king hubs make for the worst rear wheel ever in terms of dish. no matter who builds it the wheel will be inherantly unbalanced with massivly uneven spoke tension and will want to throw itself out of true at every oppurtunity. ksysriums ride harsh because they have aluminum spokes. that's it end of story. wheels do not deflect on the vertical plane but they do deflect on the horizontal plane. the jerk disagrees with you. chris king hubs suck.

Needs Help
05-17-2004, 11:40 PM
wheels do not deflect on the vertical plane

Huh? For now, I think I'll go with Jobst Brandt on that one. He says he can measure it by hand, and he is also smart enough to use finite element analysis to come up with exacting deflection numbers.

"The weight of a cyclist riding straight ahead on a flat smooth road provides sufficient radial load(ed. vertical load) to cause a wheel to deteriorate with age." (The Bicycle Wheel, p.17)

dirtdigger88
05-18-2004, 03:22 AM
the jerk is glad you are enjoying your 16spoke rear wheel. chris king hubs make for the worst rear wheel ever in terms of dish. no matter who builds it the wheel will be inherantly unbalanced with massivly uneven spoke tension and will want to throw itself out of true at every oppurtunity. ksysriums ride harsh because they have aluminum spokes. that's it end of story. wheels do not deflect on the vertical plane but they do deflect on the horizontal plane. the jerk disagrees with you. chris king hubs suck.

I know you are always right, so I am sure that I am mistaken here, but as I remember it, Mr. Jerk, I had these wheels build two years and about 9000 miles ago. I do not remember having or needing them trued yet. Maybe it is because I am soo light weight (195lbs) and ride on nothing but smooth as glass road (pot holes the size of Mr Jerks head). Like I said, I am sure I an the one mistaken here :p

jason

slowgoing
05-19-2004, 08:49 AM
Chris King hubs look like a bug.

Kevin
05-19-2004, 04:35 PM
I dropped the Ks a year ago in favor of Topolinos and Speed Dreams. The Ks were too harsh.

Kevin