PDA

View Full Version : Finally, I can enjoy my MTB.

tuxbailey
06-30-2020, 11:18 AM
Apology for the novel, but this issue was causing me not wanting to ride my MTB and I am so happy that it got resolved.

I moved to my current house in 2014 and it is right next to the Maryland Patapsco State Park. I bought a used HT (Trek Cobia) so I can learn how to do some trail riding.

The first thing I did was destroying the caliper by trying to bleed the brakes (Haynes.) So, I bought a full set of Deore brake and shifters. Couldn’t get them right and took it to LBS to have it installed.

Brake works but front brake squeal under heavy braking. I have changed pads/rotor to no avail and even posted here for help. I got frustrated and just rode my road bike mainly while some of the best trails in the state is literally walking distance from my house.

A few weeks ago, I was talking to my neighbor about this. He is an experienced rider and noticed my rotor is greasy and recommend cleaning it and resurfacing the pads again. After I did that, I notice that I lost a lot pressure in the brake and realized that the caliper must have been leaking.
As a result, I ordered a new XT caliper, then after getting it I realized I need new hose as the new caliper uses banjo connector. Now I learned how to install and bleed disc brakes.

Finally, no noise and I went with neighbors for a ride. Had a lot of fun despite one fall.

As a result of this, I have ordered an 1x11 XT group to replace the 3x10 SRAM X5 that is not shifting well, as well as some better tires from the classifieds.

josephr
06-30-2020, 10:38 PM
a well functioning mtb takes all the worries out and lets you focus on having fun. You'll love XT! Rode SRAM a few years ago and it was good, but just the feel of XT (especially the brakes and shifting) keeps me happy. Cobias is a nice frame too...I think it gets the short end of the stick as its not 'high end."

tuxbailey
07-01-2020, 12:39 AM
a well functioning mtb takes all the worries out and lets you focus on having fun. You'll love XT! Rode SRAM a few years ago and it was good, but just the feel of XT (especially the brakes and shifting) keeps me happy. Cobias is a nice frame too...I think it gets the short end of the stick as its not 'high end."

I think the frame is pretty decent and a proper mtb that is not a hybrid. Not carbon and not FS, but a good value frame that is just beyond entry level.

I am kind of excited with the upgrade as it is a good opportunity to do a new build :) Riding MTB is way different than road, requires much more burst of effort to deal with terrain changes and obstacles.

josephr
07-01-2020, 07:27 PM
I think the frame is pretty decent and proper a mtb that is not a hybrid. Not cabron and not FS, but a good value frame that is just beyond entry level.

I am kind of excited with the upgrade as it is a good opportunity to do a new build :) Riding MTB is way different than road, requires much more burst of effort to deal with terrain changes and obstacles.

both road and mtn compliment each other...MTB builds strength, handling, road builds speed and cardio.