PDA

View Full Version : Wahoo Bolt not synching up with STRAVA or Ride with GPS?

mosovich
06-29-2020, 12:01 PM
Anyone else having this problem? Of course Wahoo has stopped taking calls for support due to Covid.. (it's a phone discussion, wth?) I sent them an email, but I'm sure they are swamped. I looked on their website and could find nothing or any type of help.. Thanks in advance for any help. I've unpaired, pair, shut down, rebooted, made sure all updates are done.. UGH.. Might go back to Garmin..

dbnm
06-29-2020, 12:06 PM
Lots of people including myself are having this issue. I have an open issue with them.

They sent me this yesterday. Maybe it will work for you.

We appreciate your patience with this, I do have some additional recomendations for recommendations for you to try.

Please try the following steps:

1. Turn on your Element and make sure that it is paired to the Elemnt companion app.
2. Navigate to the Settings Tab
3. Scroll down to Live Track & Maps
4. Toggle Enable Live Track on and off
5. Tap on Share Live Track Link
6. Tap on Share Automatically
7. Toggle on and off Email/Twitter/FB
8. Proceed to the next page and delete all email addresses associated with the live track by swiping on them, and then re-add them

First, un-pair the Elemnt from the phone, reboot the phone, and then re-pair the phone and the Elemnt. Now, log out and long back in, and reset your links again.

Also, make sure that you’re connecting the ELEMNT Companion app to the Elemnt before each ride. The app and the Elemnt must be connected in order for anyone to see your ride via Live Track. For this reason, it’s important to note that Background App Refresh must be enabled for the ELEMNT app, and that Location services must be set to “Always”.

If the issue persists, please send over your Live Track link so that I can forward it to our developers.

Seamus
06-29-2020, 12:10 PM
Unpair in the app and then ALSO go into your phone’s Bluetooth menu and “forget” the Wahoo. Then pair it back up.

cgolvin
06-29-2020, 01:04 PM
The OP's issue is with synching to external sites, not Live Track. (Aside: it's asinine that it's possible to toggle the "share live track" to OFF and the ELEMNT app will still present the option to share Live Track.)

I had a number of issues using my BOLT, most of which were resolved with recent updates (Wahoo CS was quite responsive). However, synching with Strava and RideWithGPS remains. The good news is that, reliably, if I force the ELEMNT app to retry (by touching the spinning icon next to the service name) it succeeds very quickly. A small PITA but I can live with a predictable workaround.

…and that Location services must be set to “Always”.

They told me this too but, based on Apple's documentation, I believe they are wrong -- "While using" should suffice. That is the setting I use and (finally) Live Track works.

Onno
06-29-2020, 02:41 PM
When I have this issue with my Roam, it's usually because my phone isn't communicating with the Wahoo. Rebooting the phone normally fixes this. If that doesn't work, I manually upload using the Wahoo Elemnt App, which stores the rides. A recent update to the Roam seems also to have helped, made this problem a lot less frequent (in fact, I don't think it's happened at all since I updated about 2 weeks ago).

weiwentg
06-29-2020, 03:32 PM
When I have this issue with my Roam, it's usually because my phone isn't communicating with the Wahoo. Rebooting the phone normally fixes this. If that doesn't work, I manually upload using the Wahoo Elemnt App, which stores the rides. A recent update to the Roam seems also to have helped, made this problem a lot less frequent (in fact, I don't think it's happened at all since I updated about 2 weeks ago).

They also launched a Bolt update that seemed to resolve this issue for me ... at least until yesterday's ride failed to upload until I had to forget and re-pair the phone. I'll update if my Bolt or Roam continue to have uploading issues.

TBLS
06-29-2020, 06:35 PM
I am having a similar issue. The error message advised me to pair the bolt again. Before doing that, I tried turning Bluetooth off then back on and then the rides synced to wahoo, Strava,etc.

Beanbiken
06-29-2020, 10:35 PM
Yep, same issue here as per OP both Strava & RWGPS. There was a Bolt update when I last (2 days ago) manually synced my rides. I am about to head out now and will see what happens at the end of the ride, will advise

bitpuddle
06-30-2020, 02:12 AM
After years of trouble-free use, my combination of Bolt/iPhone/Elemnt app has become quite flaky over the last month or so. I’ve had to forget/re-pair several times to get rides to sync or notifications to work. Even did a factory reset of the bolt. The phone seems to lose connection with the Bolt frequently.

This is particularly frustrating, as the Bolt worked so much more reliably than my Garmins.

No solution here, just commiserating.

Beanbiken
06-30-2020, 03:28 AM
Ok, no change since update. I had to open the wahoo app and tap on my latest ride and then it uploaded both to Strava and RWGPS. As per other posters lack of film/software issues was why I ditched Garmin. My son has the Edge 830 zero issues that I am aware of, had it for about 8months..... maybe time for an update :rolleyes:

corky
06-30-2020, 04:53 AM
This used to happen with my Garmin 820, now it’s happening with my Roam......I’m suspecting these problems lie with the phone rather than the GPS. I’m sure there will be a fix at some point as there was with the Garmin but I think IOS(at least) keeps moving the goalposts

Beanbiken
06-30-2020, 07:29 AM
This used to happen with my Garmin 820, now it’s happening with my Roam......I’m suspecting these problems lie with the phone rather than the GPS. I’m sure there will be a fix at some point as there was with the Garmin but I think IOS(at least) keeps moving the goalposts

Don’t doubt that about mobile goal posts but it’s effecting Samsung/Android the same, personal experience. Phone syncs fine but unless I manually link phone/bolt no auto upload....... seems to me to be a Wahoo issue

tanghy
06-30-2020, 08:11 AM
have any of you checked if the wifi settings on your wahoo are current? maybe you changed a router/ router passwd?

b3pkay
06-30-2020, 10:06 AM
I've noticed that when it is either slow to upload from the companion app to Strava/RWGPS/etc or all out fails, I click the upload tab for the ride I've completed, tap the app that either shows it is trying to upload or failed to upload, and hit "retry" and it goes through almost instantly.

It happens so frequently now that my end of ride routine is to pull out my phone, open the app, check to see the ride showing up in history, and then go through the "retry" upload procedure to push it through.

Unrelated, how in the world do you pan around the map of your current ride on the companion app?? When I first load a route from the app I am able to pan around/zoom in/out, but once I tap anywhere outside of the map and exit what I assume is the map view, I am unable to tap/have any control over viewing the map or route. Anyone else experience this?

cgolvin
06-30-2020, 10:09 AM
have any of you checked if the wifi settings on your wahoo are current? maybe you changed a router/ router passwd?

If this were the case then the retry described above would also fail

madsciencenow
06-30-2020, 10:37 AM
I had a buddy having issues w getting results off his wahoo and he shared the following things to try from wahoo support:

Hello,

When you start and finish your ride, do you have the ELEMNT Companion app open on your phone? Here are those Bluetooth troubleshooting steps for you:

Ensure Location Services are on
Bluetooth connections on Android currently require Location Services to be enabled. Please check your system settings.

Ensure all app permissions are granted
Bluetooth connections on Android require the location permissions to be granted to the Wahoo app. Please ensure all permissions are granted in the system settings.

Ensure battery optimizations are disabled for the app
Android phones running Android 6.0 or later will kill background apps automatically in certain circumstances. This may affect workout recording and/or device and sensor connectivity. Please ensure the Wahoo app is excluded from Android's "battery optimization" list. Note that some Android devices refer to this as "unmonitored apps" under battery settings.

Ensure an exclusive connection
Wahoo devices are only able to maintain one Bluetooth connection at a time. Ensure other apps (including apps on other phones) are disconnected from your Wahoo device. Disable Bluetooth on any previously paired phone and force close any background apps which have previously paired to guarantee they are not maintaining a connection.

Forget and re-discover
Please try ‘forgetting’ the saved device in the Wahoo app and re-discovering.

Check for interference
Wifi can sometimes interfere with Bluetooth connections. Try disabling WiFi and connecting to the Wahoo device again. Move away from WiFi, Bluetooth, and other signals/devices which can cause interference like Chromecasts, GoPros, and power lines.

Check for background Bluetooth sync features from other apps
It has been observed that apps that have background Bluetooth sync features such as FitBit and Pebble can interfere with a stable Bluetooth connection, please disable all background Bluetooth features on apps like these.

Toggle Bluetooth
Turn off Bluetooth in the Android system settings for 30 seconds, then turn it back on. If Bluetooth does not switch off and on properly, reboot your mobile device.

Reboot
Try rebooting your Android device and, if possible, the Wahoo device. For Wahoo Smart Trainers ensure you disconnecting the power for 30 seconds.

Reset Android Bluetooth app
In the Android system settings, go to the Apps section and tap the 3 dots in the top right corner to select "Show system" and find the "Bluetooth" or "Bluetooth Share" app. Tap "Storage" and "Clear Data" on these apps to reset them, then reboot.

Let me know if you've gone through all of these steps and you're still having this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

glepore
06-30-2020, 11:41 AM
Mine just required the un/repair. Suspect its due to the recent iphone firmware update. Every time apple issues an update, it sees that that the Wahoo requires an unpair.

IJWS
06-30-2020, 12:11 PM
Am I being a baby or is this all too much work for a simple bike computer. I have had a Garmin Edge 500 since 2010 that worked great reliably but didn't upload rides wirelessly, show live segments, etc... I was really excited about the Wahoo because I erroneously assumed it would be like the Garmin but better. I bought two one for me one for my gf. Hers works pretty well (routes are slow to sync) mine works like trash (my reward for spending $600) After reading all this I thought, screw the Wahoo's I should have gotten Garmins instead. 30 day satisfaction guarantee is over. I think I am stuck with these little pos's for the next 10 years...

dbnm
06-30-2020, 09:40 PM
Another update today/tonight when I turned on my Roam.

Tz779
07-01-2020, 09:35 PM
Unpair in the app and then ALSO go into your phone’s Bluetooth menu and “forget” the Wahoo. Then pair it back up.

YES! i had this problem.

clarendon
07-02-2020, 05:52 AM
Not working for me either

JPS123
07-04-2020, 11:23 AM
Has anyone seen the Bolt not charge when plugged in directly to AC power via USB when the unit is OFF?

The remedy is to turn it ON, then it will charge, but if memory serves me correctly you did not used to have to do that. Easy fix of course, but it has caught me off guard a couple of times.

Is anyone aware of any workarounds to this?

scoobydrew
07-04-2020, 11:41 AM
Has anyone seen the Bolt not charge when plugged in directly to AC power via USB when the unit is OFF?

The remedy is to turn it ON, then it will charge, but if memory serves me correctly you did not used to have to do that. Easy fix of course, but it has caught me off guard a couple of times.

Is anyone aware of any workarounds to this?

I'm on the latest SW "update", but haven't experienced that even on previous versions. I can simply plug it into my charger (an old cell phone charger with a USB cord), the screen will turn on with an icon of a battery and its current level, and then shut off shortly after.

Regarding the original topic, I haven't had issues syncing my Bolt to Strava since the last time they screwed up the Strava authorization/credential issue (6-12 mo ago?). FWIW, I'm using an Android phone.

R3awak3n
07-04-2020, 11:49 AM
Jeez guys, I though garmin sucked and was the worst

Beanbiken
07-20-2020, 11:50 PM
Today is the first time in ages that the Wahoo Bolt has auto synced with Strava. There has been a few updates in the last couple of weeks which don’t seemed to have helped until today :. I don’t/didn’t have the phone app open as I have never needed to until recently. Phone is a Samsung S10

dem
07-21-2020, 07:40 AM
Jeez guys, I though garmin sucked and was the worst

The difference is Wahoo actually fixes things when they break, instead of shipping you refurb units over and over.

I reported an issue to Wahoo last week, 2 days ago I got a new firmware that fixed it. Has Garmin literally ever fixed a bug? I still have bugs open with them from 8 years ago. They recently broke my wife's 920XT, after entirely deleting the support forum and won't even answer questions any more.

At least the latest generation of Garmins are less terrible immediately out of the box - largely due to competition from Wahoo. I'm sure LiveTrack is still unreliable, though, without even looking. I assume that was a Garmin intern project.

On topic to thread: Auto-sync with my ELEMNT works for me after the latest batches of firmware. A friend with some insider knowledge said it was related to Apple's Bluetooth changes (which trickled into the code base on the Android side.)

glepore
07-21-2020, 08:18 AM
On topic to thread: Auto-sync with my ELEMNT works for me after the latest batches of firmware. A friend with some insider knowledge said it was related to Apple's Bluetooth changes (which trickled into the code base on the Android side.)

I suspected as much. I've had a Bolt since introduction, and whenever there's been one of these issues its followed an Apple update.

dbnm
07-23-2020, 06:22 PM
I had this happen again today. I've done all of the updates. Deleted the app. Put the app back on. Turned bluetooth on and off. Still NOT working.

many_styles
07-23-2020, 06:27 PM
What’s going on with Wahoo?!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

R3awak3n
07-23-2020, 06:32 PM
What’s going on with Wahoo?!

I dunno but garmin is down too. Only left is hammerhead

dbnm
07-23-2020, 06:32 PM
This.

many_styles
07-23-2020, 06:34 PM
Yeah, but they’ve had problems auto uploading activities for what feels like months now.

weiwentg
07-23-2020, 07:14 PM
Not trying to gaslight anyone, but for about the past one month, I haven’t had any issues with either my Bolt or my Roam uploading rides. They’re both paired to a current generation iPhone SE. I have kept the head units’ software updated assiduously.

many_styles
07-23-2020, 07:50 PM
Just forced a FW update on the Bolt. Also changed some settings on my iPhone as well.

I started a ride for a few seconds, and stopped. The ride automatically uploaded. I’ll see if it maintains this behavior after my next real ride.