PDA

View Full Version : Crashing contingency plan

veggieburger
06-29-2020, 07:38 AM
The other day a buddy of mine had a bad crash. He was riding solo, ended up in a ditch, but eventually got himself out. This got me thinking.

If I crash and cannot move, how the heck is my wife going to find me? I have a basic Edge 500 with no incident detection. I use the free version of Strava – no beacon. I carry my iphone in my jersey pocket, but there’s no guarantee I’ll be able to get to it, depending on the crash.

What do you do?

Pay the extra $ and get Strava Beacon?
Upgrade my Garmin to a model that will send a notification if I stop moving for 20 minutes?
Is there an app for my iphone?

Thank you!!

R3awak3n
06-29-2020, 07:42 AM
I can attest that the garmin accident detection works well... and gets better with ever update (it sometimes gave me a false alarm but that has stoped). When you go down it detects it and will start phoning home.

When I had an accident earlier this year it did its thing and was calling home until I stoped it. The problem with this is if you don't have network which around me, there is a LOT of dead spots. IF that is the case you are SOL.

But yeah if you want a little peace of mind pay a little. Strava is $5 a month, thats what people pay for a coffee. A new garmin is not crazy expensive either and will last you a long time and could save your life.

Veloo
06-29-2020, 07:49 AM
This isn't quite what you're asking but from the iPhone/ Apple side, make sure the Find Friend app is activated on your phone and your wife's phone - assuming she also has an iPhone.

Also make sure you both know how to log into iCloud and use the Find Phone tool.

This obviously doesn't send the distress signal, but if someone does need to find your location, it's another option.

dem
06-29-2020, 07:59 AM
Yeah, I agree you go with a layered approach.. nothing is fool proof:

1) Tell people your route (duh)
2) Use one of the many apps that let people see where your cell phone is
3) Carry a NOAA PLB (personal locator beacon) - these are the gold standard in being rescued and don't rely on cell networks, I use a ACR ResQLink
4) Carry a satellite phone like InReach for not-quite-dying emergencies

I do some or all of these depending on what I'm doing, but I ALWAYS consider anything cell related as 'best effort' - even just going behind the wrong hill here means no cell signal.

GregL
06-29-2020, 08:11 AM
The Road ID app: https://www.roadid.com/pages/road-id-app

This works great! My wife, daughter, and I use it for hiking and cycling. It's also handy for "mechanical rescues" where you need someone to pick you up after an unrepairable blown tire, broken chain, etc... They can look on the map and see exactly where you are.

Greg

Velocipede
06-29-2020, 08:13 AM
I've been fortunate to not have something happen. And there was a time when I wasn't married and would just go out riding and never told anyone where or when. Now of course my wife has to know everything so it's a slim chance I'd be alone. Plus I use an iPhone for recording my rides. I think that's a huge savior for people. Having that connectivity.

Anyways, this story is something we should live by. Ray Petro the owner/founder of Ray's Indoor MTB Park in Cleveland back in 2017 crashed while riding by himself. He is still partially paralyzed now from it. If it weren't by the dumb luck of a jogger running by, he wouldn't have made it.

https://www.vitalmtb.com/forums/The-Hub,2/Ray-Petro-of-Rays-MTB-Park-Suffers-Broken-Neck,9897

I've known Ray since he started his crazy idea. Me and some buddies even helped back in the day to build it out. It's amazing what it became and that him riding a pretty normal trail almost killed him.

In other words, be safe out there!

tv_vt
06-29-2020, 08:30 AM
First, you do wear a Road ID, yes? With contact phone numbers (home, work, cell) for your partner or someone else like that? If you don't wear one on every ride, start there.

Second, are you always carrying a cell phone?

That's as far as I go, but knock on wood, haven't had the need for them.

Bentley
06-29-2020, 08:35 AM
I do it a lot, I tell the family where I am going and when I should be back. That said the Garmin or Strava is always the back-up.

I did a Century Sat, I kept my distance and tried to stay at the front. Anyway, an older guy got across the yellow line and touched wheels and then hit a swerving trailer... lucky he did not get seriously hurt. Totaled frame and wheel. good a large group of folks to help.

C40_guy
06-29-2020, 08:36 AM
I can attest that the garmin accident detection works well... and gets better with ever update (it sometimes gave me a false alarm but that has stopped). When you go down it detects it and will start phoning home.

The incident detection is most useful on the road. I think my 830 shuts it off (or asks to do so) if I'm using it while mountain biking.

Specialized has an ANGI sensor built into some of its helmets. Their app must be open on your phone for it to work. (Not a big deal, you just have to remember to open it and to monitor your battery usage...)

The Apple Watch has a fall detection feature. My guess is that it would have the same issues as the Garmin offroad -- too many false positives...

Then there's the Buddy System (TM). Works well, immune to false positives, no monthly service charge. But does consume a lot of beer and pizza...

R3awak3n
06-29-2020, 08:38 AM
Yeah, I agree you go with a layered approach.. nothing is fool proof:

1) Tell people your route (duh)
2) Use one of the many apps that let people see where your cell phone is
3) Carry a NOAA PLB (personal locator beacon) - these are the gold standard in being rescued and don't rely on cell networks, I use a ACR ResQLink
4) Carry a satellite phone like InReach for not-quite-dying emergencies

I do some or all of these depending on what I'm doing, but I ALWAYS consider anything cell related as 'best effort' - even just going behind the wrong hill here means no cell signal.

I think that most people will not going to have an inreach for a 20-40 mile ride, even for just the normal under 100 miler weekend ride. I think most would re consider if they were even in an accident and had no way to contact someone.

The accident I had earlier this year I had very little network so now that I am thinking about it, even if the garmin was trying to phone home it probably would have not been able to. Luckily after I hit the deck I was a bit wobbly for a few second (thank you helmet) and then got up and tried to call my wife. Not network so I had to walk a minute or so and got a hold of her. I then found a place to sit. Eventually looked at my phone again and not network so I walked again and then saw 50 messages from my wife, called her and she was histerical saying I tried to call you, was about to call 911 I thought you were dead. Moral of the story is, can't rely too much on cell network in some areas. I think if you ride around a major city you are fine, but us in the country, go in and out of network a whole lot.

After that accident I did buy myself a roadID just because if I had been unconscious at least whoever found me had a number to call.

R3awak3n
06-29-2020, 08:41 AM
The incident detection is most useful on the road. I think my 830 shuts it off (or asks to do so) if I'm using it while mountain biking.

Specialized has an ANGI sensor built into some of its helmets, but I believe that it requires a monthly subscription and that their app is open on your phone for it to work.

The Apple Watch has a fall detection feature. My guess is that it would have the same issues as the Garmin offroad -- too many false positives...

Then there's the Buddy System (TM). Works well, immune to false positives, no monthly service charge. But does consume a lot of beer and pizza...

I never get super rad on my MTB but I can imagine that it would go crazy you are doing spirited MTB. Mine has been really good as of late but I have it go off just because of nothing and there I was trying to turn it off, feels like disarming a bomb

merckxman
06-29-2020, 08:42 AM
I don't have experience with these but there are the ICEdot and ANGi crash sensors to fit on helmets. Sensing a crash they send alerts via your phone.

Octave
06-29-2020, 09:24 AM
Having recently moved out to an area with little-to-no cell reception, I went for an InReach. Starting about 5mi from my home I have zero reception (regardless of network) whether I'm on the road, an old logging trail, or up in the mountains on some single-track. I often don't see more than one person on a 3hr ride. If I go down, I'll likely be found by cougars before my wife.

A small cost for a big sense of safety.

el cheapo
06-29-2020, 09:49 AM
What did riders do before technology? No phone. No tracking device. Years ago I went down hard in a spectacular crash outside town while riding alone. Drivers stopped to see if I needed help but I staggered up, mounted my broken bike, and rode the rest of the way home with blood dripping down my legs and arms. Life can be tough and you have to adapt.

junkfood
06-29-2020, 09:57 AM
I use the Specialized ANGI every ride. It no longer has any kind of monthly subscription, once you buy it is yours. You do have to run the app in the background so it is one more thing to run. I love having it and it gives me piece of mind. I use it on the MTB and it has never went off without incident. A lovely tool in my opinion. I will admit, I may be bias because I ride 4 to 5 times a week with the creator of ICEdot/ANGI.

Jake

C40_guy
06-29-2020, 10:01 AM
I use the Specialized ANGI every ride. It no longer has any kind of monthly subscription, once you buy it is yours. You do have to run the app in the background so it is one more thing to run. I love having it and it gives me piece of mind. I use it on the MTB and it has never went off without incident. I lovely tool in my opinion. I will admit, I may be bias because I ride 4 to 5 times a week with the creator of ICEdot/ANGI.

Jake

Jake, thanks for the clarification on the subscription. I'll change my post above...

Velocipede
06-29-2020, 10:48 AM
What did riders do before technology? No phone. No tracking device. Years ago I went down hard in a spectacular crash outside town while riding alone. Drivers stopped to see if I needed help but I staggered up, mounted my broken bike, and rode the rest of the way home with blood dripping down my legs and arms. Life can be tough and you have to adapt.

Well riding back in the day wasn't as dangerous. Back then drivers or others would stop and see if a cyclist was ok. Now they intentionally try and hit them or get as close as possible.

jkbrwn
06-29-2020, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the heads up about the ANGi. Hadn't heard of that.

Since moving to Los Angeles, riding in the San Gabriel's has always made me slightly nervous due to the total lack of cell signal.

However:

'What about if you’re out of service coverage? ANGi has a plan for that. Just set your estimated ride time before you head out when you know that your ride will take you out of range. All you need is an active data signal when you start your session. And if you haven’t completed your ride within that time frame, ANGi will send a notification to your contacts with your last uploaded location.'

If I have had no cell signal for three hours, as an example, does it mean my last uploaded location is the last place I had service? Therefore, it's kinda useless for this?

djg21
06-29-2020, 11:21 AM
The other day a buddy of mine had a bad crash. He was riding solo, ended up in a ditch, but eventually got himself out. This got me thinking.

If I crash and cannot move, how the heck is my wife going to find me? I have a basic Edge 500 with no incident detection. I use the free version of Strava – no beacon. I carry my iphone in my jersey pocket, but there’s no guarantee I’ll be able to get to it, depending on the crash.

What do you do?

Pay the extra $ and get Strava Beacon?
Upgrade my Garmin to a model that will send a notification if I stop moving for 20 minutes?
Is there an app for my iphone?

Thank you!!

IPhone set up so my wife can track me; Road ID.

VTCaraco
06-29-2020, 11:26 AM
This isn't quite what you're asking but from the iPhone/ Apple side, make sure the Find Friend app is activated on your phone and your wife's phone - assuming she also has an iPhone.

Had to do this a year and a half ago when a colleague didn't show up for work. The outcome was tragic, but the notion that you can do this is, frankly, surreal in some ways.

---

On-point, I do the same as djg ~ wrist has my Road ID and I give my family my intended route and projected return-time. They tend to check on me mid-ride if a longer route. With the coverage in VT, it's not unusual for the tracking to be ineffective for stretches, but we can all still anticipate.
I do the same when my wife is out solo ~ though I imagine I'm tracking her more than she's tracking me (I'm the more nervous of the two of us).

R3awak3n
06-29-2020, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the heads up about the ANGi. Hadn't heard of that.

Since moving to Los Angeles, riding in the San Gabriel's has always made me slightly nervous due to the total lack of cell signal.

However:

'What about if you’re out of service coverage? ANGi has a plan for that. Just set your estimated ride time before you head out when you know that your ride will take you out of range. All you need is an active data signal when you start your session. And if you haven’t completed your ride within that time frame, ANGi will send a notification to your contacts with your last uploaded location.'

If I have had no cell signal for three hours, as an example, does it mean my last uploaded location is the last place I had service? Therefore, it's kinda useless for this?

yep. The thing can't track you without signal. Why its important to give your contact your route so that they can find you.

I am surprised there is not a way to do this because we have phones with GPS and computers with GPS, why cant it send a signal that way? is the GPS system on the phone only capable or receiving but not send signal?

unterhausen
06-29-2020, 11:47 AM
I have heard the garmin crash detection works okay. I don't have it set up.

I always have a Spot tracker on. It has to see the sky to work, so depending on how far you got since it last talked to a satellite, it might take a while to find you. And it's not super reliable in the woods either.

I am surprised there is not a way to do this because we have phones with GPS and computers with GPS, why cant it send a signal that way? is the GPS system on the phone only capable or receiving but not send signal?
GPS is one-way. The receiver in your phone picks up signals from multiple satellites and calculates its position. No need to talk back, and it certainly would be unworkable. The tracers like SPOT and the Garmin tracker use the satellites from the Iridium system that was supposed to be for cell service, but nobody really wanted to spend that much on cell service.

jkbrwn
06-29-2020, 12:03 PM
yep. The thing can't track you without signal. Why its important to give your contact your route so that they can find you.

I thought so. This thread prompted me to order a RoadID, anyway, which can only be good. I often give my wife the route I’m riding but occasionally forget. I am tempted into getting one of the satellite devices mentioned above. Very paranoid for me as I’ve never really worried about crashing or anything like that, but I’m riding solo 100% of the time for the foreseeable future...

FlashUNC
06-29-2020, 12:09 PM
Wahoo Live Track.

dbnm
06-29-2020, 12:40 PM
yes, wahoo live track. when it works.

On longer rides, I also carry a small USB battery back up in my handlebar bag.

donevwil
06-29-2020, 12:58 PM
Wow, surprising how many of you have (or think you have?) cell coverage for your complete rides. I'd say over 50% of my riding is 0-1 bars and that includes commuting (100% coverage).

Being that most of my riding (and my wife's for that matter) now is solo this is a very interesting topic. We only "often" know when the other is riding and "occasionally" where, other than commuting. For us a mandatory conversation/note/text with route plan should be instituted. I have no idea where my Road ID, but the info is probably out of date.

Good topic.

54ny77
06-29-2020, 02:06 PM
Good info in this thread.

As another poster mentioned ResQLink, I have one (not for cycling), but until this thread never considered it for carrying on bike ride. Would say that 99% of my rides are in populated areas where someone would see me if I'm having trouble. But then again, I was out on a ride yesterday in a relatively popular route where a drunk & drugged out POS driver hit a kid (well known and talented junior cyclist) and killed him. He flew into a ditch. Fortunately a smart fireman was driving by seconds after and saw the driver with smashed windshield and saw a bike on side of road. Put 2+2 together in blink of eye and managed to find the young man and call in 911 , where roadblock set up and driver caught. That happened so fast it was miracle driver caught. Sadly, another miracle did not occur for the young man.

I always keep my busimess card identifying who I am along with health insurance info in a small baggie, which always goes in jersey pocket.

C40_guy
06-29-2020, 02:22 PM
I always keep my busimess card identifying who I am along with health insurance info in a small baggie, which always goes in jersey pocket.

So sorry to read the first part of your post...with regard to the second...I want my identifying information attached to my body...not on my bike, not on my helmet, not in a pocket.

After an incident, a jersey may be taken or cut off a victim and left by the side of the road or in the ambulance.

My RoadID is on a chain around my neck...it will be with me when I get to the ER. And it will be easy to see and access. Oh, and my other RoadID is attached to my LiveStrong armband, which I've been wearing since 2001. No reason to have two, except that I like the one around my neck, and the other one fits right on the LiveStrong band.

AngryScientist
06-29-2020, 02:27 PM
i've been wearing a dogtag with my name and ICE info 24/7 for many many years. it's stainless steel and indestructible. i believe any medical professional would instantly recognize a dogtag as important information.

veggieburger
06-29-2020, 02:36 PM
i've been wearing a dogtag with my name and ICE info 24/7 for many many years. it's stainless steel and indestructible. i believe any medical professional would instantly recognize a dogtag as important information.

A dog tag is a really good idea. I'll look into that, thanks!

Seramount
06-29-2020, 02:45 PM

so do I.

but, following my hit/run incident, the EMS cut my almost new (ugh) jersey off at the scene and placed it in a plastic bag with some other items (sunglasses, helmet, water bottle).

the bag went into the ambulance and was eventually given to me in the recovery room. no one ever examined the contents for any personal info.

C40_guy
06-29-2020, 03:19 PM
A dog tag is a really good idea. I'll look into that, thanks!

Please...order your dog tag from RoadID. They have been pushing hard to get IDs on every cyclist, runner, etc. Yea, I know, it's their business, but if they weren't doing it, the idea of having a permanent ID on your body just wouldn't be out there.

Oh, and by the way, they sponsor a lot of athletic events. When I called asking for a donation to a recent PMC Kids Ride, there was no hesitation, no bureaucracy! Just - "sure...where do we send it?"

AngryScientist
06-29-2020, 03:28 PM
Please...order your dog tag from RoadID. They have been pushing hard to get IDs on every cyclist, runner, etc. Yea, I know, it's their business, but if they weren't doing it, the idea of having a permanent ID on your body just wouldn't be out there.

Oh, and by the way, they sponsor a lot of athletic events. When I called asking for a donation to a recent PMC Kids Ride, there was no hesitation, no bureaucracy! Just - "sure...where do we send it?"

my dog tag is from road id. one of their original products.

when the stainless chain on mine broke after 10 years, i called them and wanted to buy a new one. they insisted on sending me one free. i bought a t-shirt that day, and am a customer for life.

GregL
06-29-2020, 03:43 PM

when the stainless chain on mine broke after 10 years, i called them and wanted to buy a new one. they insisted on sending me one free. i bought a t-shirt that day, and am a customer for life.
I've become a fan too. Their product is solid and the free Road ID app is a nice extra. Considerable peace of mind for little investment. If I was spending a lot of time off the cellular grid, I would look into alternatives, but for 95% of my needs, I'm covered.

Greg

metalheart
06-29-2020, 03:56 PM
Before I moved to an even more isolated area with even worse cell phone reception, I used the app Glympse to let my wife know my route and location. If you ride in an area with cell service it seems there are lots of option. Without cell service or with limited cell service the options go to something like InReach, SPOT, Zoleo, or some of the other Satellite Personal Locator Beacons.

I am still exploring the roads in the area to which I recently moved -- Northwoods Wisconsin, but on my first few rides it is clear that if for any reason I went off into a ditch or into the woods at the edge of the road it could be a very long time before I would be found. For example, on one of my last exploratory rides on one stretch of the route one car passed me in an hour. Overall 5 cars passed in the 2 1/2 hour ride. I'm on my own if something happens and I accept that and do what I can.

However, what isn't acceptable is putting my wife in a position of worry each time I ride because she does not know if something has happened. Before she could always check with Glympse if I was stopped too long and see my exact location. And, I do let her know my expected route, but recently on three different rides roads that I thought were going to be paved were gravel --- bike is not set up for gravel -- and I had to make detours and work arounds without being able to call her and let her know the plan had changed. Stuff happens on rides where plans are changed.

If you ride in an area with decent cell service, there seem to be lots of options to let your signifiant other know your location or to know if you have crashed. If you live in a rural area with little traffic and poor to no cell service then cell phone based methods are not going to do the job.

I'm evaluating the InReach Mini or other options for a tracking satellite GPS device that will let my wife know my location. If I am down in a ditch, unconscious, and unseen, then texting isn't going to help much, I just need a locator beacon.

bigbill
06-29-2020, 04:27 PM
I've set off my Garmin incident detection twice while riding my mountain bike. The first time was a straight impact in a wash that launched me over the bars. The second was a low speed crash that smacked the unit hard in to the ground. Both times I canceled the alert but it was comforting to know it worked. After the first time, I remembered that it would alert my ex. I fixed that.

donevwil
06-29-2020, 04:28 PM

Just went to Road ID's site to buy a new dog tag, are they discontinued? I only see bracelets, watch bands, shoe straps and dog collars, none of which would work for me.

AngryScientist
06-29-2020, 04:37 PM
Just went to Road ID's site to buy a new dog tag, are they discontinued? I only see bracelets, watch bands, shoe straps and dog collars, none of which would work for me.

aww man, it looks that way. that's too bad. mine is over a decade old and still looks new after literally 24/7 use. I shot them an email asking if they discontinued the dogtags.

reuben
06-29-2020, 05:44 PM
Another vote for RoadID. Just a simple band on your wrist. I don't want to rely on a battery or a GPS signal when someone finds me passed out in a ravine with a tree in my leg.

I have more than one, in multiple languages, for when I'm traveling/backpacking overseas. I should wear one when cycling as well. There was that time I broke both arms in a nasty solo crash and went into shock... (you probably aren't going to be whipping out your iPhone or GPS-enabled beacon when that happens).

Name
Address
Emergency contact(s)
Blood type

Do you really think an iPhone or iWatch will help me here? No. I need text in the native language, and it can't rely on a battery. I realize that we're talking about cycling near home and not backpacking overseas, but IMHO you (and whoever finds you, and the EMTs) need BASIC reliable information.

Think about it, when you ride.

http://mayophoto.net/trips/2015%20South%20America/_DSC0497.jpg

http://mayophoto.net/trips/2015%20South%20America/_DSC0799.jpg

Oh -and, the first image? People ride their bikes there. They start in Alaska in the North American spring, ride south through North America, Central America, into South America, and all of the way to Ushuaia. It takes about a year.

That's at about 14,000 feet in the Salar de Uyuni, which is right next to the driest place on earth, the Atacama desert (which they also ride through).

Again, I realize that we're not talking about a one year ride over a couple of continents from rain forests to deserts to mountains, but again, I can't sufficiently stress the need for BASIC and RELIABLE info for whoever finds you.

Sure, get a fancy gizmo with GPS, cell capability, satellite capability, and whatever. But get something basic as well.

dbnm
06-29-2020, 06:01 PM
My friend Cole Page is a Road ID ambassador.

If you want 20% off, use PAGE_LESS at check out.

pdmtong
06-29-2020, 06:51 PM
Have ID and let someone know your general route. The rest may or may not work

The doom scenario is a cardiac while riding and you just roll off the road down a ravine. Plenty of that possibility around here.

Happened to my primary care doc. A super fit guy who trekked Nepal etc. and another guy owner of the LBS that sold robin Williams a lot of his bikes. Both young fit and poof dead.

benb
06-29-2020, 07:18 PM
I have a Road ID and a big fat life insurance policy that will pay the mortgage off 3x and and still leave enough to pay for 4 years of college.

And then I go out and I don't worry about it cause cycling is not nearly as dangerous as we all think it is and I don't live in fear. Though I don't take unnecessary risks. I don't group ride much since I got married and I will drop myself out of group rides super quickly as soon as I see bad behavior in the group. I stop at all stop signs, red lights, etc.. and follow the rules of the road to the letter of the law.

My wife is pretty skittish, and our neighbor (<40) had an aneurism last year and passed out riding and yet she is 100% fine with all this.

I do think I have find my iPhone on.. but I'm not turning on a garmin feature that will likely fire false alarms.

No amount of any of these features replaces proper insurance. If you are really going to get creamed by some driver the chances any of these electronic aids actually keep you alive is slim.

merckxman
06-29-2020, 07:29 PM
I have an original dog tag too, only Army issue 1965 ;)
my dog tag is from road id. one of their original products .

C40_guy
06-29-2020, 07:46 PM

I'm bummed. Looks like the dog tag (for people) is gone. There's a medical alert necklace listed, but the website doesn't want to display it...that's probably discontinued too.

A bit surprising...the bracelet tags are probably more expensive to produce, but on the other hand, there's a lot of profit in the variety of bands offered. And of course, the dog tags are less visible, from a marketing standpoint than a wrist band.

Well, as long as we don't move and nobody changes their cell phone numbers, my original dog tag will be good...

metalheart
06-29-2020, 08:30 PM
I have an original dog tag too, only Army issue 1965 ;)

Navy issue, 1962 still wear it, but I also wear a Crashtag (http://www.crashtag.me)

Not a big fan or RoadID, just my preference.

oldpotatoe
06-30-2020, 06:22 AM
I wear a road id and take a cell phone...that's all...yup, dangerous, so is a lot of things and you can 'what if' yourself into or out of, anything..
If ya want to take a satellite tracker and phone, well, good on ya but..:eek:

I ride in familiar places, I ride defensively, by my self. Road only.

veggieburger
06-30-2020, 07:40 AM
Crashtags look pretty sweet!
http://www.crashtag.me/

C40_guy
06-30-2020, 07:44 AM
Crashtags look pretty sweet!
http://www.crashtag.me/

Looks like a rip-off of RoadID.

veggieburger
06-30-2020, 07:54 AM
Looks like a rip-off of RoadID.

I would rather buy a roadID, but apparently they are no longer making dog tags.

oldpotatoe
06-30-2020, 07:56 AM
Or, assuming somebody finds you, just have your name, SSN,and blood type tattooed on your chest next to your heart...:)

I know some military guys do this..:eek:

metalheart
06-30-2020, 08:52 AM
I wear a road id and take a cell phone...that's all...yup, dangerous, so is a lot of things and you can 'what if' yourself into or out of, anything..
If ya want to take a satellite tracker and phone, well, good on ya but..:eek:

I ride in familiar places, I ride defensively, by my self. Road only.

you are luck to live where there is cell coverage and where you are likely to found if you go off in a ditch and can tide familiar roads. none of those apply to me. a phone does me little good on my rides. a road id would only help if someone just happened to see me in a brush covered ditch a few hours/days/months if i was unconscious and then some. different tools for different circumstances.

biker72
06-30-2020, 09:50 AM
My original crash contingency plan was to carry a cell phone. Got a problem?? Just call my son to come get me. I live alone so he is the closest relative.

This doesn't work very well when you're unconscious laying in the middle of the street. I don't know who called the ambulance but I woke up for a minute inside one enroute to the nearest trauma center. I woke up again in the ICU and called my son to tell him where I was. I don't remember anything else of that day.

I need to look into one of these crash alert systems. I did have my ID with me and some very nice EMT took my bike to my house that was only 1/2 block away.

redir
06-30-2020, 10:04 AM
Back in my caving spelunking days we used to have what was called a sign out. You would estimate the time of your return from the trip and if you were not out by then the cave rescue would be called.

So basically tell someone when you expect to return and if not then they can trace your route.

C40_guy
06-30-2020, 10:39 AM

I just learned this yesterday. Sad about that!

C40_guy
06-30-2020, 10:47 AM
By the way, if you are into water sports, such as kayaking, canoeing, SUP, etc., please get an "If Found, Contact" sticker for each of your boats. Fill it out and stick it on your boat in a visible place.

If a boat is found floating by itself on a pond, lake, river, or along the shore, emergency personnel will assume that Search and Rescue is required. They will deploy boats, swimmers, Coast Guard helicopters, etc., to search for the boater. At some point they either find the boater or give up.

If the boat has an "If Found, Contact" sticker, they'll call the contact numbers first. They will be very happy to find out that the boat simply got loose and the owner is home posting on paceline.net or paddling.com. Then they won't have to deploy expensive, scarce assets. My guess is that this is probably somewhere between 50 and 90% of the cases of loose boats -- no search/rescue/recovery necessary.

You can get these stickers at no cost from a local harbormaster. They are happy to hand them out. Or you can order them from Amazon or a variety of other places for just a couple of dollars per sticker.

reuben
06-30-2020, 11:05 AM
by the way, if you are into water sports, such as kayaking, canoeing, sup, etc., please get an "if found, contact" sticker for each of your boats. Fill it out and stick it on your boat in a visible place.

If a boat is found floating by itself on a pond, lake, river, or along the shore, emergency personnel will assume that search and rescue is required. They will deploy boats, swimmers, coast guard helicopters, etc., to search for the boater. At some point they either find the boater or give up.

If the boat has an "if found, contact" sticker, they'll call the contact numbers first. They will be very happy to find out that the boat simply got loose and the owner is home posting on paceline.net or paddling.com. Then they won't have to deploy expensive, scarce assets. My guess is that this is probably somewhere between 50 and 90% of the cases of loose boats -- no search/rescue/recovery necessary.

You can get these stickers at no cost from a local harbormaster. They are happy to hand them out. Or you can order them from amazon or a variety of other places for just a couple of dollars per sticker.

+1

C40_guy
07-02-2020, 08:48 AM

Just heard back from Road iD... the original dog tag (https://www.roadid.com/products/fixx-id) is still available!

denvervig
07-02-2020, 12:56 PM
Great reminder for people like me who have been lucky on other toys as I'm sure everyone else has been... Back in 2009 I was on a GSXR1000 rental riding solo from London to Scotland as a result of a friend bailing on the trip and crashed about 90 miles outside of Edinburgh in a torrential downpour. Luckily it was a low speed low-side crash and I was able to get the bike and my belongings up off the road along with my pride and made it to Edinburgh completely saturated (leathers were drenched). My gen1 iPhone worked once and then immediately died due to the excessive moisture inside my jacket. I stupidly was going to carry on my trip into northern Scotland but was saved by the fact that I bent the neck of the coolant valve and didn't realize it while riding post crash since it was about 45 F outside.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1ZaHnocWHk6mf1zs8

unterhausen
07-02-2020, 01:21 PM
I was riding a grand randonnee last year and the person in front of me crashed and had a bad concussion. I was the last rider, nobody behind me. I have wondered what would have happened had I been in front. This road had virtually no traffic. He had a spot, that's how he found his bike after he got out of the hospital.

We were only a little more than 100km from the end, probably the hardest 70 miles I have ever ridden.

teleguy57
01-03-2022, 08:30 AM
Bringing this one back to life vs starting a new thread. Just saw a promo email from RoadID for their emergency tracking/contact app, and wondering if this is an upgrade/new, or if it's just the pricing that's new.

I'm a big RoadID fan, and tried an earlier version of their app which they discontinued. Now thinking about this, and interested how those who have tried both look RoadID and Garmin Crash detection. I'm less inclined in another/different service from the world I already live in (Garmin 1030 and Fenix 6 Pro; no Strava and no real interest in it for me).

jamesdak
01-03-2022, 08:50 AM
I just carry an old copy of my driver's license in my saddle bag and a cellphone. Otherwise I just don't think or worry about.

I got whacked from behind and knocked out in 2012. Some lady found me and I came too after about 8 minutes, refused treatment, and rode home.

Then in 2018 when the dog took me out and separated my shoulder I just rode the 8 miles back home.

I really just don't worry about what ifs to much. I'm also the guy that's spent his whole life hiking and doing wildlife photography alone in the backcountry.

You gotta live life!

GregL
01-03-2022, 09:26 AM
Bringing this one back to life vs starting a new thread. Just saw a promo email from RoadID for their emergency tracking/contact app, and wondering if this is an upgrade/new, or if it's just the pricing that's new.

I'm a big RoadID fan, and tried an earlier version of their app which they discontinued. Now thinking about this, and interested how those who have tried both look RoadID and Garmin Crash detection. I'm less inclined in another/different service from the world I already live in (Garmin 1030 and Fenix 6 Pro; no Strava and no real interest in it for me).It's a new app AND it has a subscription pricing plan. The old app was free. I liked the previous, free Road ID app. I haven't decided yet if I want to use (and pay for) the new app, or use the Garmin Connect following feature that's built into the Garmin ecosystem for their current cycling computers.

Greg

benb
01-03-2022, 10:21 AM
I started reading this zombie thread and immediately started thinking "life insurance + have your affairs in order" and then of course saw I already had posted that.

None of this other stuff actually matters much if you're going to get creamed and killed. If you're dead it doesn't really matter how long it takes them to pick your body up and no amount of tech gadgets will replace lost income for your family.

But by all means if it's time to be responsible just refactor your riding to improve your safety by:

- Stop racing
- Avoid chaotic group rides and ultra large events
- Choose your routes carefully
- Follow the rules
- Get yourself into the dirt when possible

I really feel like I was nuts to do some of the racing & group rides/events I did when I was younger. Those events strike me now as extremely high risk behavior and we just don't recognize it because they are lost in the noise of all the other miles cyclists ride that are much much safer. But I didn't have responsibilities when I was doing that stuff.

It's not like 1 out of 100 cyclists who go out for a random ride have a serious crash every day, but it usually felt like it was at least that racing.

Gianni Bianchi
01-03-2022, 10:42 AM
I use the wahoo tracker so my wife gets an email with my route and progression. Interestingly the first time I started this tracker I got hit by a car. Thankfully I called her immediately and waited for the ambulance to get my broken wrist casted.

Otherwise, I always always wear a rubber ID bracelet (with my name, health card number, blood type, contact phone number, etc laser etched into the metal part). I would HIGHLY recommend everyone get one of these.

I also tell my SO my route and ETA back home and if there's a delay (like running into an old team mate or friend at the coffee stop or a change in route plan, I'll call her).

ripvanrando
01-03-2022, 10:56 AM
3/3 of my bad crashes were due to equipment failure and there is nothing I could have done to prevent them. Two of the incidents were pre-cellphone days and the other one? My cell got me help and on my way to the trauma center, eventually.

My contingency for riding or backpacking in remoter areas lacking cellphone service is a connection to a satellite and a paid up emergency evacuation insurance plan.

I found myself in a ditch recently with my arm going 90 degrees from the proper direction and the end of the bone coming out of the skin, disentangling my arm and getting it straight wasn't fun nor was making the cellphone call. Neither hospital or any medical professional asked for ID. In fact, I gave my insurance and ID information 2 days after the accident. I suppose ID would be useful if I had died on the spot.

Clancy
01-03-2022, 01:19 PM
On the back of my m/c helmet I listed my Name, DOB, Blood Type, DL# and emergency contact in red permanent marker. Why I haven’t done this on my cycling helmets I don’t have a clue.

Going to do it today.

Ozz
01-03-2022, 01:32 PM
If you've seen the new Apple Watch ads on TV, if your car is submerged in water, you break your leg on the farm, or get blown out to sea while paddle-boarding, unless you have an Apple Watch....you are going to die. :rolleyes:

I always carry an expired drivers license (current address, etc), carry my phone and let my wife know how long I will be gone.

Some of those "Road ID" ideas sound good too.

kppolich
01-03-2022, 01:41 PM
Road ID on my wrist, Garmin 530 running with accident notification to a few folks, iPhone with me with Find My as well.

oldpotatoe
01-04-2022, 06:40 AM
On the back of my m/c helmet I listed my Name, DOB, Blood Type, DL# and emergency contact in red permanent marker. Why I haven’t done this on my cycling helmets I don’t have a clue.

Going to do it today.

Friend of mine got creamed on his M/C not long ago and first thing somebody did was take his helmet off(OOOPs..don't DO this!!)...and when he finally came to, and during post crash investigation..helmet was nowhere to be found..He thinks some bean bag stole it at the scene so....

I still like the idea of name, phone, NOK, blood type, meds, etc..tattooed on your chest next to your heart. If it's a REALLY bad crash, in ER, first thing they do is strip ya.

ripvanrando
01-04-2022, 07:23 AM
I had a seatpost break once. When I came back to life, there was an ambulance there. I lost the helmet. They had me on a body board, thought I broke my back but just ruined my neck. Weird about the helmet, no idea where it went. I was able to recover the bike but I never rode it again. I doubt I'll ever ride the AK61 that I crashed on recently. That's my prevention......N = 1

Hellgate
01-04-2022, 07:32 AM
As a recent crash survivor and one who has crashed many things over the years I always carry my ID, credit card, health insurance card, phone. I also have my blood type Sharpied onto the outside of my helmets, cycle and moto, it's an Army thing.

With the most recent crash is was nice to have everything as the hospitals quickly had all my information. It also helped with providers as the hospital contacted my insurance company to find those who are in network. That saved me uncountable amounts of grief, time and money.

paulh
01-04-2022, 07:35 AM
I have no idea what blood type I am. Pretty sure Emergency Department staff would do a quick and dirty type before any transfusion rather than relying on anything sharpied anywhere.:cool:

oldpotatoe
01-04-2022, 07:41 AM
I have no idea what blood type I am. Pretty sure Emergency Department staff would do a quick and dirty type before any transfusion rather than relying on anything sharpied anywhere.:cool:

NOT an MD but 'guessing' that if ya gotta have blood NOW, you'd get the 'universal donor' blood type..O positive is it?

ripvanrando
01-04-2022, 07:50 AM
pretty sure transfusions are not done very often. I was in surgery for 3.5 hours after my crash. I noticed my hemoglobin dropped over 3 gm/dL pre to post surgery, into the anemic range. Afterwards, I was weak and asked my family doctor what's happened and he said I had to have lost a ton of blood during surgery. I asked him why they did not top me up, he said they try not to give blood if possible. I doubt ambulances carry blood and if you need blood when you arrive at the ER, does anyone think they will trust what is written on a helmet or an ID card. They will test

CNY rider
01-04-2022, 07:59 AM
I can assure you all there is no value to having your blood type on your emergency contact info or tattooed on your body.
At least not in the US or other medically advanced countries.
You are not getting transfused with type specific blood without having a cross match done at the hospital.
If you need it faster then that it will be Type O negative ("universal donor").

Black Dog
01-04-2022, 08:46 AM
NOT an MD but 'guessing' that if ya gotta have blood NOW, you'd get the 'universal donor' blood type..O positive is it?

This. They will run a bag(s) of O Neg while they are typing and cross matching (checking blood type and Rh: meaning Rhesus factor-the + - part of blood types, cross matching is an actual compatibility test with the donor's blood that is the same type as yours).

tuxbailey
01-04-2022, 09:16 AM
Is the Garmin incident tracking same as Livetrack? I have livetrack enabled so if I start a ride on my 520/Fenix 3 it will notify my wife.

professerr
01-04-2022, 09:28 AM
Apple watch fall detector and insurance card for any solo road ride. Riding buddies for anything off road.

Clancy
01-04-2022, 10:01 AM
Friend of mine got creamed on his M/C not long ago and first thing somebody did was take his helmet off(OOOPs..don't DO this!!)...and when he finally came to, and during post crash investigation..helmet was nowhere to be found..He thinks some bean bag stole it at the scene so....

I still like the idea of name, phone, NOK, blood type, meds, etc..tattooed on your chest next to your heart. If it's a REALLY bad crash, in ER, first thing they do is strip ya.

From what I’ve read, EMT’s and first responders are trained not to remove helmets w/o first carefully assessing. I’m guessing whoever removed your friend’s helmet was a bystander.

I have never thought of getting the info tattooed. Interesting!

ti_or_die
01-04-2022, 11:26 AM

In addition to the Garmin Incident Detection, perhaps a less permanent way of having all personal data would be to store it on the phone. I always carry my phone with me, whether it is in my jersey pocket or bar bag. I have my iPhone emergency SOS enabled with contacts to be notified and my health info entered.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208076

oldpotatoe
01-05-2022, 07:13 AM
From what I’ve read, EMT’s and first responders are trained not to remove helmets w/o first carefully assessing. I’m guessing whoever removed your friend’s helmet was a bystander.

That is correct and maybe the guy who snagged the helmet..

htwoopup
01-05-2022, 11:53 AM
On the dog tag idea…

Please note that every jurisdiction is different so what I am about to say might not be true where you are.

I always wear a Road ID on my left wrist.

The training I received in Emergency Response in Suffolk County NY a number of years ago was to use the left wrist when first doing a vitals check because you go to neck etc after when you know you can move head neck spine (trying to put this simplistically).

When first on a scene the first step is stabilizing the patient and names and so on can be later. But to have that (and any other important info like known allergies) right where I am going to first go seems sensible to me.

I don’t remember ever being told to look for a dog tag early in an incident response and as noted above it would probably just end up in a possessions bag along with other “jewelry “.

But again, that was just our training and may be different elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C40_guy
01-05-2022, 11:57 AM
Forget the dog tag, bring the dog!

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2022/01/04/lebanon-new-hampshire-dog-tinsley-state-police-vermont-crash/