PDA

View Full Version : Campy red pads... wowawiwaaa

R3awak3n
06-28-2020, 07:24 PM
I kept hearing how amazing braking is on Boras with the red pads. I am going to be honest, I did not believe it haha. Sure I am sure they brake fine but it will still feel like a carbon pad on a carbon wheel. I have had a few reynolds with the blue pads and they always were decent but I would have never said they were as good as alloy.

Well I have some fulcum quattro carbons (thanks Clean39T) and was waiting for some red pads which finally got here on Saturday. First ride today and I have to say, they are indeed fantastic. This is not even the latest and greatest brake track but the braking is fantastic. It has quite the bite and inspires confidence. Maybe not as good as alloy but I think it might be.

AngryScientist
06-28-2020, 07:28 PM
haha. i told you so. :banana:

AngryScientist
06-28-2020, 07:29 PM
oh

devil's

kitchen

bring

it

ON

!!

Tickdoc
06-28-2020, 07:35 PM
Ayup.

R3awak3n
06-28-2020, 07:50 PM
oh

devil's

kitchen

bring

it

ON

!!

ahhaha I think going down that thing would still burn a whole on that brake track :)

Devils Kitchen is 1 - 0 Carbon rim brake wheels, I don't want it to go 2 - 0

It is also Devils Kitchen 1 - 0 disc brake pads LOL, wore em to the metal

Descended it twice and I think I am good... Will go up, will not come down :)

robertbb
06-28-2020, 09:27 PM
I kept hearing how amazing braking is on Boras with the red pads. I am going to be honest, I did not believe it haha. Sure I am sure they brake fine but it will still feel like a carbon pad on a carbon wheel. I have had a few reynolds with the blue pads and they always were decent but I would have never said they were as good as alloy.

Well I have some fulcum quattro carbons (thanks Clean39T) and was waiting for some red pads which finally got here on Saturday. First ride today and I have to say, they are indeed fantastic. This is not even the latest and greatest brake track but the braking is fantastic. It has quite the bite and inspires confidence. Maybe not as good as alloy but I think it might be.

I assume it has the 3diamant surface?

If so, I agree. No difference at all to AC3 in the dry, 3diamante is actually quieter due to the lack of grooves. Some have complained about the grooves actually wearing out after a lot of braking anyway. On another forum, someone posted that they asked Campy directly if there is any difference in the resins used or anything... again, 3d was (according to this guy anyway) identical in carbon/resin construction as well.

Never ridden them in the wet so can't comment on whether AC3 is actually any better there either.

Spaghetti Legs
06-28-2020, 09:44 PM
I have a set with Zipp 202’s. Always been happy with them, including lots of descents.

R3awak3n
06-28-2020, 09:48 PM
I assume it has the 3diamant surface?

If so, I agree. No difference at all to AC3 in the dry, 3diamante is actually quieter due to the lack of grooves. Some have complained about the grooves actually wearing out after a lot of braking anyway. On another forum, someone posted that they asked Campy directly if there is any difference in the resins used or anything... again, 3d was (according to this guy anyway) identical in carbon/resin construction as well.

Never ridden them in the wet so can't comment on whether AC3 is actually any better there either.

Yes, from my understanding they have th 3diamant surface, and the new version has the AC3. No grooves on the track on mine. They are probably not going to see much rain action but in the dry, very good and super quite too.

R3awak3n
06-28-2020, 09:48 PM
I have a set with Zipp 202’s. Always been happy with them, including lots of descents.

From a test I saw, Zipps have some of the best brake tracks, actually think they got #1 on that test, campy came in 3rd.

kramnnim
06-28-2020, 09:56 PM
I think I have a set of these for sale if anyone wants them. BR-BO500?

mmendoza87
06-28-2020, 10:28 PM
Yep R3awak3n, when I had a rim brake bike and Boras with the red pads, I couldn't believe it too. Stopping power felt on par compared to alloy rims. Never tried it in wet though.

glepore
06-29-2020, 05:31 AM
Yeah, they're my favorite pad all around. Use them on everything from Lightweights to Al33's.

jpritchet74
06-29-2020, 06:29 AM
Oddly, for me both yes and no. With my Boras (pre-AC3) on my Pegoretti with Record brakes the red pads were horrible. They were so loud that I just couldn't ride the bike like that. I had called Campy tech support and they had me make sure all bolted connections were torqued properly and had me toe in the brakes as well. Nothing worked. Tossed on some SwissStop Black Prince and the braking was silent and stopped well.

I put those same wheels onto my Colnago C60 with Record brakes and the red pads - absolute perfection.

The loud braking (apparently) is due to vibration - I have no idea what could have been causing it on the Peg.