PDA

View Full Version : That moment...

oldfatslow
06-28-2020, 08:02 AM
That moment when you are dragging but need a few more miles to hit your weekly goal and you put on your helmet and it's still soaking wet with day-old sweat from yesterday's ride.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

DHallerman
06-28-2020, 08:18 AM
That moment when you are dragging but need a few more miles to hit your weekly goal and you put on your helmet and it's still soaking wet with day-old sweat from yesterday's ride.

Is this why I have at least 5 helmets hanging in my basement?

AngryScientist
06-28-2020, 08:19 AM
my weekly goal is to enjoy cycling, so when i hit that moment, i crack a cold one.

https://sc02.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1E7WcX2fsK1RjSszbq6AqBXXaM.jpg

Robot870
06-28-2020, 08:51 AM
When I'm not motivated I just pull out the tubular wheels......Fixes that prob everytime!!:banana:

Frankwurst
06-28-2020, 09:02 AM
my weekly goal is to enjoy cycling, so when i hit that moment, i crack a cold one.

https://sc02.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1E7WcX2fsK1RjSszbq6AqBXXaM.jpg

This is the only answer that will make any sense to me. Not only because it makes sense but because I already had it figured out and I'm not even a scientist. ;):beer:

Peter P.
06-28-2020, 09:11 AM
I don't worship the numbers.

pjbaz
06-28-2020, 10:07 AM
I don't worship the numbers.

I don't either ... BUT yesterday (after stopping mid-ride to change a flat on my wife's car - good thing I was still close to town) I rolled a few extra loops to make sure I broke 800 for the season lol.

NHAero
06-28-2020, 10:42 AM
First thing I do coming back from a ride is place helmet, shoes, gloves and cap in a place where they'll dry. I've been riding with Paceline caps (have two) under my helmet and they make a big difference in helmet moisture - never had a cycling cap before this (you've heard of early adopters - I'm the other end of the bell curve).

I had a mileage goal of 10 miles/day avg. for 2020, but then COVID19 hit. I have 430 more miles to go to hit my goal, should reach it mid-July. Who'd a thunk it? But I'm not letting the numbers drive my riding. Now that I have a riding streak going, at 58 days, I am trying to ensure I can get out every day.

pdmtong
06-28-2020, 11:27 AM

oldfatslow
06-28-2020, 01:00 PM
I just got back from my ride. What's funny is that so many rides start with that feeling but end up being great or even epic. YMMV so I get the "F it, I'm having a beer" and I've had those moments too but more often than not pushing through is rewarding on many levels.

Here's something I might have missed had I not pushed through this morning's yuck moment.

giverdada
06-28-2020, 07:47 PM
I appreciate this. And I'm inspired by your willingness to go back out there.

Although it's usually more with running, I have spent the past few years on teaching myself to embrace the suck. Enjoy the gross feeling of putting on kit that's already wet. Savour every disgusting bit of a wet shoe going on. Truly understand that each sensation that is gross is a lucky one, something I used to yearn for, every second I could not suffer/have it because of one injury or another. My concussion a couple of years ago gave me a lot of time to reflect and think about/obsess over things, and I channel it every now and again when something feels like it sucks. It may even actually suck. And I would have done anything to get that suck feeling when I was laid up, unable to walk up stairs, unable to roll over in bed.

Riding for miles or a weekly goal is a next step for me. Right now, I'm working on getting back into regular riding at all, and your post inspires me. I appreciate goals too, if for nothing other than a trigger to let fly the chance of something good happening. It usually does, when you're on two wheels...

gbcoupe
06-28-2020, 08:08 PM
Yes/No. I've had plenty of rides where I've had to push myself to get started. Usually after 55-65 minutes I feel great, no matter how I felt previously. But sometimes no, and it's OK to nix the day.

My work weeks more often than not, burn me out, physically and mentally. Usually a ride clears, energizes and refreshes me. If I'm not feeling it, that's OK as well. I really don't have any goals anymore. I will never get back to the pace I had 5 years ago. I'm out to enjoy.

Tandem Rider
06-28-2020, 09:49 PM
I just left Monkless Brewing, belgian quads and Moules for dinner, where do we ride tomorrow? Long story short, if you feel burned out, it means you need to rest and do something fun. Rest is equally important to training, you get stronger when you RECOVER from the work. Listen to your body.

oldpotatoe
06-29-2020, 05:40 AM

Why do you 'need' it? Be careful that your passion doesn't become a job, something that you may dread, a 'problem' that needs to be solved...:)...

If I don't feel like riding, I don't.

soulspinner
06-29-2020, 06:27 AM

I have only regretted a handful of rides in my life. Every time I think im just not into it but force myself to go.....I feel so glad I went after the ride..... Blow dry that helmet!:p

oldfatslow
06-29-2020, 06:48 AM
Why do you 'need' it? Be careful that your passion doesn't become a job, something that you may dread, a 'problem' that needs to be solved...:)...

If I don't feel like riding, I don't.

It's good to have goals. My current goal is to regain lost fitness which involves digging myself out of a 3.5 year hole where I was traveling continuously in a high-stress job. I gained a ton of weight and hit numbers I'd never seen in my life, lost my base fitness, and generally was the least healthy I've been in my life.

90 days in, I've lost 16% of my weight putting myself back in an appropriate weight range while putting on muscle and regaining a good level of base fitness.

My weekly goals at the moment are 250 miles a week and when I can get to 300 I'm going to push to get there because that's satisfying (I've had three 300 mile weeks and they are now, with my regained fitness, coming easier and more consistently -- 3 of last 4).

When I ride I alternate between music and podcasts and both help my head. I see a lot of beautiful things. Socialize with dogs trying to eat me or just running alongside to say hello. All this without store stops (thanks Covid craziness) by carrying more water than a camel.

I prefer to exercise my love of bikes by riding them.

YMMV, all of our situations are different, and if your love of bikes means a ride in the neighborhood to pick up coffee and then head home to catch up on the community here that's awesome.

Last, back to goals, as my fitness is coming back I'm trying to determine my next goal. I watched a bunch of youtube documentaries last night about The Great Divide Trail. 2700 miles. Long stretches without services. I'm probably a year of planning and prep but I think that's my next big goal.

What's your goal for post-Covid craziness (what keeps you going in these strange times)? What's you daily or weekly goal with regard to riding bikes?

soulspinner
06-29-2020, 07:08 AM
It's good to have goals. My current goal is to regain lost fitness which involves digging myself out of a 3.5 year hole where I was traveling continuously in a high-stress job. I gained a ton of weight and hit numbers I'd never seen in my life, lost my base fitness, and generally was the least healthy I've been in my life.

90 days in, I've lost 16% of my weight putting myself back in an appropriate weight range while putting on muscle and regaining a good level of base fitness.

My weekly goals at the moment are 250 miles a week and when I can get to 300 I'm going to push to get there because that's satisfying (I've had three 300 mile weeks and they are now, with my regained fitness, coming easier and more consistently -- 3 of last 4).

When I ride I alternate between music and podcasts and both help my head. I see a lot of beautiful things. Socialize with dogs trying to eat me or just running alongside to say hello. All this without store stops (thanks Covid craziness) by carrying more water than a camel.

YMMV, all of our situations are different, and if your love of bikes means a ride in the neighborhood to pick up coffee and then head home to catch up on the community here that's awesome.

Last, back to goals, as my fitness is coming back I'm trying to determine my next goal. I watched a bunch of youtube documentaries last night about The Great Divide Trail. 2700 miles. Long stretches without services. I'm probably a year of planning and prep but I think that's my next big goal.

What's your goal for post-Covid craziness (what keeps you going in these strange times)? What's you daily or weekly goal with regard to riding bikes?

:hello::hello::hello::hello:

saab2000
06-29-2020, 07:12 AM

I'm with you here. I don't want to worship numbers either but they give me goals to shoot for. My life has also been full of work obligations, some of which were self-induced and I'm being forced to reduce because of the COVID situation. It's actually been nice.

I'm not yet up to 200 miles/week but it's not impossible. The issue with that is where I ride being mediocre, at best. But there are solutions to be found. More miles equals more smiles for me.

As to the helmet, get another one, wash them after every ride or two in the summer and rotate through at least two of them. Same with gloves. It keeps it much nicer.

Gummee
06-29-2020, 07:28 AM
Is this why I have at least 5 helmets hanging in my basement?

that's why *I* have em on the helmet shelf.

...and why there're more than 1 pair of shoes.

...and more'n 1 pair of bibs.

etc

M

zennmotion
06-29-2020, 09:54 AM
Wear a hat, sweaty helmets are disgusting. But, sometimes you need to skip the ride and eat a taco.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZwbCsONsSE

OtayBW
06-29-2020, 10:09 AM
Wear a hat, sweaty helmets are disgusting. But, sometimes you need to skip the ride and eat a taco.
...or 4...

pdonk
06-29-2020, 01:44 PM
This month I will ride 1000km in a month for the first time ever.

As I approached 700km, it became real that 1000km was possible. I have forced myself to ride a few days that I have not really wanted to ride, but realized the bigger picture was the 1000km.

It has been fun and hard, with no ride over 90km and no ride ending later than 10:30am.

oldfatslow
06-29-2020, 02:06 PM
This month I will ride 1000km in a month for the first time ever.

As I approached 700km, it became real that 1000km was possible. I have forced myself to ride a few days that I have not really wanted to ride, but realized the bigger picture was the 1000km.

It has been fun and hard, with no ride over 90km and no ride ending later than 10:30am.

Awesome. Congrats. What's the next goal? Repeat? 3 months in a row? Bigger?

pdonk
06-29-2020, 02:44 PM
Awesome. Congrats. What's the next goal? Repeat? 3 months in a row? Bigger?

With another new family member due in 3 weeks, I am thinking this may be my swan song of riding for the year - this was also another motivator to crank the kms out. Will hopefully get in 600-700 km before the baby comes. The feat for it will be that no ride will be farther than 20km from my house, notwithstanding that most will be 50km long.

I am still hoping to get the same mileage as last year, that only requires another 1000km between now and November.

oldpotatoe
06-30-2020, 06:35 AM
Oldfatslow(interesting screen name-describes me too:))
It's good to have goals.

Goals are good, and everybody's is different. MY goals right now is to wake up each day, stay healthy and maybe ride, maybe not. Strange times..

YMMV, yo!

texbike
06-30-2020, 07:54 AM

Great post. Congrats on getting back to where you want to be!

Texbike

buddybikes
06-30-2020, 08:11 AM
I had my best month since 2 different back surgeries and knee surgery.

..now if I could walk (my stenosis, I can ride fine but can't walk 1 mile :-( )

pdonk
06-30-2020, 09:13 AM
And my goal of 1000km in a month is completed.

Distance = 1016km - may go up to 1020 if I get home early enough to go for a ride with my daughter, total distance includes a few rides with my daughter.
Hours Ridden= 42
Days ridden = 22
Days ridden in the rain = 1

All rides finished and home / back with the family by 10:30 am
Longest ride 88km

And for a gratuitous bike pic when today's ride was done.

Goals are fun, as long as they don't reduce the enjoyment of the activity.