PDA

View Full Version : Best Class B Motor Home to fit bikes inside

elcolombiano
06-28-2020, 12:09 AM
I am thinking about buying a Class B Motorhome. These are converted vans. The ones in Europe have the bed elevated in the back in order to accommodate a garage underneath. The ones sold in the US don't seem to have this.

Do you know of any Class B Motorhomes sold in the US where I can store bicycles inside it with out cluttering it up?

Also the ones in Europe have a table with a bench in order to enjoy a meal or use as an office. The ones in the US seem to have cocktail tables instead.

Lastly the ones in Europe have efficient 4 cylinder diesel engines with manual transmissions. We don't seem to have that in the US either.

I would like one under 22 feet long that I can park like a car in the street.

weisan
06-28-2020, 12:50 AM
Would you like to live in Europe?

Bruce K
06-28-2020, 12:59 AM
I would almost guarantee the diesel/manual combination would be a total no-go here

As for furniture options - have you contacted any dealers on the availability of different configurations or customization options?

I would think there might be some screaming deals post quarantine as they try to reduce inventory in a time where there may not be a strong market. That might leave room in your budget for custom modifications.

If there is a dealer network for the brand here there might be a way to import a single unit - not cheap but it sometimes happens with cars.

BK

roguedog
06-28-2020, 01:03 AM
I think this is something like you're looking for? http://freedomvans.co/project/polley-gone/

These folks custom build to various needs. I fell down that rabbit hole a couple of months ago.. watching each of their amazing builds and dreaming....

Have fun...

roguedog
06-28-2020, 01:05 AM
This one too but doesn't look quite as much like a home on wheels. more transport: https://www.outsidevan.com/van/free-range/

I liked the freedom van folks. Look like folks who really design it with you

tomato coupe
06-28-2020, 01:19 AM
Winnebago Revel. They’re everywhere.

Blue Jays
06-28-2020, 01:39 AM
Many of these van/truck/motorhome companies have displayed vehicles at bicycle shows.
Take a look at those vendor lists as they are likely most familiar with the needs of cyclists.

elcolombiano
06-28-2020, 02:23 AM

I think the US is on the banned list for traveling to Europe now. To much COVID in the US.

Gummee
06-28-2020, 07:50 AM
No such thing as a van with a manual in the US. I have lots of jealousy watching British tv shows and see the manuals in the vans.

The 'equip the van' rabbit hole goes very deep. Stay away from Expedition Portal.

M

ntb1001
06-28-2020, 07:55 AM
I’ve seen reports that demand outstrips inventory in the RV world recently due to people planning stay at home vacations now.
Probably not many Covid deals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paredown
06-28-2020, 08:21 AM
I’ve seen reports that demand outstrips inventory in the RV world recently due to people planning stay at home vacations now.

Yes--along with building swimming pools if you are in the affluent crowd. Around the tri-state area, the pool guys are so swamped that affluent people are having to settle for low-class above ground models.:)

R3awak3n
06-28-2020, 08:31 AM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

its a terrible time to buy a camper van.

the price of Vanagons have sky rockets, its crazy. I keep an eye because I have been wanting one for many many years and its absolutely insane right now.

572cv
06-28-2020, 08:47 AM

I took the point to be that the OP was looking for a small touring van, and that’s about all you can get in Europe, so, there is the most variety there. But with respect to diesel and manual, that is even being phased out in Europe because of pollution. Manuals are also harder to manage for efficiency with a vehicle computer set up, so that’s going away. More fun to drive? Yup, but too bad. We did a bike ride the length of the Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge, with a Sprinter Van as the tour wagon. It was quite good, and would be a good base for any custom set up, I’d guess.

C40_guy
06-28-2020, 09:37 AM
Yes--along with building swimming pools if you are in the affluent crowd. Around the tri-state area, the pool guys are so swamped that affluent people are having to settle for low-class above ground models.:)

And according to today's NY Times, underground bunkers. One New York resident was quoted in the article as saying that he had an underground bunker installed while he was having a pool installed, so his neighbors wouldn't know...

If things go so far sideways that an underground bunker is needed to shield from whatever, I'm not sure I want to be around on the far side of that underground stay....

clyde the point
06-28-2020, 11:46 AM
The tall Ford or Dodge Ram vans make a great platform for DIY. Lots of interior options.

robt57
06-28-2020, 12:10 PM
The tall Ford or Dodge Ram vans make a great platform for DIY. Lots of interior options.

I recently sold my old Voyager 5 speed, a rare bird. Was not that big so use compromises due to that. But my last manual daily driver, fail on my part automatic now for daily driver. But have a 78 MGB too. Need clutch car in quiver...

I met someone the other day that just took delivery of the RAM van, 6 cyl gas raised roof, $39k. I am 6'1" and had good head clearance standing in it, no duck getting in the back either, nice.

I was on my knees a lot in my little 5 speed voyager. Which was not that big a deal as I not living in it, and sleep laying down. Bike locked to rack, rack locked to hitch, else I'd have to sleep with bike in car when I did overnights.

rice rocket
06-29-2020, 12:01 PM
Are you looking for the manual transmission for efficiency-sake or you just like to row?

The Promaster was released in the US with a diesel and a robo-manual, it was generally regarded as terrible and it disappeared quickly.

JAGI410
06-29-2020, 01:10 PM
Speaking of rabbit holes....japanese imported vans...

https://www.vanlifenorthwest.com/space-cabin

Easy to find Delicas or Toyotas with a manual trans. I've been looking almost seriously. Hard to give up my full size Chevy van though.

hobbanero
06-29-2020, 01:18 PM
As has been mentioned, demand for RVs is high right now, so there are no deals to be had. You can look for an older Sprinter that was built out with a bike garage. I friend of mine had an early 2000s Sprinter in the short wheelbase version that was easy to park in cities, and set up for camping. Tradeoff was no internal bike storage.

Ken Robb
06-29-2020, 02:23 PM
We have a couple of HUGE RV dealers in San Diego. I would start there to see what is available that suits your needs. They sell new and used and I guess their sales people must be pretty hep to the industry because RVs are all they sell. Whether you buy from them or not you will learn a lot so if you look at private party sales you will be able to evaluate the offerings there.

Andy sti
06-29-2020, 02:29 PM
I think you need to go custom. So many options out there now. The European market for custom is no better other than chassis choices.

Mine
https://i.imgur.com/7B6vfQ5.jpg?1

tkbike
06-29-2020, 08:04 PM
This is so cool and local!

https://fortcollins.craigslist.org/rvs/d/basalt-toyota-custom-camper-rv-van/7147382963.html

mhespenheide
06-29-2020, 09:25 PM
I think you need to go custom. So many options out there now. The European market for custom is no better other than chassis choices.

:eek: I think if I'm in Bend again, I need to come over and drool over your van.

I'm over here mulling over a former thread about converting a cargo trailer. I'm priced out of the van market.

54ny77
06-29-2020, 09:28 PM
there are a mind boggling # of van conversion companies out there.

take a trip to a big rv dealer.

only limitation is the budget.

tomato coupe
06-29-2020, 09:40 PM
only limitation is the budget.
https://earthroamer.com/hd/

($1.7M base price)

froze
06-30-2020, 06:02 PM
How many people will be camping in the trailer with you?

Do you want a shower and a toilet?

At 22 feet it's a little small for more than one person...unless you find one with a murphy bed, or a bed that stows up against the ceiling, then the whole camper becomes a living area till you go to bed.

They don't make small RV's that have a toy hauler in the back, it would take up too much space into the living quarters, so you would have to get a bike rack that you can mount to the rear of the trailer.

https://www.rvingplanet.com/blog/top-5-best-class-b-rvs-for-couples/

https://camperreport.com/11-must-see-class-b-motorhome-floor-plans/

https://www.crowsurvival.com/5-best-class-b-rvs-for-full-time-living/

Some of those listed in the sites I gave may not be available in the US, not sure if that's the case, but some of those I've never heard of which makes me think they're Euro RV's.