PDA

View Full Version : What are road ride options in or near Red Hook NY?

cd_davis
06-27-2020, 03:49 PM
The CEO and I are visiting her best friend early August in Red Hook NY. On our last trip over from Metro Boston, the area looked great for biking.
Can you Paceliners make a few recommendations? I am hanging 5-6 window treatments for them, so that should be good for a "bring a bike and take rides" pass right?
Thanks,
Chris

rohan
06-27-2020, 03:53 PM
There are a few good ones here! https://www.roberts-1.com/bikehudson/ I would recommend riding north from Red Hook to Germantown and Clermont, crossing but avoiding Route 9 or 9G, or east toward Taconic State Park.

Feel free to run any route ideas by me. I grew up in Red Hook and just did a nice 25-mile ride from Bard to Germantown and back via Tivoli earlier this month.

Buzz Killington
06-27-2020, 06:53 PM
https://www.scenichudson.org/wp-content/uploads/legacy/farmland-cycling-tour-routes.pdf

All of these start at Poet’s Walk in Red Hook.

R3awak3n
06-27-2020, 07:21 PM
What you looking for? Gravel? Road?

cd_davis
06-27-2020, 07:24 PM
Can bring road or gravel, which might be fun for a change.

Eager to hear ideas from locals....thanks.

efixler
06-27-2020, 10:21 PM
So many good rides, I’m not sure where to start. This is my area.

If you want to keep it from being too hilly, look at river road, up through Tivoli and then Germantown coming south on Church st or one of the parallel north south roads.

If you want to get a little hillier, try Crestwood up to feller Newmarket road and up towards Elizaville, or Turkey Hill Road, or the network of roads near the top of Sawmill Road.

Or, head down to Rhinebeck via Yantz-Pells-Cedar Heights-Wey.

Or...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fiamme red
06-27-2020, 11:32 PM
There are many great roads in that area. You should ride by the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome (sadly, no air shows this year).

What kind of distance are you looking for?

Mr. Pink
06-28-2020, 11:03 AM
Great riding in that area. Check out this club's FB page for some stuff.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/63636370946/?ref=share

Edit: That was interesting. If you do a Google search for Mid Hudson Bicycle Club, you, of course, get their website, which doesnt seem to be as useful as their Facebook group, but, scroll on down, and I got a link to all of their (well, a lot) rides on Ride With GPS, but they only opened with the app on my pad. Pretty cool. There's a lot there, downloadable. So, search Ride With GPS Mid Hudson Bicycle Club, and see if that works for you. Download the app if you dont have it.

One more thing: If you're riding away from most towns, like Rhineback and Hudson, carry plenty of water and snacks. Not many places to stock up. But that's nice, makes for fairly quiet riding.

vertebraille
06-28-2020, 12:01 PM
If you're short on time, doing a few laps at Prospect Park in the early morning can be great. Especially coming from Boston, it's nice to ride a 3 mile loop with no car traffic.

cd_davis
06-28-2020, 01:30 PM
Thanks to all for your advice. Will go on Google maps to get the lay of the land. Thinking 1.5 to 2 hour ride at most; even though I'm working for my visit by hanging window shades and blinds, the CEO would think a ride to be rude.
But I've already cleared it with the hostess and her husband.:banana::bike:

cd_davis
07-11-2022, 09:21 AM
Same Deal - visiting the Red Hook NY friends - any good gravel ride recommendations?
Thanks and stay safe,
Chris