PDA

View Full Version : Help needed in the Clearwater Fla. area (Allan Wanta)

ls1togo
06-27-2020, 12:08 PM
I need help or maybe guidance in the Clearwater Fla. area, specifically with Allan Wanta. Back in April, after reading generally positive reports about Allan Wanta's work and communications and having correspondence with him, I shipped my Serotta Ottrott to him for refinishing. Allan quoted a time of "could be as much as 2 months"....He received the frame on May 1st and all was fine until I asked for a status by email on June 17th and then again on the 24th...There has been no response.
It seems odd given his earlier communications and his reputation, needless to say, in these risky times it worries me.
Any suggestions?, or does anyone have Allan's phone number?
Any help would be appreciated

Velocipede
06-27-2020, 12:39 PM
I need help or maybe guidance in the Clearwater Fla. area, specifically with Allan Wanta. Back in April, after reading generally positive reports about Allan Wanta's work and communications and having correspondence with him, I shipped my Serotta Ottrott to him for refinishing. Allan quoted a time of "could be as much as 2 months"....He received the frame on May 1st and all was fine until I asked for a status by email on June 17th and then again on the 24th...There has been no response.
It seems odd given his earlier communications and his reputation, needless to say, in these risky times it worries me.
Any suggestions?, or does anyone have Allan's phone number?
Any help would be appreciated

I know it sounds bad to say, but patience right now is a great thing. My painter in MN ended up getting COVID and that pushed things back over 4 weeks. He's swamped and trying to get caught up and it's taking him sometimes a week or more even to answer emails. I have a couple frames in the works right now. Just trying to be patient.

velomateo
06-27-2020, 12:42 PM
I'm sorry to hear this about your frame, I know how frustrating this can be. I believe I replied to your previous thread with a NO vote for Wanta. I believe Allan has done good work in the past, but the work he's done for me has been less than stellar. He does charge less than other, more prestigious painters - so you can insert the ol' you get what you pay for adage here.
When he did the last (very last) frame for me, his communication throughout the project was very poor. It was initially good when were setting up the work, but after he received the frame, it dropped off. Also, I gave him very specific details and included photos of what I wanted. Two moths later I get blurry photos, that look as if they were taken with a flip phone, and right away there are issues. Serotta logos look like balloon letters, cut outs are the wrong color. So I ask him to fix it, he does, and I get more flip phone pics.
One of the main reasons I chose Allan for this job was because the fork on this Serotta had an issue. I figured he's also a frame builder, so he can evaluate and address it. When the frame arrived back to me, the fork was exactly the same as when I shipped it. The paint job was terrible, amateurish at best. I requested a refund and we settled on reduced fee - which I still kick myself for accepting...live and learn.
I don't like to slam guys on forums, but Allan's name gets mentioned a lot when people are researching repaints, and his work has really slipped IMO.
I would suggest that you carpet bomb him with emails until he answers, or hopefully someone here can go there and retrieve your frame for you. I hope the best for you.

fignon's barber
06-27-2020, 12:47 PM
I ran into him on a local MUT back in maybe February. He was working as a wrench at Trinity Cyclery in New Port Richey, FL. Might want to try there. I'm sure he's just backed up. He's a very nice guy.

robt57
09-06-2021, 04:09 PM
Any updates on Alan??

ls1togo
09-06-2021, 04:40 PM
In my case, Alan delivered my completed Ottrott way back in the early fall of 2020...completed as promised...was a great job!