PDA

View Full Version : velocity rims?

feta99
01-26-2007, 09:32 PM
Hey there,

My LBS recently built a set of wheels for me with Velocity rims. The wheel vibrates during heavy braking(on a downhill, for example) and I'm pretty sure it is not out of true. I checked the wheel and noticed that there is a ridge on the braking surface that the brake pads catch each revolution of the wheel. Both wheels have this ridge. I was a little surprised to see this ridge as my old open pros had a very smooth and well machined surface. Is this common for Velocity rims? Should I take them back to my LBS or file the ridge down?

Thanks for the help in advance,
AC

shinomaster
01-27-2007, 01:44 AM
Is it the seam where the rim is welded? This will wear down over time to be smooth. My front campy Shamal has that problem.
Are you using cantilevers or calipers? Is it brake chatter?

pdxmech13
01-27-2007, 11:44 AM
somewhat common w/velocity's unfortunatly. i got the same thing on my front aerohead. it will go away or you can manually sand it down. if you don't like those options see if the bussiness can get you a new one at NC

catulle
01-27-2007, 11:51 AM
I have a pair of wheels with Velocity rims and American Classics hubs. They were built by a guy in Baltimore that a friend recommended. Never again. Neither the rims nor the hubs. Coprogestalt, atmo...

rpettet
01-27-2007, 12:54 PM
I had the same problem. I sanded mine down after calling Velocity. They are fine now.

dvancleve
01-27-2007, 01:31 PM
Velocity doesn't weld the seam. I would get some wet/dry sandpaper, 100 grit or so and carefully sand the seam until it is smooth. Then you should be good to go...

Doug

Is it the seam where the rim is welded? This will wear down over time to be smooth. My front campy Shamal has that problem.
Are you using cantilevers or calipers? Is it brake chatter?

stevep
01-27-2007, 01:46 PM
emery cloth.

shinomaster
01-27-2007, 02:08 PM
[QUOTE=dvancleve]Velocity doesn't weld the seam. I would get some wet/dry sandpaper, 100 grit or so and carefully sand the seam until it is smooth. Then you should be good to go...

Doug[/QUOT

do they glue it?

dave thompson
01-27-2007, 02:15 PM
Velocity doesn't weld the seam. I would get some wet/dry sandpaper, 100 grit or so and carefully sand the seam until it is smooth. Then you should be good to go...

Doug

do they glue it?
Octopus tentacles hold the seam together. ;)

labratmatt
01-27-2007, 02:22 PM
Just pins from what I understand.

My front one is makes noise when I brake, but this didn't start until it was involved in a wreck late last season. I need to sand it down I guess.

Other than this minor thing, I have nothing but good things to say about my Velocity Aeroheads.

dvancleve
01-27-2007, 02:33 PM
Nope, it is pressed together over a short sleeve (you can see it through the spoke holes nearest the joint). Once you start tensioning a wheel the force from the spokes pulls it all together anyway. I once built a wheel with a Mavic MA2 that had a small gap at the joint, maybe 1mm. As I started to tension the wheel it pulled shut.

Doug

Doug

do they glue it?

Kevan
01-27-2007, 04:31 PM
and still rollin'.

PanTerra
01-28-2007, 12:18 PM
This is why I prefer Open Pro's over the Arrowheads. I have a Velocity Sparticus wheelset with the Deep-V rims. Never had a problem with those bomb-proof rims but I like that mavic was welded as opposed to just pinning of the Velocity rim.