PDA

View Full Version : What ever happened to Power Cordz?

FastforaSlowGuy
06-26-2020, 04:07 PM
Aren't they the weight weenie "cable" of choice, or did they go under? I don't see them being sold any longer. I know they were pretty tricky to install, but being homebound and with a new project inbound, I thought it would be the perfect time to give them a look.

charliedid
06-26-2020, 04:44 PM
What do they do?

mdeth1313
06-26-2020, 04:48 PM
Maybe they went under. Website seems to have disappeared. I still have them on 2 of my bikes. Brake cords worked better than derailleur cables. In sram shifters, the derailleur cords would often shred.

I had a really good experience with them and they last a hell of a lot longer than you'd think.

FastforaSlowGuy
06-26-2020, 04:48 PM
Alternative to metal cables for shifting and braking.

https://www.velonews.com/gear/road-gear/wrenched-and-ridden-power-cordz-brake-and-shifter-cables/#:~:text=Correctly%20installed%20Power%20Cordz%20g ive,contaminants%20from%20the%20road%2C%20either.

charliedid
06-26-2020, 04:57 PM
Interesting, never heard of them. Seems like a cool idea since they do not corrode. I think cost would be a tough sell and let's face it bike shops like consumables so they can make a buck.

FastforaSlowGuy
06-26-2020, 05:11 PM
Interesting, never heard of them. Seems like a cool idea since they do not corrode. I think cost would be a tough sell and let's face it bike shops like consumables so they can make a buck.

Have you checked out the cost of those link cable systems (Nokon, Alligator, etc.)? Or titanium inner cables? But I agree, a cable that can last years, not months, isn't good for LBS economics. The only place I know that sold them regularly was Fairwheel Bikes, but featherweight parts is kind of their schtick, so it makes sense.

charliedid
06-26-2020, 05:29 PM
Have you checked out the cost of those link cable systems (Nokon, Alligator, etc.)? Or titanium inner cables? But I agree, a cable that can last years, not months, isn't good for LBS economics. The only place I know that sold them regularly was Fairwheel Bikes, but featherweight parts is kind of their schtick, so it makes sense.

I think it's the sort of add-on some shops might sell with a custom. I see that...

At first I thought maybe you were talking about speaker wire :)

Velocipede
06-26-2020, 06:28 PM
I have a couple derailleur and brake wires still new in the packaging. The reason they are gone is they had issues.

They had problems due to the binder bolts.
They had problems due to the cable ferrules.
They had problems due to the thickness of the wires.
They had problems due to the housing.
They had problems with the heads popping off.

I never had any of the issues other than the thickness problem. But I heard about the issues.

mep
06-26-2020, 06:34 PM
I remember they were redesigning their product lineup about a year or two ago, they stopped direct sales on their website and alluded to some new products coming. I haven't checked lately until you pointed out their website no longer works. Stands to reason they were running into issues and may no longer be in production. It may not be a bad idea snagging some if you can still find them.

charliedid
06-26-2020, 06:50 PM
I have a couple derailleur and brake wires still new in the packaging. The reason they are gone is they had issues.

They had problems due to the binder bolts.
They had problems due to the cable ferrules.
They had problems due to the thickness of the wires.
They had problems due to the housing.
They had problems with the heads popping off.

I never had any of the issues other than the thickness problem. But I heard about the issues.

So you're saying they had problems?

Velocipede
06-26-2020, 10:11 PM
So you're saying they had problems?

LOL! Just a few.

oldpotatoe
06-27-2020, 06:21 AM

Stainless inner wires didn't either..BIG $ answer to a pretty simple(and low$) question, IMHO..BUT, I think they are no mas...

Maybe they were made by AbsoluteBlack??

Kidding...:)

djg21
06-27-2020, 06:36 AM
Aren't they the weight weenie "cable" of choice, or did they go under? I don't see them being sold any longer. I know they were pretty tricky to install, but being homebound and with a new project inbound, I thought it would be the perfect time to give them a look.

I have a set of Gore Ride-on cables NIB if interested.

Blue Jays
06-27-2020, 08:04 AM
Who cares about safe, robust, and reliable braking? It is all about saving WEIGHT! :D

Velocipede
06-27-2020, 12:29 PM
I have a set of Gore Ride-on cables NIB if interested.

Are they the ORIGINAL versions or the newer ones when SRAM started using them? If they're the originals, I'd be down for them.

peanutgallery
06-27-2020, 05:48 PM
If you find your cable need beyond quality stainless/polished and good housing...for the love of God, go electric and hydro

All the gore and segmented stuff is a problem in search of a solution. Power cords figured that out, hope nobody was bankrupted by it. Found a few sets of NOS segmented systems in my treasures not to long ago and I just threw them in the trash. Not worth the time/effort to install... on anything. Same goes for gore

Mark McM
06-27-2020, 06:35 PM
If you find your cable need beyond quality stainless/polished and good housing...for the love of God, go electric and hydro

All the gore and segmented stuff is a problem in search of a solution. Power cords figured that out, hope nobody was bankrupted by it. Found a few sets of NOS segmented systems in my treasures not to long ago and I just threw them in the trash. Not worth the time/effort to install... on anything. Same goes for gore

So, if one is looking to improve their brake cables, you're solution is to replace the entire bicycle? Do you buy a new car when the windshield wipers wear out?

It is true that segmented housing and gore cables are little more expensive, and take a little more time to install. But both can improve braking or shifting, at about 1% of the cost of replacing a bicycle. And no, electric shifting isn't always better. Every time I jump on a bike with electric shifting, one of the first things I notice is how much slower it shifts than my (Gore cable equipped) Campagnolo Ergo or Ultra shifters.

peanutgallery
06-27-2020, 06:55 PM
If lots of time and labor results in a 1% improvement....I put the time as a lot more

There's absolutely no way that you can tell the difference between mechanical and electrical shifting, other than the fact you don't have to change the cables. We aren't talking F1 cars or fighter planes here. We're talking MAMILs

Front shifting, way better

So, if one is looking to improve their brake cables, you're solution is to replace the entire bicycle? Do you buy a new car when the windshield wipers wear out?

It is true that segmented housing and gore cables are little more expensive, and take a little more time to install. But both can improve braking or shifting, at about 1% of the cost of replacing a bicycle. And no, electric shifting isn't always better. Every time I jump on a bike with electric shifting, one of the first things I notice is how much slower it shifts than my (Gore cable equipped) Campagnolo Ergo or Ultra shifters.